Castrol - 0W-30 (GC) - 8,500 mls - 07 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil was changed after 8,500 miles (75% highway, 20% City, 5% off road), after about three months use. The truck had 42,500 miles on it when I changed it (2% left on OLM).

I've heard that gas could come from letting the truck warm up in the mornings. The remote start, in my opinion, is the greatest thing since sliced bread; I let the truck warm for around 5 minutes every morning, due to the 20-40 degree mornings during this OCI.
whistle.gif

Let me know what you all think, and if any more info is needed, just ask.

BlackstoneReport42500milesPaint.png

Last edited:
Iron is a little high but no big deal, the copper is high for some, but GM V-8's are known to shed copper for up to 70K. What does concern me is the lead reading. That number is high and that is not normal.

Everyone says GC is a THICK 30wt., so I guess they are correct.

Are you using any kind of special fuel or fuel and oil additives, especially when you go off-roading?

Not good at all.

Quote:
The remote start, in my opinion, is the greatest thing since sliced bread; I let the truck warm for around 5 minutes every morning, due to the 20-40 degree mornings during this OCI.

I think we can see how well that works for you.

20-40 degrees is not that cold and 5 mins everyday is not good for the engine.

The oil got pretty thick and that is not good.

I'd try another oil, stop with the remote start and shorten the OCI. I've done a few UOAs on my 4.8l V8 and they were 10 times better.

c7485512copy2xm.jpg

Just my thoughts. Thanks for running the UOA!

Take care, Bill

PS: I hope everyone with their blanket syn is good for 10k miles reads this UOA. Giving blanket advise is just STUPID.
06.gif

hmm. I'll let the pro's handle this, but something's off. I would shorten the OCI and stop doing the idle warm ups so much as a start.

the copper is no big deal. these engines show high copper for a long long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Iron is a little high but no big deal, the copper is high for some, but GM V-8's are known to shed copper for up to 70K. What does concern me is the lead reading. That number is high and that is not normal.

Everyone says GC is a THICK 30wt., so I guess they are correct.

Are you using any kind of special fuel or fuel and oil additives, especially when you go off-roading?

Nope, just putting in the regular 87.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

So what are you saying is the cause for the oil thickening?... I'm confused with you saying shorten the OCI, and BlackStone saying go for 5k more miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Try a different oil, thats for sure. Whats in there now?

I put the same oil back in it, it's been a month since I changed it. Took like... 2-3 weeks to hear back from BlackStone.

Originally Posted By: _Wes_

So what are you saying is the cause for the oil thickening?... I'm confused with you saying shorten the OCI, and BlackStone saying go for 5k more miles.

The remote start is NOT helping your engine.

Blackstone is saying to SHORTEN the OCI to no more than 5000 miles.

I don't think you have any coolant problems (these engines are not known for that plus the UOA does not show anything in that area)

Your filtration is good. So that is not a issue.

What I'd do is get something else in the sump, run a short OCI and then use the SAME oil and do another 4-5k run and then UOA. See where you are at then.

Don't stress out but STOP doing what you've done here.

Take care, bill

I'm thinking they want you to reduce your OCI to 5k and check back....

Last edited:

The remote start is NOT helping your engine.

Blackstone is saying to SHORTEN the OCI to no more than 5000 miles.

I don't think you have any coolant problems (these engines are not known for that plus the UOA does not show anything in that area)

Your filtration is good. So that is not a issue.

What I'd do is get something else in the sump, run a short OCI and then use the SAME oil and do another 4-5k run and then UOA. See where you are at then.

Don't stress out but STOP doing what you've done here.

Take care, bill

Thanks for the input Bill. I'm guessing I glanced the 3.2 TBN and the 5K miles, and thought to myself 5k MORE miles.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'm chiming in on the "no warm up is needed" theme. Was about 5 degrees this morning @ my house and my car got < 1 minute of idle time.

Yeah I guess will have to cut that out
frown.gif

Thanks for the input Bill. I'm guessing I glanced the 3.2 TBN and the 5K miles, and thought to myself 5k MORE miles.
33.gif

No problem. We ARE here to help you. As you can see by the UOA I posted, a clean UOA is possible with this engine. (you'll hear from the other brand koolaid drinkers that GM motors are like this all the time)

A single UOA is not the end of the world. But I would change the GC out @ 5000 miles. Then I would change to a different oil and run a 3-4k OCI, then do a 5k run on the SAME oil and UOA that.

Once we get that UOA we can go for it!

I would stop with the remote start. It really is not helping the issue. ( Sorry... I know you LOVE it)
grin2.gif

You are putting on the miles so that will be sooner than later.

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back