OCI for 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T AWD - Severe or Normal

The only aspect of "severe" in my driving is 1-2 short trips per day (less than five miles). The criterion listed in Hyundai's maintenance schedule says "frequent short trips". How does one classify "frequent" in the number of trips? Is that more than one? 3-5?

Severe OCI is 3,000 miles or 3 months vs Normal being 5,000 miles or 6 months. I always use fully synthetic oil 5W30. I've been doing Normal but should I change to Severe?

3000/3 months is immense overkill in today's world unless you're doing nothing but 1-2 mile trips in sub zero temperatures.
That was my thought but I know these TGDI Theta II engines are temperamental and my car is getting close to 115K miles.

We owned a 2012, bought in 2011 and got 240K plus miles from it. It ran like a top up to the day it was traded-in, in 2022.
The oil intervals never went over 3K miles or 5 months. The predominant oil used was Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 with aftermarket oil filters. We even ran conventional twice. It's the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned.

Last edited:
Kia claims just about anything other than highway miles to be severe duty which then requires oil changes of 3750 miles.
Translation: just firing your H/K car off constitutes severe duty. 3750 miles with H/K filter.

@porkchopXpress what does your typical commute look like all-in-all?

Do you have a 15 minute one-way trip on the highway to work, then you go to the grocery store or pick up kids from school in the evening?

Do you use your car as a delivery/rideshare car? We need the full story.

@porkchopXpress what does your typical commute look like all-in-all?

Do you have a 15 minute one-way trip on the highway to work, then you go to the grocery store or pick up kids from school in the evening?

Do you use your car as a delivery/rideshare car? We need the full story.
Great question. Most trips are 5 miles or less. My wife and kids use the car to commute to and from school, the gym...all less than 5 miles. I would say we average 2-3 daily round trips to and from the house in this manner.

Not sure if this matters but the car is garaged except when in use. We live in the South.

GM published a study on oil life that they used as a basis for their oil life monitors. The oil life based on trip length was around 2,800 miles with only 2.8 mile trips, 6,000 miles with only 12 mile trips, and 10,000 miles with only 70 mile trips. Oil temperature at start of each trip was only 10 degrees C, and the oil used was the lowest quality API SJ oil that they could find in 1987.

With your warmer climate, multiple trips per day keeping the engine warmer, modern oil, and some occasional longer trips mixed in, I wouldn't hesitate to do a 5,000 mile OCI.

GM published a study on oil life that they used as a basis for their oil life monitors. The oil life based on trip length was around 2,800 miles with only 2.8 mile trips, 6,000 miles with only 12 mile trips, and 10,000 miles with only 70 mile trips. Oil temperature at start of each trip was only 10 degrees C, and the oil used was the lowest quality API SJ oil that they could find in 1987.

With your warmer climate, multiple trips per day keeping the engine warmer, modern oil, and some occasional longer trips mixed in, I wouldn't hesitate to do a 5-6,000 mile OCI.
Thanks! Given we only put ~500 miles on the car each month, I think I'll just stick with 5-6 month intervals which translates to about 3,000 miles.

I'd switch to a 0/5w-40 that's SP rated. QS euro is a good choice. I'd change that yearly or every 8k.

I’d settle on a happy medium of 4,000 miles - keep in mind you live in a warm climate - those short trips might not be a problem if that oil never really gets “cold”. It’s not like you’re living in Canada driving five miles to work in 10 degree weather.

Back