1968 Firebird $27,900 needs lots of work

I'm just amazed at how much money this guy is asking for it. To his credit though, he does a good job walking around and showing you everything that's wrong with the car. It's never been restored. All it has is a paint job. The engine would probably need replacing. It barely runs and doesn't idle smoothly. It would be a very expensive project car for someone.

Looks like a base 350 AT, converted to a 4 speed. I like the car; the only real question is rust.
Paint can hide a lotta problem$. The door rust is a problem. It could be an OK deal (but not at that price) or a huge ripoff.
It's an old car; they are a labor of love...

Bottom line is, always find the best car you can; you will be big bucks ahead.
The car is not original; it might make a good car for mods.

Last edited:
^
How much do you think the car is worth as it sits now?
Depends on what you want. If you are after a 67-68 Firechicken is it worth a look. Do you want a more original car? Or is something less original OK?
I haven't been in the hunt for some time, but I would imagine you could find something like this for $10K. Dunno...

Depends on what you want. If you are after a 67-68 Firechicken is it worth a look. Do you want a more original car? Or is something less original OK?
I haven't been in the hunt for some time, but I would imagine you could find something like this for $10K. Dunno...
I’ve looked for several years for a first gen Firebird. For 10k your pulling it out of the scrap pile.

I'm just amazed at how much money this guy is asking for it. To his credit though, he does a good job walking around and showing you everything that's wrong with the car. It's never been restored. All it has is a paint job. The engine would probably need replacing. It barely runs and doesn't idle smoothly. It would be a very expensive project car for someone.
Only watched the first 7 minutes so far and have no idea where you get that from. Most muscle cars from the 60's have lopey idle from the cam they used, and if not, a carb adjustment or rebuild is minor stuff. The paint job is probably $10k alone.

That engine seems to run just fine ,
i don't get the barely runs comment .
After the engine is fully warmed up, he still has to pump the pedal before starting it. Add to that the shaking at idle and the general sound of it.

$28K and he couldn't even fix the headliner & find a manual transmission column (or at least change the column section)? That's a fair chunk of change for a non-original hack job...

His price is insane. One can purchase a fully restored 1st class 1st gen Firebird 350 for under $40k. IMO his car is worth about $12-$13k if it is a reasonably rust-free example.

Have you owned / driven an older carb'd V8? Or any other carbureted engine?
Yes. My 1970 Ford Torino GT and my 1970 Mercury Cougar XR7. Both had the 351C-4V. I have extensive knowledge of carburetors; both theory and function. Once the engine is warmed up, you're not supposed to have to pump the accelerator pump to get the engine to start. All you should have to do is turn the key.

It runs fine.

It is high - yes (all these places like this are) but without digging trough the pictures in detail it looks like the underbody is solid and it is pretty complete. For someone that had time to fiddle with it and make it better by fixing small things , touching up and tuning it could make a nice driver without a high investment after purchase. I would not buy it if i was looking to fully restore unless there simply isn't another choice that isn't a rust bucket.

I haven't kept up with the firebird market, but typically camaros, firebirds and mustangs flip flop around on what brings the best money and Firebirds are rarer, I can see being one over a Camaro as a draw for some.

Also not every one wants a showroom car or has the stomach for a full on restoration. Id be surprised if you could buy a showroom condition one for twice asking on this one.

Yes 27 large a lot of money (would he throw you off the lot with 22500 or 25?) but it is not really out of reach like 75000 + car you are afraid to drive..... and go to some of the other collector car sites, you can pick apart even the higher dollar ones.

Back