Walmart's Recycled Oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I got an email back from the marketing director for the midsouth and northeast for America's Choice. Seems America's Choice is only avilable retail in CANADA! It IS available in the US thru a distributor, though. Any idea how to get ahold of some?

I guess America's Choice is to give old oil to Canada.....?

quote:

I think you guys are being a little toooo worried about fram.

-

I have a FRAM Extra Guard 3614 on the Saturn right now, and it has 4700 miles/7 mo on it. It probably won't be changed for at least 6000 miles. Most trips are less than 2 miles. Oil is a 3:1 Mix of Chevron Supreme GF-4 5w-30 and Havoline 5w-30 GF-3. Two quarts Havoline 5w-30 GF-3 make-up.

walmart's frams as they stick on cars for the cheap changes come from jobber 12 packs and aren't labelled for individual sale.

Ask for supertech.

A couple of posters have correctly identified WM Super Tech as being made by WPP. It is SM/GF4 rated, just like the name brands. The T&LE uses it straight from the bottle when doing their $13.88 basic oil change. They are putting on Fram Filters. I've used ST in my GM cars (3.8L) for years, and have been totally satisfied. If you don't like the Fram filter, bring in your own and they will use it and credit you $1.88 for the part. Since BITOG, I bring in Purolater's.

The lube jockey working there is no rocket scientist or motor oil expert. I would not put a great deal of stock in what he has to say about recycled oil.

Most collected waste oil is burned as fuel oil. I see much less re-refined product today (very rare) than 30 years ago. McMillan oil company here in Long Beach was an API-certified re-refiner. The cheap store-brand non-detergents were also re-refined, often sold in gallon cans.

I lost the link, but there was an extensive paper written in England a few years ago explaining why today re-refining is almost more trouble than it is worth. Environmental rules about disposal of the filtered-out byproducts is a factor.

LOL, the marketing guy for America's choice hasn't replied to my emails since I told him I was interested in bulk oil for individual use and that I knew other people on a website I frequent who may be as well!

evergreen sells base stock only to blenders. Some majors offer re refined 76 had a firebird? brand at one time In long beach area I think Rosemead was using it.
bruce

Let me explain my last post in case it came off as harsher than I intended and I don't mean to hurt anyones' tender feelings. For anyone who has READ this thread, it was established that SafetyKleen rerefines oil (along w/ Evergreen) and that it is widely used by state, federal, and local governments for use in their fleets.

Just ecouraging everyone in general to remember its a good thing to digest the whole thread before commenting. As I moderate an automotive board myself, I can tell you it can be annoying when people just seem to read the title of the thread, a post or two, and then make their comments. Half the time, it's already been covered. That's all.

So what's the deal with Fram?

Is it worse to use a Fram filter or not change the filter at all. At a 3000 mile oil change interval I doubt if it makes a difference between a $2 Fram or an $5 name your brand filter.

Supertech oil, Fram filter.
Cheap oil change is better than no oil change!

I'd rather have a car that had the cheap oil and filter changed every 3-5k miles, than a car that was used as an experimental test bed for some fancy/smancy-artsy/fartsy oil with extended oil change intervals.

Rerefined oil, you gotta trust the refiner and the blinder just like any other oil.

Guess you'd have to look in the filter posts to see what the beef is. I've taken many types of filter apart and I can't say Fram is more poorly constructed than anything else. As for the oil, I tend to agree.

But of course, you live in Gonzales. All you have to do is drive over to the river and skim some oil off the top and throw it in the crankcase. LOL! J/k, I know it's not that bad.

bkrell

I wouldn't talk about oil slicks if I was you. Years ago I used to fish Cross Lake, at that time it was always an oil film on the water of that lake.

My point concerning Fram filters is: If your choice would be a fram filter or leaving the old filter on, which would it be/ Me, I'd opt for the new clean Fram verses the one that you know has dirty oil in it.

'Twas just a joke from one Louisianian to another. I was thinking of all the plants on the water at Geismar. I used to work at Gillis Long at Carville.

Yummy, Cross Lake...that's where we get our water.

And I completely agree on Fram.

Re-refined oil is not economic. I doubt the Wally World Tech was correct. It is a "feel good" enviro thing...we stock it for municipalities...nobody else wants it.

Engineering wise it can be made OK. But heckuva process to get there. Taxpayer subsidized like most feel-good initiatives trying to swim against the market & consumer. There are better alternatives to avoid dumping disposal in the advanced economies of the world.

Most recycle places without access to the one or 2 rerefineries supply chain just market used oil as a mix into heavy fuel oils (for boilers). The ash does not affect things too adversely in some uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back