mustang vs camaro vs challenger BURNOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care what anyone says, I still love the Camaro SS. I test drove one and the guy let me open it up on the highway and it was bliss. The looks I got from people in BMW's and Benz's on the highway was priceless, for once I think they were jealous of some domestic awesomeness lol.

Isn't that hard on the driveline holding it on the rev limiter then dumping the clutch like that? I was waiting for the driveshaft to fly out of one of those cars.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Isn't that hard on the driveline holding it on the rev limiter then dumping the clutch like that? I was waiting for the driveshaft to fly out of one of those cars.

If it did I would say the car would be poor quality. They know people are going to do WOT clutch dumps and design for it.

It's terrible on the cars. This is why you would never want an ex-press car.

It's not good for the clutch. And if the engines were not warmed up properly before revving them like that, it's not a good thing either.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

If it did I would say the car would be poor quality. They know people are going to do WOT clutch dumps and design for it.

Definitely not designed for it. You think the new car warranty covers use like that?

Originally Posted By: silverrat

Definitely not designed for it. You think the new car warranty covers use like that?

Well, maybe designed is the wrong word. They know people are going to do it, and I'm sure tey try to bulk up the parts and hopefully mitigate the risk of failure.

Friend of mine had a 68 Camaro with a 350. Backed out of his driveway onto the street, reved it good and dumped the clutch. Flywheel shattered and a piece went threw the neighbors house rear brick wall and landed on his couch. Local paper did a story on it with a picture of the neighbor holding a piece of the flywheel.

Last edited:
Hitting the rev limiter is not abuse.

Sidestepping the clutch is, but most any high HP car is BRUTALLY test driven much harder than most any real world driver would.

I have had a pressure plate scatter, and it almost took off a piece of my foot! Happens with autos, too.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

I've worked at 4 dealerships and have seen this type of thing covered many times under warranty.

try 6,000RPM side-step with an engine making 100HP more than stock on a set of slicks. Stock driveline. Yup, broke a tranny, LOL.

But stock? She'd take it all day long.

Originally Posted By: rat

I've worked at 4 dealerships and have seen this type of thing covered many times under warranty.

Me too, this must be a regional thing. I've seen cars get warranty work that came in on flat beds straight from the 1/4 mile track.

My Ford dealer, Varsity in Ann Arbor replaced the clutch on my Termi under warranty. I know many others that have the same experience with dealers around here.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

Me too, this must be a regional thing. I've seen cars get warranty work that came in on flat beds straight from the 1/4 mile track.

My Ford dealer, Varsity in Ann Arbor replaced the clutch on my Termi under warranty. I know many others that have the same experience with dealers around here.

I bought my Expedition from the same Varsity Ford. That was probably the worst sales experience I've ever had. And before anyone asks, I drove 2 hours to buy this thing after looking all day for a family suv that my wife wanted. It was too late at night to keep car shopping and we had already sold our van and needed to have transportation the next morning. After being told that this vehicle was in perfect condition in every way, I arrived to find a busted grille(looked like they ran it into something), obvious paint/body work in the rear qtr, and bad lower ball joints. (The bad ball joints were discovered the next day) When asked about the grille and paintwork, the salesman said, and I quote, "It is what it is." When I called the next day after verifying the ball joints, I was told that they are a maintenance item and they would not cover them.

Jesus,

I see the 10 HP car owning folks have entered the room!
I have a Mcleod Twin Disk clutch holding back just over 400 RWHP and 420 ft/lbs of torque going through a T-56 to a pile o'[censored] F-body 10 bolt and can do a burnout all day.

That is what they are made for, to beat on. That is the whole spirit of those 3 cars.

Stick to your 10 HP Toyotas and Hondas, make sure they never ever see any abuse and never EVERE see red line, because they won't take that beating.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Jesus,

I have a Mcleod Twin Disk clutch holding back just over 400 RWHP and 420 ft/lbs of torque going through a T-56 to a pile o'[censored] F-body 10 bolt and can do a burnout all day.

That is what they are made for, to beat on. That is the whole spirit of those 3 cars.

Stick to your 10 HP Toyotas and Hondas, make sure they never ever see any abuse and never EVERE see red line, because they won't take that beating.

That sir, is ROFLCOPTER worthy
grin2.gif

I bought my Expedition from the same Varsity Ford. That was probably the worst sales experience I've ever had. And before anyone asks, I drove 2 hours to buy this thing after looking all day for a family suv that my wife wanted. It was too late at night to keep car shopping and we had already sold our van and needed to have transportation the next morning. After being told that this vehicle was in perfect condition in every way, I arrived to find a busted grille(looked like they ran it into something), obvious paint/body work in the rear qtr, and bad lower ball joints. (The bad ball joints were discovered the next day) When asked about the grille and paintwork, the salesman said, and I quote, "It is what it is." When I called the next day after verifying the ball joints, I was told that they are a maintenance item and they would not cover them.

I'm assuming this was a used vehicle? I would love to know the name of the salesman if you care to reveal that info.

Oops, little typo on the Mustang. Should be 390tq, not 309.

Looks fun! Nice burnout by the SS, I would take the Stang though :)

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Jesus,

That sir, is ROFLCOPTER worthy
grin2.gif

roflcopter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm assuming this was a used vehicle? I would love to know the name of the salesman if you care to reveal that info.

Yes, it was used. The salesman was Jim Patrello (sp?) If he would have even worked with me a little on the price of the truck, I would feel differently, but unfortunatly he knew my situation and would not budge. I would have much rather have been able to tell him to forget it and find something else, but I was in a spot, and thought I was getting something different based on the phone conversation. He even told me that the service dept had gone over it and replaced anything that was even questionable. The next day I had the service manager email me a copy of the repair order and there was an oil change and front pads. (Very typical of some used car departments)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back