Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm...the one on the right appears to be a Champ Ecore. What about the one on the left? I thought that was the "new style"! I thought I seen Ecore Delcos awile back.
21.gif

I take it the grooves in the element are from a cutting wheel during your disection?
shocked2.gif
... or is it a new PSID reducing scheme?
LOL.gif

Seems like more and more manufactures are going with carboard end caps.
frown.gif

pf473.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
I take it the grooves in the element are from a cutting wheel during your disection?
shocked2.gif
... or is it a new PSID reducing scheme?
LOL.gif

Yeah lol, they are from the cutting wheel.

"Additional features include a slightly smaller can, fully covered baseplate, non-metallic end caps and high strength nylon core."

Can you say: "Ecore"?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
AC Delcos are now Champ Labs, and are pretty much the same filter as the Super Tech. Some believe that the AC's get better media, but this has not been confirmed.

At one time, the PF 1177 had half again more media than the ST 3950. You don't see either one on the shelf anymore. Who only knows who is making the AC this week.

I picked up a couple of Pronto filters the other day:

PF 1177 type, PO 4619, $2.69
PF 457 type, PO 5436, $4.12

The PO 4619 says right on it mfg by Hastings. Looks like a good filter except for the button type dome end bypass. Cheaper than a L 10193 and looks like it has more media too. Made in America by an American company.

The PO 5436 actually came in a Dynolube box. No indication who made it, and unfortunately, made in China. It does have GG5436 stamped on the end cap. The O-ring looks suspiciously small like the ST. Other than that, it looks OK.

Both filters were a good price, and the PO 4619 looks better than the $3.50 competition. If I don't find better, I may stick with them.

So Denso makes their own?, and are OE Toyota?
Wonder how they compare to Wix.
Most Japanese stuff is good or at least has good QC for whatever the quality level is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Petrou
uh baldwin makes both fram and wix, which are the same as napa gold. now they build the filters to the designer spec. baldwin filters are basically a generic wix and napa gold filter. fram filters are a marked up super tech filter. super tech is a generic fram.

What the heck were you smoking when you said that?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: Petrou
uh baldwin makes both fram and wix, which are the same as napa gold. now they build the filters to the designer spec. baldwin filters are basically a generic wix and napa gold filter. fram filters are a marked up super tech filter. super tech is a generic fram.

What the heck were you smoking when you said that?
Whatever it was, I want some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back