tuff torque transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought my mower I figured this was the weak link. Its a K57 trans and they are expensive to replace. I have been ten years now with no trouble but everyday I sweat bullets probably for no reason waiting for it to give up the ghost.

Who knows about these things and how do they hold up? Im mowing up some fairly big hills so Im taxing it Im sure. I dont abuse it but I do use it and I change oil ever 250 hrs like the books says with mobile synthetic.

That's a great unit that's used on high end JDs, Simplity and others. I'm not sure how many hours they are rated for. Of course that would vary by where/how it's used and stored. I would think a 1000hrs or better would be easily achievable on one. Look at it this way, JD wouldn't have used TT for the last ~20yrs if they were junk. http://www.tufftorq.com/level4.asp?ID=2

Joel

Hi Joel, your correct. Its on a Simplicity Broadmoore from 1999. The unit has about 550 hours on it now and show no signs of wear but this is one of those things over my head. I did not know Deere used this transmission. I guess that says something since both companies have confidence in it to some degree.

Im not sure of the hour rating either. It may be like engines. Some will just flat out last forever and some give up early. The price tag of replacing this unit is what scares me so much.

Have you considered running some Auto-Rx in that thing for a season then changing out the fluid? Auto-Rx has done small wounders for some guys on here that operate fleets of fork lifts that had transmission problems traditionaly. From what I understand it all but ended their freq. transmission failures. It was one of the guys from down under.....Maybe ask Sprintman if it was him????

The Broadmoore is a great machine. I'm not sure when Simplicity started with TT as their transaxle vendor, but I'd bet it was early 1990's like JD. For JD it was around 1991. Simplicity used Sauer-Sundstrand (then called SS/Danfoss) transaxles back in the day, but over time that company got out of the garden tractor transaxle business for what ever reason. You hear of very few problems with TT units. I'd recommend them over Hydrogear. You're on the right track with swapping out the oil in your K57. Even when they start to get old and worn and you loose ground speed, going with 20w50 can buy you several more years.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back