5W20 in a Hyundai Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I just purchased a new 2005 Hyundai Elantra. The owners manual preferred oil is a 5W20. The dealership uses Petro-Canada 5W30. Should I use the 5W20 or will the 5W30 be fine. Also what brand is recommended? My choices are Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, Quakerstate. I will not be putting in synthetic oil because to have my warranty honored, I must have my oil changed every 6000km. I won't spend the extra money on synthetic for this frequent of oil changes. What do you guys thin?

quote:

Originally posted by Slippy345:
Hi. I just purchased a new 2005 Hyundai Elantra. The owners manual preferred oil is a 5W20.

frown.gif
Say it isn't so
spaz.gif
Petro Canada 5w-30 will be perfectly fine; it'll turn to 20 weight quickly as all dino 5w-30s tend to.

I though Hyundai was one of the last stallworts to give the nice ambient temp charte with various different grades, from 5w-30 on up to 20w-50?

Why use a weak 30wt that shears into a 20wt when you can have a 20wt that stays a 20wt?

Use the 5w20.

with 10/30 Castrol from dealer i think our 2003 Elantra is a little too noisy. If you change oil yourself, I'll go to a thicker oil, this engine can certainly take it, judging by the rec's in the manual. If we didn't have to go to the dealer, I'd have used 10/40 in ours.

quote:

Originally posted by Slippy345:
Hi. I just purchased a new 2005 Hyundai Elantra. The owners manual preferred oil is a 5W20. The dealership uses Petro-Canada 5W30. Should I use the 5W20 or will the 5W30 be fine. Also what brand is recommended? My choices are Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, Quakerstate. I will not be putting in synthetic oil because to have my warranty honored, I must have my oil changed every 6000km. I won't spend the extra money on synthetic for this frequent of oil changes. What do you guys thin?

I too have a brand new 2005 Elantra. My oil change interval is 7500 miles or 6 months. I think 7500 is a bit of a stretch for some dino oils, but in my case I'll never get close to that in 6 months. I plan to use 10w30 or 10w40, as I live in Georgia.

I assume your 6000km interval is a severe duty one, correct?

P.S. How do you like the Elantra? I've had mine since May, and can't find anything to complain about yet.

Speaking of Hyundai, I looked at the new 2006 Sonata at my dealer. Sho'nuff, the oil filler cap specifies 5W-20 SL for the 3.3L V6. The service department manager told me new owners are gonna be gasping for air when they see these engines require over a gallon and a half at oil change time. (Who does Hyundai think they are - Mercedes-Benz or BMW? Or could this be Hyundai's silent acknowledgement that these new engines with real, he-man, timing chains instead of a cogged belt are hard on motor oil?)

The 2.0 Beta has been arond a while and 2005 is the first year they have recomended the 5w-20. My 2004 Elantra has 10w-30 and 40 as the prefered oil, 5w-30 and 40 if temps below 0 F.
My 2005 Tucson with the same 2.0 motor lists 5w-20 or 30 for recomended oil and 10w-30 for temps over 0 F.
I had heard there was a memo sent to dealers to use thicker oils if there is valvetrain noise ( aside from the TSB about using only OEM filters).
I have used 10w-30 and 0w-30 in my Elantra with no problems. My Tucson has Mobil Drive Clean 10w-40 from the dealer right now and it seems fine also. 5w-30 should work just fine for you.
Also, 6000km is the severe duty OCI. If you do not meet those conditions (spelled out very well in the owners manual) I would (and I actualy do) go with the 12000km/6month OCI. These engines are not hard on oil at all.

I love my Elantra. (I have only owned it for two weeks though). I asked about the oil change schedule at my dealership and they insisted I change my oil at 6000km or my warranty would be void. If I could change it every 12000km I would use synthetic. Should I just let the dealer change my oil with Petro-Canada 5W30 or should I use Pennzoil 5W20, 5W30, or 10W30. I have the attitiude that thicker is better and would like to use 10W30 but maybe I should not. If I do my own changes I think I will use Pennzoil because of the good deals at Walmart on this stuff. Everybody seems to feel Penzoil makes a good product. What would you fellows do if you were in my shoes?

Depends on whether you're intent is to keep it for the long haul - to the day it's wheels fall off, or if you're only keeping it for 5-7yrs.

I too am not fond of 5w-30 dino oils, and would choose to only run them in the cold winter months in your situation. As they tend to shear quickly, my guess is leaving behind a lot of gunk in the motor.

This gunk/sludge may not cause you problems within 5-7yrs, but if you end up keeping it for the long haul, you may or may not end up with problems.

A 10w-30 dino is less likely to shear, but does it's share as well. I'm learning the effects of that now in a vehicle ran with 10w-30 Havoline dino from 11K miles on, with every 3K OCI's.

At 143K I'm experiencing noisey hydraulic lifters - but it's important for you to know that this particular engine is known for getting clogged lifters.

We've ran Havoline dino 10w-30/10w-40 in all of our family vehicles for years with never any issues and most of them well over 150K without a blink of an eye.

If I wasn't interested in keeping this lightly ticking beast I wouldn't worry about it, but it's working on a diet of synthetic to assist in cleaning the lifters.

Aside from that, it's running GREAT - so I can't necessarily say that dino's are bad, cause they put out fantastic wear numbers.

But each engine could have it's own difference of opinion - and it's impossible for us to know what your engine's preference would be.

FWIW - If I could start over again, knowing what I know now about this one picky engine, I would've ran 5w-40 Chevron Delo synthetic or 5w-40 Rotella synthetic from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back