0w-30 thicker than 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been intrigued with going to a less viscous oil for my 4-5 mile trip. I decided to look up the specs for both Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE & Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

I was surprised that on paper...(from their websites) the PP is rated thinner.

________________PP 5w-30 ____Mobil 1 0w-30

40c cst _________ 57.5 _______________ 63.1

100c cst _________ 10.3 ________________11.0

Aside from Add packs and chemistry, The PP look like it would flow better.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 meets the specs to be called a 0W-30. The 10W-30 has the numbers to be a 5W-30.

Confusing, isn't it?

I'm running Mobil 1 0W-30 in my moms car right now, but it isn't any better than the Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 it had last winter, which was even colder than this winter has been.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 meets the specs to be called a 0W-30. The 10W-30 has the numbers to be a 5W-30.

Confusing, isn't it?

I'm running Mobil 1 0W-30 in my moms car right now, but it isn't any better than the Valvoline Synpower it had last winter, which was even colder than this winter has been.

I made the change a year ago from Mobil 1 5W30 to PP 5w30 and couldn't be happier. I must have gotten used the extra noise I had with the M1, now I don't hear anything at all. My pre-oiler builds pressure faster with the PP. Good to know it meets the specs of a 0w30.

Thanks guys... I was going to go with a 0w-30 (because thin is in) and it was suggested to me to try the 0w-30. But....

I've read much about viscosity attributes on this great forum and decided to compare. A friend kindly informed me that 40c = 104F... so why would that matter?

It just occurred to me that I'm interested in seeing what these two oils are like at 0c (32F)??? That's probably the coldest I'll see here all winter.

Maybe the 0w-xx weight oils will be thinner at those temps?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Confusing, isn't it?

I'm running Mobil 1 0W-30 in my moms car right now, but it isn't any better than the Valvoline Synpower it had last winter, which was even colder than this winter has been.

I made the change a year ago from Mobil 1 5W30 to PP 5w30 and couldn't be happier. I must have gotten used the extra noise I had with the M1, now I don't hear anything at all. My pre-oiler builds pressure faster with the PP. Good to know it meets the specs of a 0w30.

Thanks... I like the idea of the PP being quieter. Can't wait to try it and se if it helps my noisy HLA's

Man Mobil 1's product data sheets are beginning to suck more and more.

PP 5W-30 / M1 0W-30

MRV - 14,800 (-35 C) / 11,100 (-40 C)
CCS - 5,150 (-35 C) / ???
Pour point - -39 C / ???
HTHS - 3.1 / 2.99

The 0W will be thinner at very low temps like under 32F or especially at the CCS test temps. It may not be thinner at 104F because of the VII. That's what I don't like about 0W30's and 0W40's. Unless you are in serious cold weather a 5W synthetic to me is better if it has less VII.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
The 0W will be thinner at very low temps like under 32F or especially at the CCS test temps.

Maybe, but we wouldn't know since M1 doesn't publish their CCS spec for 0W-30.

The only thing you can rely on for the CCS is at the test temp. Above that, thicker oil is simply thicker. Although the visc calc isn't perfectly accurate at super-cold temps, it can determine which of two oils is thinner.

What I see as a problem with the generalizations is when comparing different grades, say a 5w-20 vs a 0w-30 at -20f. The CCS for w-rating isn't relavent since it's conducted at different temps, and the pumping limits don't correspond either since they are different SAE grades.

So, all we really have is the calculator. What it told me is that it takes a synth 5w-20 to beat a 0w-30 at the near sub-zero temps I encounter, dino 5w-20 won't do it. There again, a 5w beating a 0w. Who can technically demonstrate at what point the 0w-30 is thinner?

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
So if PP 5W-30 meets viscosity specs for 0W-30, why isn't it rated as such?

The general public is clueless about what the numbers mean, and most oldtimers say "I won't use any of that 0W water [censored] in my car!".

So, Pennzoil is just quietly doing everyone a favor.

The general public is clueless about what the numbers mean, and most oldtimers say "I won't use any of that 0W water [censored] in my car!".

So, Pennzoil is just quietly doing everyone a favor.

not to mention, quite a few places in the south dont really carry the 0w oils

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
It just occurred to me that I'm interested in seeing what these two oils are like at 0c (32F)??? That's probably the coldest I'll see here all winter.

Maybe the 0w-xx weight oils will be thinner at those temps?

For sure a good question(s). Although crazy low pour points look sexy most of us want/need to know the viscosity at more mundane temps. say from 0C to.... -20C.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
i just thin my oils with 5w20. cheaper, and solves all problems.

I've considered this option... But I just don't know what I'd end up with? I've got some Mobil 1 10w-30 HM left over. I was thinking 50/50 ratio of that and the 5w-20.

What would that be? There used to be an actual viscosity calculator somewhere... Is this a good practice?

it does not. the 40 deg C viscosity has nothing to do witht he 5w and 0w part and that is why a 0w could be thicker than a 5w at some temperatures.

this thread is bunk because people even on bitog do not understand the SAE J300 standard!!

Hi,
crinkles - You said this:
"....because people even on bitog do not understand the SAE J300 standard!!"

Many people do not understand the SAE J300 Classifications

Some things (at least) about J300 should be noted;
1 - that lubricants without a "W" prefix are only classified at 100C
2 - Cranking and Pumping viscosities have unique numbers per classification - whilst they may be variable (by product*) the limits are very clear. *Some lubricants may perform better than others
3 - Viscosity calculators are "inaccurate" below about 40C and above about 100C if these numbers are used as calculus parameters. They are a guide and not absolute in real terms

IMO for engines, after the lower ambient requirement is met, the actual viscosity between 60C and 90C (a "rough" AW additive activation band) is quite important - especially in some modern engine families. The lowest viscosity within the engine Manufacturer's Approved or prescribed viscosity/ambient range is best - in a general sense

No doubt others on here will dispute this

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. I agree that the viscosity calculators do not account for anything under a certain "value".

My whole reasoning was based on DR. Hass's assumptions that there is no such thing as "too thin" on start up.

I will be the first to admit that I don't understand oil! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back