So my neighbors want money for their weeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some end of summer clearing up behind my house. I have not had the time to do anything in the yard much this year with my wacky work schedule as well as my wife's. The grass got cut at a bare minimum.

So the PO of my house installed the chain link fence to close to the ground so you can't cut the grass under it without snapping weedeater line on the fence itself. I decided to fix it once at for all by spraying the area with weed/grass killer.

I also purchased brush/poison ivy killer for the back of the house that is entirely shaded by a huge tree. No grass grows but tons of unwanted stuff does. I sprayed inside my yard and my fence line. I made sure not to spray outside that for obvious reasons.

The neighbors in question are on a diagonal with only their left corner touching my right corner. Apparently their weed trees sucked up the weed killer along with spreading it into the grass. I have a fence their yard is not fenced. So the tree started to brown a bit but I doubt it would have died, it was over 30ft tall. It wasn't a pretty flowering tree it was a wild weed tree. The kind you don't want in a yard. Some grass arguably did but grass seed isn't a big deal. I cut these trees down myself once before because they were growing through my fence. Nobody seemed to care then but now it is a heinous crime that I committed. The wife claiming she liked them their for privacy so why not plant some shrubs or install a privacy fence. I can't control the plants roots. It seriously is the same stuff that grows on the side of highways, not some beautiful dogwood or maple tree.

Better yet plant a nice tree nope they rather it look like a forest like the house directly behind me who does 0 yardwork and has the 15 trees to prove it on barely a 1/4 acre.

I even offered to buy some grass seed to fix the small section of grass. Nope they said it would be fine and give them a reason to do just what I suggested. They just wanted to know I didn't intentionally do it. Dunno why anyone would...I don't even talk to them that much.

Now the wife talked to my wife while I was at work saying the damage was far greater than anything they expected....um I doubt that. I think my offer to help with the grass just turned into pay for our project for us which I'll be [censored] if I am doing.

Sometimes I really can't stand living this close to people.

I'd take pics but I don't need them seeing me doing that.

Last edited:
Was the product Round-Up (glyphosate) or another? RU can mist and be carried in the air and kill more
than you intended. It degrades quickly and I've never seen roots of trees 'suck it up'. Bummer situation
though. Buy em a nice 15 gallon tree you both will enjoy.

Last edited:
You killed the grass and weeds on your property.

I haven't seen any weed killer kill trees.

I think they are "barking up the wrong tree."

Don't let them discuss the topic anymore.

Sounds like they want some free landscaping.

If you've oversprayed your property, then maybe they've got cause.

If their tree's roots were under your property, tough.

glyphosate and copper nails will kill trees from the roots up.

Ya everything was bought at Lowes.

Ivy/Brush

Used on my back yard and one section of fence which had vines.

Just weeds

Used on the lesser things.

All diluted per instructions on the bottle.

Exactly...I seriously didn't intend on the killing the weed trees but honestly it is a weed LOL.

Last edited:
"I even offered to buy some grass seed to fix the small section of grass. Nope they said it would be fine and give them a reason to do just what I suggested."

You offered to help and they said no? I'd tell them to [censored] up a flagpole if they keep whining!

I mean, what more are you supposed to do???

Exactly!

I really felt bad so I offered to help fix it.

They said no, not to worry so I wrote it off as problem solved!

I have seen round up kill certain trees. We spray it under orange trees with no problem. (it does stress the tree a little bit, but the tree recovers quickly). However, about ten years ago, my Dad had a two acre property and we sprayed the fence line with round up using the tractor and a six foot boom sprayer. There was a huge live oak tree on the neighbors property that was almost on the line. Within weeks, half the tree died. The neighbors threatened to sue my Dad, but he told them that part of the tree belonged to him as it hung over the fence and the roots ran under the fence onto his property. That was the end of it.

Offering to buy a new tree would be a nice, neighborly thing to do, but I would be afraid that given their "oh, it looks so much worse" attitude, pretty soon you would be sodding their yard, cleaning their pool, washing their car and walking their dog. Give it time, "weed trees" are incredibly resilient and will come back - unless you hit it with another dose of round up
wink.gif

What was the health of the tree did you notice. The herbicide you applied are systemic but active ingredients are low.

Being a systemic how much volume of herbide did you apply. Did your intended target(weeds) die off.

Given it's residential herbicide the active ingredients rates are low....

I wouldn't sweat it highly doubtful the tree will die. Could be the health of the tree itself that may have been weak to begin with.

I had a kind of/sort of similar situation.

There is a corner of my property where three, including me, neighbors join. There is a relatively large, non-decorative bush along the fence of the side neighbor and was starting to reach into the back neighbors property. The back neighbor talked to us about it and she mentioned that she was going to pay to have it trimmed back, we felt bad for letting it go that far so we said ok. We'll assist. It really wasn't super overgrown, but whatever.

The following weekend, we went to a nephews baseball game and came back to a guy completely cutting up and removing the bush from mine and my side neighbors property. We asked the guy what was going on and he said that is what he was told to do.

So the back neighbor came over to talk about the money side of it. We got pretty aggravated with her and then she let it be. Haven't talked to her since, been about 3.5 years.

Fences make good neighbors.

My SOP when buying a parcel is to bang the corners with survey pins and fence it in.

This can cause all kinds of problems as peoples sheds, planted trees, lawns, and driveways can really encroach. They have the explorer mentality IE if I plant my shed the land belongs to me! Well not so fast.

Tell them to pound sand.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The basic Roundup or its clones is a salt and gets absorbed via the leaves, not via roots. Although other vegetation killer may get into the soil.

Yes it's a systemic that is absorbed through the leaf. But also by drilling holes in the tree trunk and applying straight 40's% glysophate. It takes some to knock out a 30 foot tree certain large species tree glysophate may not knock it out.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_68161-446-5002310_4294728546__?productId=3037674&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo= the active ingredients are very low concentrate. In some cases an unhealthy tree maybe be effected by herbicidal applications. If the OP applied it by given label rate it would have been much to weak for a healthy 30 foot tree to brown out.

Well its not up to you to decide if their trees are 'weed trees' and worthy of having in their yard, but i just can't fathom how spraying along you fenceline could kill the trees.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Was the product Round-Up (glyphosate) or another? RU can mist and be carried in the air and kill more
than you intended. It degrades quickly and I've never seen roots of trees 'suck it up'.

Agreed. I've only seen that happen with 2,4-D but that won't bug the grass.

This discussion makes me glad that I have an old house that is completely surrounded by town owned land. This time of year,I cant see my nearest neighbor, because the weed trees block them out. In MA,you need a permit to put up a perimeter fence. General rule is that it be set back a foot from the boundary. My brother worked for a surveyor. He said that fences generated half the work. I burn weed trees for heat and cut them down as they creep in from the woods. To me the only real weed trees are red sumacs. When you pull them up, you are just encouraging new growth. They are fast growing shallow rooted weeds. Just like briers.bittersweet, and poison ivy. Except they grow anywhere and get forty feet tall. In a month or so, they will earn their keep when they turn into a red, orange, and ,yellow blaze of color.
I have a shallow well, so I dont use poisons willy nilly.

The weed trees or tree there are about 3-4 clustered together are red sumac actually. I looked it up

My theory regarding their grass was that it really wasn't grass more like low lying weeds resembling grass. That must be the reason it did so well.

It only worked where I sprayed it in my yard so I really have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back