Help Wanted signs - post your pics

You don’t get up 2 hours early to work at McDonald’s. You live 10 minutes away. You stop playing video games at 4:20 have a quick shower - or not - and head over.

Go drive around at 5:00 AM and you will know who goes to work then. All the forgotten people keeping this country running.
This why there are so many early morning accidents on the roads. People are half asleep going to a 5am job. Unless you're a doctor or nurse, why do some of these businesses have to open so early? Whatever happened to 9 to 5?

+2

Some of his posts remind me just how out-of-touch Washington DC folks are with the rest of the country.
Ati is not a blueblood. He's a working man. He stores tires in his bathtub.

This why there are so many early morning accidents on the roads. People are half asleep going to a 5am job. Unless you're a doctor or nurse, why do some of these businesses have to open so early? Whatever happened to 9 to 5?
We live in a 24 hour world and lots of folks work non-traditional hours to keep the wheels of our society turning.

For me it’s because trains run all hours and holidays. When it’s my turn and they’ve determined that next one shows up, my phone rings. It could be 10pm, 3am, noon, or any other time of the day that it’s destined to land. I see a decent amount of cars out at all times. I know I’m not the only one with an unusual schedule.

Except for bankers, does anyone actually work 9-5? And who wants to have to work until late afternoon, when there are wonderful things to do, once you get off work?

For most of my career, I chose to get up at 5:00 AM, so I could be to work no later than 6:30 AM. It's amazing what I could get done in the early hours, before the office got crowded with those that can't drag their but out of bed, and get to work until the morning is half over. By being to work early, I got off early. I could get to the hardware store and pick up supplies for projects. I could get in bike rides or walks. All kinds of things that I could enjoy during my extra hours of daylight that I got.

I can't fathom those that drag their @@$ out of bed at 8:00, barely making it to work at 9:00. But that's just me.

I had odd working hours all my working life. Many times I have had full meals at 2:00 AM and was appreciative and grateful that those people were working at that time of day to serve me. There’s a whole nother world out there between 8:00 pm and 8:00 am!
Who want's to get up at 3am to be at work at 5am to make $15 an hour? And why is McDonald's even open that early?
I’ve worked a !!!! of a lot harder than most McDonald’s employees for a !!!! of a lot less than $15 an hour to provide for my family !

Unless you're a doctor or nurse, why do some of these businesses have to open so early? Whatever happened to 9 to 5?
They may not open to the customers that early, but there is still work being done inside. That freshly baked bread and pastries don't just magically show up on the shelf at 9 am. They have to be baked many hours earlier. Grocery store shelves have to be restocked, and that typically happens at night when there are no/fewer customers inside. Postal workers do mail sorting hours before they start their delivery routes at 7:30. TV news crews, farm workers, and probably many many other jobs.

I frequent areas with a lot of manufacturing. 3rd shift / 1st shift typically flip between 5 and 8. The drive throughs are all packed at that time with people coming and going.

Medical, manufacturing, warehousing, shelf stockers and LEO all work at night. I think the non medical should just all just stay at home a couple nights in a row and watch the world screech to a halt so everyone knows what they do.

Medical, manufacturing, warehousing, shelf stockers and LEO all work at night. I think the non medical should just all just stay at home a couple nights in a row and watch the world screech to a halt so everyone knows what they do.
I was waiting for someone to point that out.

My retirement gig is a campus cop. The roads are positively jammed like clockwork by 0430 every morning from all of the staff who report to work for 0500 at the hospital. 365 days a year those people are out there reporting for work on time so the rest of us and our families can have a functional healthcare system.

For me it’s because trains run all hours and holidays. When it’s my turn and they’ve determined that next one shows up, my phone rings. It could be 10pm, 3am, noon, or any other time of the day that it’s destined to land. I see a decent amount of cars out at all times. I know I’m not the only one with an unusual schedule.

How many hours can you work per day as a train conductor ?

Is there a DOT regulation?

I frequent areas with a lot of manufacturing. 3rd shift / 1st shift typically flip between 5 and 8. The drive throughs are all packed at that time with people coming and going.

Yep, mysteriously the local Piggly Wiggly grocery store full stocked thanks to the truckers delivering food and merchandise to store.

Entire country immediately grinds to a halt if truckers shutdown for 48 hours….. welcome to real life Mad Max Thunderdome with no food or gas.

** Fun Fact **
I worked for Publix Supermarket and was unloading produce trucks at 4 AM, not fun unloading trucks during a Florida thunderstorm and no raincoat. 3 AM delivery when our store was going through a remodel.

14 pallets of produce quickly bought everyday during regular store hours 7 AM - 10 PM.

Last edited:
Back