Walmart's Recycled Oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
eljefino - nah, they wanted $19 something for the inspection thing, topping off fluids etc... $17 was supposedly for new oil, thats it... i too wonder if re-refined oil is any good to use, atleast for 3k OCI

I cringe if I have to use a cheap SL or SM rated oil for an oil change, but that's just the oil obsession I've got goin' on. Really, SM or even SL rated oil regardless of price would certainly be fine for a 3000 mile OCI, and probably hold up well for a 5000 mile OCI. Could they go further? Some of them (the cheap SM and SL rsated oils) probably could, but extending an OCI using cheap oil should only be done with a UOA, and IMO, a UOA would kinda defeat the purpose of running cheap oil in the first place.

ooops looks like prices are going up.

my point is the same, they are trying to upsell you with vague veiled threats regarding the bottom priced option. It's like the shoe store guy telling you cheap shoes will make your stature crooked or the GNC guy saying generic vitamins are full of mercury or whatever.

a walmart TLE guy is not always your most reliable source of lubrication info.

Probably depends on which oil change service you buy. The Walmart here in town sells nothing but Fram filters on the shelves, but they have stacks of AcDelco oil filters in behind the oil display. I assume they're for the oil changes they do in their service bay.

quote:

Forget the oil for a minute...

What about the FILTER they're using?

Any recommendations for a n00b?

I'm using what my VW dealer is putting in. He is using Mobil1 0w40 (VW 502 00) as he should, so I suspect he is using an OEM filter. Any idea who makes it?

quote:

I don't see how crude could be any cleaner than used, pre-hydrocracked engine oil?

Yeah, I don't get why people freak out either unless it's just the perception of "filtered" oil. The oils that come out of your crankcase at an oil change is already much more refined than crude oil......

Maybe people think crude oil is a pure elixer that flows as clean as the driven snow directly into their crank case......

quote:

Originally posted by akuska:
I'm using what my VW dealer is putting in. He is using Mobil1 0w40 (VW 502 00) as he should, so I suspect he is using an OEM filter. Any idea who makes it?

Champ I believe.

Safet-Kleen picks up used oil from all the AutoZones in Michigan. You see their truck at the back door every couple of weeks pumping out the tank.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by akuska:

Champ I believe.

I think AndyH is correct. Bosch is usually the OEM filter for VW/Audi/Porsche. In North America currently Champion makes Bosch branded filters.

the one here says fram.... what can u expect at $13 and change though....looked at their supertech filters, they look pretty solid from what i can see and cheaper than fram....why they don't use those i have no idea.

Is there any place that offers the rerefined oil for sale to the public? As for the industry, you'd think there'd be enough used oil recycled to make a lot of this stuff...

quote:

Is there any place that offers the rerefined oil for sale to the public? As for the industry, you'd think there'd be enough used oil recycled to make a lot of this stuff...

Certainly WalMart sells re-refined oil. Earlier in this thread is a link to the Evergreen site. Evergreen *appears* to be brand name for Safety Kleen re-refined/blended motor oil. If you do enough digging around on the net you'll find info about other brand names that are either re-refined oil, or that use re-refined oil in their blends. Some of the big well known oil companies supposedly buy some of the re-refined base stock product. Mercedes claims that it uses re-refined oil as a factory fill in some of their vehicles.

As for the 2nd part of your statement : while there is a lot of used/recycled motor oil available for re-refining, most of it doesn't end up there. The majority of it apparently ends being burned as a waste fuel in a variety of applications. I don't know if this is because the supply volume of used oil exceeds the current capacity of re-refiners, or if it is due to economic competition from the waste fuel market (ie. the waste fuel market pays more for the used oil than the re-refiners do).

Phil

"Ask for supertech. " can u do that? all i need is to tell the tech to use a supertech instead and pop the hood and see a bright orange fram, lose my f'in mind and get arrested....cause u know they wont change it again free just to replace the filter...

Actually, as noted in Boomer58's link, America's Choice is Safety Kleen's oil. I didn't see what the Evergreen stuff was sold as.

I did a bunch of digging around on the net once trying to find uses for waste oil at home and all I found was a waste oil burning stove from Mother Earth News. I'd always wondered what actually happened to the oil at Autozone and I'm glad to see it rerefined.

As for the "filtering" it myth, how is that any different than using a bypass filter? Wouldn't it at least give you a good oil capable of running 3k OCI's itself?

LOL, maybe I'll setup my own filtering operation w/ my oil and lots of tp! LOL j/k

Yeah, I notcied that about the WalMart here. A real Fram-Land. I think maybe they had, I dunno, four or five K&Ns, no Purolaters or AC's. All Frams. I guess the ST's were reserved for in-house changes, they weren't out here either.

i went and had them change it for $13.88, said "supertech lube, oil & filter" but they put a fram on... whooda guessed it? fram costs more than the supertech, maybe they thought they were giving me a deal....lmao... sure the **** wont let it go 3,000 miles

I think you guys are being a little toooo worried about fram. I've used plenty of fram filters and never had any sort of wear related engine issue. I'm not saying I LIKE them but since my Wal-mart just now began stocking Supertech filters, fram WAS the cheapest. Now, if I could help it, I bought Purolator PureOnes but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back