Bikes for comfortable recreational riding?

The Verve felt really good. Almost too good. Upright, good posture, chest wide open. Almost concerning when we want to do longer rides if it’s windy. It felt solid and stable, maybe a tiny bit clumsy or numb. I remember that when I was trying 29er bikes. I bought my Scott because it felt much more agile and nimble than other 29er bikes I had tried. The verve wasn’t bad by any stretch.

I tried the FX3. I liked the position, not stretched out, reasonably upright, comfortable. The seat was comfortable too despite being much smaller. It felt much lighter, much faster, more nimble. It does have a carbon fork, and I assume about 5 lbs lighter. But it also felt fragile. It felt sort of like my road bike with a flat bar. Kind of like a couple bumps or potholes will damage the wheels. I liked how light it felt, and how the geometry was about “just right”.

So I’m curious on others opinions.... verve? Verve with lighter thinner tires (stock are 700x45 and I think 880g each) to lighten up the bike as a whole and the rolling mass? Or do I go fx and potentially wider tires than the 700x32?
What puts a bigger smile on your face: comfort or speed?

32 vs 45 width tires is a BIG difference. 32c tires are barely enough for smooth dirt or gravel, 45 can handle that plus a lot more different terrain. The speed difference is generally overrated. So apply the above advice, don't go skinnier just to be faster.

As pretty much everyone else has indicated an upright seating position is probably what you want for comfort. A hybrid bike seems to be the best choice. For leisurely riding you get a better view of your surroundings and limited speed and low wind resistance are not much of a concern unless it gets windy. I could not go with a longer stem and I installed a BMX handlebar that I like it very much because of its height and width. My hybrid bike has 27.5inch wheels (27.5x2.10 hybrid tires) and an internally geared Shimano Nexus 8 that should be maintenance-free for 5 years. That bike is more than sufficient for recreational riding on the road and on light trails. After every ride I wipe down the chain and I apply Dumonde Tech Classic every 50 miles. That's all the required maintenance.

Last edited:
... and an internally geared Shimano Nexus 8 that should be maintenance-free for 5 years. ...
These internally geared hubs are perfect for this application. I wonder why they aren't used more often. Compared to derailleurs, they are simpler to operate (shift while stopped or moving, while pedaling or coasting), require less maintenance, and give a cleaner look to the bike.

32 vs 45 width tires is a BIG difference. 32c tires are barely enough for smooth dirt or gravel, 45 can handle that plus a lot more different terrain. The speed difference is generally overrated. So apply the above advice, don't go skinnier just to be faster.
Good point. For me, speed. Had both so now I know.

These internally geared hubs are perfect for this application. I wonder why they aren't used more often. Compared to derailleurs, they are simpler to operate (shift while stopped or moving, while pedaling or coasting), require less maintenance, and give a cleaner look to the bike.
Still must be cost and supposed durability.

The FX as I think about it now was light snd nimble enough that it makes me smile. But the verve and all the family biking means more to me.

Maybe at some point I’ll just buy an fix or something with that type geometry (or modify my road bike) to do that.

Never rode one. I really would have preferred if my verve had a 1x drivetrain, but I like the 2x with relatively limited gearing.

Cost and they always had a rep of being heavy and not as mechanically efficient.
Efficiency would be an issue with a performance bike, but with a recreational bike it's in my opinion not a problem. Cost is what? $175-200 for a Nexus 8? A Rohloff 14-speed is like $1,500. In other markets internally geared hubs have been common for over 100 years.

I like to strap a Victrola on my back with a good copy of "The Entertainer" while riding this modern design. I let the breeze blow through my greased and parted down the middle hair. Oh look, a horseless carriage!
Screenshot_20210814-214259_Gallery.jpg

Efficiency would be an issue with a performance bike, but with a recreational bike it's in my opinion not a problem. Cost is what? $175-200 for a Nexus 8? A Rohloff 14-speed is like $1,500. In other markets internally geared hubs have been common for over 100 years.
Probably because most recreational riders here go for cheap? They know they won’t ride much so it is all about value.

I like my 3 speed and sometimes wish I had something with a bit more range and gears—this old Raleigh’s gearing has too tall, almost, not quite low enough and walking for gear ratios. Maybe on my next bike, while I’d love to have a bike that goes to eleven, I know i’d be sad at the first time I need to replace drivetrain parts.

Probably because most recreational riders here go for cheap? They know they won’t ride much so it is all about value.
In those markets where internally geared hubs are popular it's probably less about recreational riding but more about a daily means of transportation that doesn't require constant maintenance.

I like my 3 speed and sometimes wish I had something with a bit more range and gears—this old Raleigh’s gearing has too tall, almost, not quite low enough and walking for gear ratios. Maybe on my next bike, while I’d love to have a bike that goes to eleven, I know i’d be sad at the first time I need to replace drivetrain parts.

You're correct about recreational/light use riders and cost. As far as replacing 10+ speed drivetrain parts, a light recreational rider will never wear things out with a minimal amount of maintenance.

Probably not a replaceable chainring either? In the early days of 1by when cog sets were 11-42, or even 11-46 guys would switch front rings for what kind of trails they were doing to get a low enough climbing gear or high enough road gear.
I see the odd $1000+ late 90's xc bike for sale at $200 or less, which is the best deal in terms of getting a quality all rounder bike IMO. 27 spds, 1 finger brakes V-brakes, and I guess you could pick up 26" wheel sets for cheap and put gravel or road tires on them. The amazon bars and stems are dozens of dollars to set up your riding position and plenty strong enough for rec riding.

Back