Help Wanted signs - post your pics

How many hours can you work per day as a train conductor ?

Is there a DOT regulation?
12 hours a day in service no more than 7 straight days, but I end up at work for well more than 12 hours lately, I just can't actually move a train after 12 hours. I had a 13 hour day yesterday that got me home at 6am this morning and 16 hours a day last week just waiting on a ride back.

12 hours a day in service no more than 7 straight days, but I end up at work for well more than 12 hours lately, I just can't actually move a train after 12 hours. I had a 13 hour day yesterday that got me home at 6am this morning and 16 hours a day last week just waiting on a ride back.

Sounds like a tough job with the constantly changing work hours / schedule.

Trains and trucks keep America rolling and few consumers even think about it as they go about their day.

Sounds like a tough job with the constantly changing work hours / schedule.

Trains and trucks keep America rolling and few consumers even think about it as they go about their day.
Yeah, it's hard to explain to people what the job actually entails. The problem really came in when the strikes were threatened and people heard what we make. Many just hear the pay and think we're overpaid, not realizing any sort of life you'd picture having a set schedule is out the window. Tomorrow and the next day are my scheduled days off, but they can call me again until 9:59pm to start no later than 11:59pm and that call could be to take a train to another state. Then my days off wouldn't start until I had enough rest in the hotel after I get there and they had a train for me to bring back and I get there to finish my week. So right now my day off starts in 5 hours and 20 minutes or as much as 3 days from now. Kind of hard to set an appointment for anything. 😂

This company is hiring but 'Persue your dreams doesn't mean go back to sleep'.

1694649511822.jpg

US Army Recruiting

Sorry, don’t have a picture, but have seen a couple tongue-in-cheek (or probably serious) signs that say “Help Wanted- Must show up”. I’ve heard that many businesses will interview and hire, but then the new employee never shows up on the first day.

Sorry, don’t have a picture, but have seen a couple tongue-in-cheek (or probably serious) signs that say “Help Wanted- Must show up”. I’ve heard that many businesses will interview and hire, but then the new employee never shows up on the first day.
Got to keep those unemployment checks coming in. I can relate to the odd hours in the transportation sector. Drove a class 8 truck for 40 years. Retired now living the dream.

Got to keep those unemployment checks coming in. I can relate to the odd hours in the transportation sector. Drove a class 8 truck for 40 years. Retired now living the dream.
How much do you think those unemployment checks are? I just looked up the average number and the payout per week is an average of $376. I definitely couldn't pay my bills on what equates to $1,630 a month.

When I was furloughed in 2019 my unemployment rate through the railroad board was only $730 per 2 weeks. I know it's more now due to inflation, but I'm sure that's in line with unemployment at the time.

How much do you think those unemployment checks are? I just looked up the average number and the payout per week is an average of $376. I definitely couldn't pay my bills on what equates to $1,630 a month.

When I was furloughed in 2019 my unemployment rate through the railroad board was only $730 per 2 weeks. I know it's more now due to inflation, but I'm sure that's in line with unemployment at the time.
I have to do it on Social Security and I’m not eligible for Snap, medicaid or any other “entitlements”.

It depends a lot on the state - is my understanding. In some states you get unemployment then a food subsidy, a rent subsidy, etc. Obviously not enough to keep a professional at home but might keep someone from working at McDonalds.

It depends a lot on the state - is my understanding. In some states you get unemployment then a food subsidy, a rent subsidy, etc. Obviously not enough to keep a professional at home but might keep someone from working at McDonalds.
Possibly. The numbers I used were nationwide averages knowing that different areas have different payouts. Considering more expensive areas would likely skew it higher I still thought the number wasn't enough for my area, especially considering almost everyone pays $15 an hour here, including McDonalds.

Possibly. The numbers I used were nationwide averages knowing that different areas have different payouts. Considering more expensive areas would likely skew it higher I still thought the number wasn't enough for my area, especially considering almost everyone pays $15 an hour here, including McDonalds.
Yes, the idea is you don't starve while your looking for a job.

These days looking for a job should take about 1 day. Maybe less.

Walmart in my area is begging for people. Up to $25 per hour, college tuition and books paid, health insurance etc. and people seem to dodge them like the plague. I’ve worked some crappy jobs before but never had any problems finding work. I would take what I could get and keep looking for what I wanted. All in the past now.

Back