Transmission Fluid Conditioner - Does it work?

When I buy ATF on RA they always recommend Transmission Fluid Conditioner. It is obviously an attempt to upsell, but my transmission does occasionally jerks or have trouble switching power from hybrid motor to engine (Something is doing bite-release-bite-release rapidly and I got no power). Would fluid conditioner help easing these issues? Is it safe to use in hybrid? My torque convertor is replaced by an electric motor and ATF taking both job of hydraulic fluid for trans and coolant for motor.
1711847586142.jpg

Thanks!

When I buy ATF on RA they always recommend Transmission Fluid Conditioner. It is obviously an attempt to upsell, but my transmission does occasionally jerks or have trouble switching power from hybrid motor to engine (Something is doing bite-release-bite-release rapidly and I got no power). Would fluid conditioner help easing these issues? Is it safe to use in hybrid? My torque convertor is replaced by an electric motor and ATF taking both job of hydraulic fluid for trans and coolant for motor.
View attachment 211307
Thanks!
What is the conditioner supposed to do that ATF doesn't?

Sounds like a programming problem or if there is a magnetic clutch then that could be the problem.

How many miles and has the fluid ever been changed? What Vehicle?

Last edited:
What is the conditioner supposed to do that ATF doesn't?

Sounds like a programming problem or if there is a magnetic clutch then that could be the problem.

How many miles and has the fluid ever been changed? What Vehicle?
I still have the original transmission so it has 142k miles now.
It's a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with A6MF2H 6-speed AT.
Hyundai's manual said fluid change every 60k miles in severe use case, so I did first change around 54k miles, and I didn't touch it till 100k. At that time I already encountered hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd and jerking in cold weather, so I drain&fill it with OEM fluid. Fluid analyze report found excess metal, silicon, and insoluble. New fluid reduced these symptoms a lot, but it still happens from time to time. After that I did drain&fill at 110k and 130k, attempt shortening change interval to flush more old fluid out and further improve the shifting. More frequent fluid change does work but also bring me the clutch bite-release issue. Always happen when accelerating from dead stop and turning into road.
I hope the conditioner could be a cheap solution to mitigate the clutch issue.

I am usually not a fan of oil additives but I also realize there is a time and a place to give them a try. In your case I don't think the additive is going to help but again it probably won't hurt to try and it's a cheap risk to take. The only trans additive I use on a regular bases is the shudder gard because it flat out works on GM transmission shudders.

Back