Advice On My First Bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The content of a "troll" posting generally falls into several areas. It may consist of an apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately offensive insult to the readers of the news group or a broad request for trivial follow-up postings.[5]

If arguing that a beginner rider is best served by a beginner bike, and not a 70 hp machine that will hang with a Corvette, then I'll gladly take the label of "500cc troll". I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that a bike capable of 0-60 in under 4 seconds could be called "only adequate", especially in the context of a new rider.

MrCritical, the Vulcan 500 is a cool bike - not enough cruisers out there with "sport" type engines. If the ergos do it for you it would be a fine choice.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp

MrCritical, the Vulcan 500 is a cool bike - not enough cruisers out there with "sport" type engines. If the ergos do it for you it would be a fine choice.

Maybe I was expecting too much form the Vulcan 500. I like EX500s. I really liked the Vulcan 500's predecessor, the 454 LTD. That little LTD was mean enough to nip at the heels of a V30 Magna. And the V30 Magna wasn't just "quick for a 500". It was quick for a cruiser in general. (obvious exceptions would be CB1100C, GS1100L, ZN1100 LTD...they were quicker than the littlest Magna but weren't cruisers as much as they were UJMs with stepped seats and pullback bars)

An '07 Honda Shadow VLX 600 with 1500 miles.

Wasn't considering this bike, had seen no reviews or an ad for a used one. I knew Honda didn't make a streetbike between the Rebel and the 750 anymore. I took the MSF course on a Nighthawk, and it was too small.

I was on the interstate traveling between two towns looking at bikes when I called my wife for the dealer's number in the next town to call and see if he had any used bikes. She said to call this small town Honda dealer slightly off the beaten path, and they had a better used bike selection than dealers five time's their size.

So anyway, I got a V-Twin. The only option I can see is a sissy bar (small). I'll probably put some medium sized bags on it sometime in the future, maybe a windshield. I'll post a pic when I pick it up.

Thanks for everyone's help. I may not have bought what you think I should have, but I did listen to each and every bit of advice.

As for the prices on the 500's, the best price on the GS500F was $3999 (new '09) OTD (everything but sales tax, and the 500LTD was $3995 plus freight, prep, tax, ect.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
Corvette top speed-190 MPH standard vette-198 MPH Z06----SV650 129 mph
Big whoop!!! You can see 129 mph ever day ,how often can you see 190 mph?

"An '07 Honda Shadow VLX 600 with 1500 miles."

Smaller riders or those no going to carry a passenger
some times gear up a tooth for less 'buzzy' highway driving.

Way to go Mr. C.

I had a coworker offer to sale me his VLX600. It had some problems but I was still able to test ride it. I was pleasantly surprised with it when it would roar off the line. It had more off the line oomph than my 600cc sportbike. But I'm sure you could clutch it up and put the twin to shame though, never got the nerve for that move since the clutch acted like an on/off switch above 5-6k rpm.

Have a good time and get some ride time in before winter.

Excellent choice! I'm not a cruiser guy myself but have had fun tooling around on my cousin's Vstar 650. Enjoy the [censored] out of it
cheers3.gif

Congrats on a new bike!

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
and the 500LTD was $3995 plus freight, prep, tax, ect.

Yeah, that's about what the dealers around me wanted as well. I ended up finding an '08 one with 4K miles in good shape on craigslist. I bought it for $2700 last weekend and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back