Rotella T6 5w40 vs. Mobil 1 4T 10w40 at the track

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched, but I can't seem to find an answer, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. Just

I have an '06 Yamaha R6 (you know, the one that revs to 18,500
lol.gif
) that I enjoy taking to track days.

I've been using Rotella 5w40 for the last 800 miles or so, and all seems well, and in other bikes. I just wanted to know if I could be doing better with the Mobil1 moto specific oil. 10W40 would be the weight I would think to use. I don't think I need 20w50.

Thanks in advance for your input!

The 4T will be better IMO as it is designed for that type of engine/transmission combined sump, and will most likely hold it's viscosity much better as 4T does not shear much if any. Amsoil makes a good 10W-40 bike-specific oil as well. If you had a much more tame engine and did not track it, then the T6 might work out to be at least cheaper to use, but still not better.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
The 4T will be better IMO as it is designed for that type of engine/transmission combined sump, and will most likely hold it's viscosity much better as 4T does not shear much if any. Amsoil makes a good 10W-40 bike-specific oil as well. If you had a much more tame engine and did not track it, then the T6 might work out to be at least cheaper to use, but still not better.

+1 4T and Amsoil are higher quality and should hold viscosity better, BUT if you use frequent OCIs then there is no reason to not use RTS T6. It has a very robust add pack and will protect the engine well even at that high RPM.

very cool, thanks for the feedback. I picked up some Mobil1 Synth. 4T 10W40 at my local Advance Autoparts for $8/qt. Not a bad deal for motorcycle oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back