USS Sante Fe/ Pics at North pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sub my dad worked on for a couple years, the USS Sante Fe, SSN 763 of the Los Angeles Class or 688(I) class of Nuclear powered submarines.

l_50d589ef918e072b2918357bf2c3806a.jpg

m_5adb451ed5f157d0d790f892073b7fb9.jpg

USS_Santa_Fe_%28SSN-763%29.jpg

ssn-763b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On many Los Angeles class submarines, the conning tower (or sail) is reinforced. They basically stop under the ice, and do a low pressure blow of the ballast tanks and the bouyancy pushes the sub up through the ice.

COOL!!!Years ago when the sub base was at S.F bay I was stopped in traffic on the Golden Gate bridge and was looking at the bay and What I though I saw was an offshore racing boat at W.O.T heading toward the ocean . As it came closer I saw it was a sub heading out, one of the cooler things I have experienced.

Good stuff. Was your dad in the Navy? I see you live in Saratoga near Prototype. I have a but ton of submarine pictures from days in the Navy. Someday I will scan them into my computer.

Thanks for posting, and thank your dad for serving this great country! My son is in the Navy and loves it, you have a lot to be proud of.

No sail planes, eh? The first 688s with bow planes were being commissioned about the time I was getting out. I was on a Sturgeon(637)-class boat. Never went to the pole, but we did go ~30 miles under the ice once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back