What is the lube part in an oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they say lube oil and filter, what do they lube? I have a 95 Taurus and 02 Grand Caravan and just started doing my own oil changes but not sure what to lube and what type of lube?

Please keep it simple, only changed the oil and tranny fluid on each once, so still learning.

Thanks.

There was a time when all cars and trucks had grease fittings on the moveable parts of the front suspension that had to be greased at every oil change. Now just about every car has sealed, permantly greased front suspensions so no need to "lube" these. You will probably just find these fittings on trucks anymore. But you should still be lubing door and hood hinges. I use spray on white grease.

I believe that the lube refers to the chassis grease points or bushings. Most newer cars have sealed units, so you don't need to grease them. Older rigs have grease fitting for which you hook up a grease gun to the nipple located at various points on the front end. The two cars you have probably don't have them.

HOWEVER, I think useing white lithium grease on ALL hinges (Hood, Trunk, Door, Gas Lid) is extremely important AS WELL.

As crawling under your vechile and shooting White Lithium grease up onto bushings, and suspension components. Depending where.

"lube oil" can be construed as a term in itself as well. As opposed to 'hydraulic oil', or 'cooling oil'.

"lube oil" and "filter".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back