Best beater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who use that "extra" car, what would be your choice?

For a good beater, I find a early 90s Honda (civic or accord), or a late 90s cavalier seem to work very well...

and you?

72 Nova.
banana2.gif

Sorry. You must mean in this Century.

Well, that's pretty much what my '99 Cherokee is, although it turned out way too nice to be called a "beater."

But if I didn't already have the Jeep, I'd pick a late-60s Valiant with a slant-6 and 3-on-the-tree. Similar longevity factors, that is to say "forever."

Last edited:
In Michigan land of salt I'd get a saturn s-car.

Cavaliers tend to do okay where it counts (rockers, structural metal)

If you want to go back to the early 90s a century or ciera with the 3300 would do well for a few hundred $$$.

If you can do your own work let others' problems work for you; buy something that needs a radiator or alternator or something minor to get running again. Look for dust, pine sap etc building up on unused cars as an indicator of previous owner impatience.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How much are you looking to spend ???

Theres tons of beaters on Craigslist.

Nope, I'm asking everybody what their favorite beater is.

My Cobalt is pretty much my beater, though it is a very well cared for beater...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Fester
For me the ideal beater is an old Ford Ranger 4 banger.

Those do make very good beaters.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Fester
For me the ideal beater is an old Ford Ranger 4 banger.

X2, though I would include Rangers in general.

I take good care of my trucks as far as maintenance, but they have to earn it...
mud.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

The Lada is doing very well for me....or whoever is borrowing it at the time.(one of my daughters has been using it for the last few weeks as I fix her Baleno) It always starts,it never runs out of oil or water even though they are never checked.No one ever steals it,even if it sits outside for a couple of weeks with a flat tyre.Other drivers stay well away - they are sure it isn't insured (it isn't) and don't want to tangle with something that will do too much damage and still be able to drive away.

I love it - but no one else does.

And that suits me just fine!

My Cavalier is almost getting into beater territory....still runs like a top, tho!

That would be my vote - any old Cavalier/Sunfire - there are just so many of them around, and they are sooo cheap!

They ARE the NOVA/VALIANT/MAVERICK of the 2000's....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
My Cavalier is almost getting into beater territory....still runs like a top, tho!

That would be my vote - any old Cavalier/Sunfire - there are just so many of them around, and they are sooo cheap!

SUre, if you don't mind paying the insurance of a V8 Mustang on a four-banger...

I a tiny bit biased towards a Honda Civic
How about a stripped 1994 to 2000 Civic DX (5 speed) with only A/C. 40+ miles per gallon , easy to maintain and parts are dirt cheap.

Or you can look for a Chevy Prizm or Corolla.

My first beater is still my fave: 86 Chev Nova with 5 speed stick

that thing ate so much oil that I started to run gear oil in it (75w90). It never failed to start, but the oil press. sensor cracked b/c of too much pressure, so I watered it down with some 15w40.

The only time it faile don me was when the batter died. I'm pretty sure it was almost original.

Drove that for 2 years, then donated it to a local charity when I was done with it. Best $900 I ever spent.

Currently I have a 95 Pontiac Grand am with the Quad 4 DOHC motor, with a 5 speed stick!! AND THE TRANS HAS A DIPSTICK!>!>!> I've never seen a manual tranny with a dipstick b4!!! Even those on the Grand Am forums are a little baffled by this.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

+1 to that. You can't beat the 4T45E AT, Old 2.2 or Ecotec 2.2 powertrain. Decent power, great MPG and great in the snow. The 4dr is not expensive to insure, but the 2dr will be. Any insurance will be expensive if you are in your early 20's and single.
A 2wd Ford Ranger in a Michigan winter?!? You'd have to weight it down so much it will barely move. My dad had a 1998 totally basic Ranger 4cyl, 5spd, shorty. New tires and weighted down it was still scary in the snow.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I a tiny bit biased towards a Honda Civic
How about a stripped 1994 to 2000 Civic DX (5 speed) with only A/C. 40+ miles per gallon , easy to maintain and parts are dirt cheap.

Or you can look for a Chevy Prizm or Corolla.

^+1.

Depends. IMO the best beater would be the ones that no body wants in your neck of the wood. It is a lot cheaper to buy for the same quality or a lot better quality for the same price.

Originally Posted By: JTK

A 2wd Ford Ranger in a Michigan winter?!? You'd have to weight it down so much it will barely move. My dad had a 1998 totally basic Ranger 4cyl, 5spd, shorty. New tires and weighted down it was still scary in the snow.

It doesn't have to be 2WD. Ford made 2.3 I4 4x4 Rangers until 1996 and 3.0 V6 4x4 Rangers until 2008. Either one would make a great beater and be okay in the snow. Nearly all of the 2.3 4x4s had manual transmissions and transfer cases too, and most had manual hubs...they will pretty much last forever with basic maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back