Clean the used filter and reusing them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no recycling centre in my country that collect used oil filter... only used oil recycler...

I tried my best to drain off the oil by leaving the oil filter upside down for months before i threw it off to the garbage bin. which i feel very guilty as i know im gg contanminate the ground water as the garbage will go to the landfill...

I was thinking, is it possible to clean up the oil filter by rinsing the oil filter with petrol/ kerosene, then drain off the eccessive oil+kerosene mix before i reuse the oil filter? will the petrol/ kerosene damage the filter element?

i know that the moden oil filter is not meant to be reuse, but if i could extend the lifespan of the filter by 2x, i could at least reduce the amount of pollution..

any comment?

I wouldn't do that just buy a new one. There only like 3 bucks anyways. Drain the old oil out of the filter and then just throw it away.

If you poke a hole in the top you get more out.

Hopefully Singapore believes in the "sanitary landfill" with a liner... lots of other nasty stuff in there besides a little oil. My trash gets burned for energy (bye oil!) then a magnet picks out iron for recycling.

If you are only going 3-5k, you can reuse the filter as-is. Cut one open after use, you'll see there isn't much trapped in the media.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
If you are only going 3-5k, you can reuse the filter as-is. Cut one open after use, you'll see there isn't much trapped in the media.

Im driving a Toyota, the recomended OCI is 10k KM (or 6000 miles, using fully syn oil). If Im gg to reuse the oil filter for twice, that means im gg to use it for 12K miles...

Cutting the oil filter to examine is not easy. once cut, the metal dust will dropped into the filter media and i wont be able to see what is originally inside and what is from my engine..

besides, i dont want to cut my finger anymore...i tried to cut open the oil filter so that i could remove the filter media and dispose it off while recyle the filter housing... in the end, i donated many drops of blood to the landfill....
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: tigershark1976

Im driving a Toyota, the recomended OCI is 10k KM (or 6000 miles, using fully syn oil). If Im gg to reuse the oil filter for twice, that means im gg to use it for 12K miles...

Any good filter will go 12k...

DP,P1,Mobil,Amsoil,RP,NG,WIX

and get the proper tool if your going to want to do this recycling thing and you don't have to worry about cutting your fingers.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you poke a hole in the top you get more out.

Hopefully Singapore believes in the "sanitary landfill" with a liner... lots of other nasty stuff in there besides a little oil. My trash gets burned for energy (bye oil!) then a magnet picks out iron for recycling.

for Singapore, we incinerate the garbage b4 sending it to the landfill... and yap, its sanitary landfill .. but I dont think the liner can last forever... sooner or later, the harmful element from the incineration ashes will get its way out from the landfill.

Thats y i would rather reduce such waste rather than hoping the gov doing something abt it later...

Hmm... poking a hole on the top?? Y didnt i think off it!!!

Originally Posted By: daman

and get the proper tool if your going to want to do this recycling thing and you don't have to worry about cutting your fingers.
56.gif

is original filter consider "good filter"?? over here, only toyota original filter and denso filter (which is the same) could be found easily...

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I wouldn't do that just buy a new one. There only like 3 bucks anyways. Drain the old oil out of the filter and then just throw it away.

in Singapore, oil filter aint expensive as well... only cost me S$5 or US3.60 for a piece of Denso filter.. its the environmental impact that im concern.. the time to wash the filter may took me more than 30 mins and i can earn a another 3 filters by working additional 1/2 an hour...

56.gif

is original filter consider "good filter"?? over here, only toyota original filter and denso filter (which is the same) could be found easily...

denso is good yes and i believe some Toyota filters are also made by denso so i dont think you can go wrong.

search the site for denso there's pics of them opened up.

56.gif

denso is good yes and i believe some Toyota filters are also made by denso so i dont think you can go wrong.

search the site for denso there's pics of them opened up.

thanks for your advise bro...

in Singapore, oil filter aint expensive as well... only cost me S$5 or US3.60 for a piece of Denso filter.. its the environmental impact that im concern.. the time to wash the filter may took me more than 30 mins and i can earn a another 3 filters by working additional 1/2 an hour...

How many kilometers/miles do you manage in a year? As some have suggested, changing it every other time might work.

No matter how you figure it, you're going to have an environmental impact with your filter. Get a filter cutter and get some can crushing mechanism (make one) and squeeze the element and collect the oil. Find a trash stream that utilizes an incinerator ..recycle the metal.

By cleaning a filter you're using up other resources that may degrade their utility or create another waste disposal problem.

I hate the thought of sending used oil in a filter to the landfill, too. I keep a sharpened nail in my oil change kit. For old oil filters, I punch a hole through the sidewall near the base. Then I put the filter on the drain post on the oil collection pan and punch a small hole near the top to vent it. The oil drains right out. I bet a cup or so of used oil drains from the filter.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

WHOA hold up here!..

You make $21 USD Per hour at your job in singapore, or 30 Dollars in your currency?

i know that the moden oil filter is not meant to be reuse, but if i could extend the lifespan of the filter by 2x, i could at least reduce the amount of pollution..

any comment?

I would never clean and re-use an oil filter (unless it was designed to be re-used). All spin-on and cartridge filters are meant to be a one time use.

Instead, why not use a good filter that is meant to last 10 to 15K miles if you are worried about changing them so often.

If the filter gets incinerated before going to the landfill, you will only be sending a metal can to the landfill. The filter media, rubber, and oil will get burned off.

Buddy of mine said he takes them to a recycle place and the recycle guys said the oil filters get recycled into rebar.

I agree use the filter twice,two oil changes if your that worried.

When reusing the oil filter for a second OCI, is it recomended to remove the oil filter, drain it and reistall or just leave on the filter, drain the oil and fill 'er up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back