Greatest/worst 3.5/3.6 24-valve V6 of the late 2000s?

I think the GM 3.6 is the worst of the time period, at least that's what Car Wizard says, supposedly the timing chains are a time bomb.
Wretched Saab and Opel influence in that engine. It has roots to the Opel 3.2L used in the Catera and CTS and the Saab 2.8L.

But, Holden was a big fan of it, it was called the Alloytec in Oz.

In my small sample of a few hundred 2016 and 2018 Ram Promaster 2500s with the 3.6, I can’t say I’d want one. There isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not replacing an oil cooler, radiator, fan, coolant bottle, motor mounts, water pump, thermostat and/or housing and crossover, etc etc. Our higher mileage ones are usually in better shape, but I’m doing all this work on them anywhere from 10k-30k miles. I think the highest mileage 3.6s we have may be in the 60k range.

Many of the oil cooler jobs come in with faults for low oil pressure, variable cam timing disabled, etc. I typically ignore them and simply fix the leak (they’re fleet vehicles and drivers don’t complain about anything as long as it goes and stops and turns). We’ll see how many come back with the faults present again after leaks are fixed and actually need oil pumps. I feel like a few may.

They go through cams / lifters / rockers as well. I’ve yet to do any of those repairs, and don’t really plan to. I’ll let the shop sub that out as we’re really only equipped to do basic maintenance.

In my small sample of a few hundred 2016 and 2018 Ram Promaster 2500s with the 3.6, I can’t say I’d want one. There isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not replacing an oil cooler, radiator, fan, coolant bottle, motor mounts, water pump, thermostat and/or housing and crossover, etc etc. Our higher mileage ones are usually in better shape, but I’m doing all this work on them anywhere from 10k-30k miles. I think the highest mileage 3.6s we have may be in the 60k range.

Many of the oil cooler jobs come in with faults for low oil pressure, variable cam timing disabled, etc. I typically ignore them and simply fix the leak (they’re fleet vehicles and drivers don’t complain about anything as long as it goes and stops and turns). We’ll see how many come back with the faults present again after leaks are fixed and actually need oil pumps. I feel like a few may.

They go through cams / lifters / rockers as well. I’ve yet to do any of those repairs, and don’t really plan to. I’ll let the shop sub that out as we’re really only equipped to do basic maintenance.
Have they tried using any of the aftermarket dorman metal parts as opposed to the plastic factory parts concerning the oil cooler housing or the other cooling system parts?

Have they tried using any of the aftermarket dorman metal parts as opposed to the plastic factory parts concerning the oil cooler housing or the other cooling system parts?
Yes. I’ve installed a lot of dorman and jasper metal oil coolers. I haven’t seen them come back yet. The worst part about them is their base is a bit wider so you just have to wiggle them down into the valley between the heads more carefully than an OEM one that just falls into place.

We installed alot of aftermarket plastic ones (unknown brand) that blew apart almost immediately (as in within a week of being put back into service). Some locked the motors up, some had drivers conscious enough to quit driving them.

Lately we’re only installing OEM again as they’re in stock at local dealers and we don’t have to wait anymore. Our parts guy goes out twice a week probably and comes back with 5+ sets of oil coolers, sensors, and seals.

What a contribution to this thread!

I own 2 VQ's - one has 387,000 miles on it - all mine. Several others have also commented on their positive experience on the VQ's. Perhaps you have data that indicates Ward's was wrong?

I have also learned about other great V6 engines from comments on this thread, and I believe those that were kind enough to add that information.

So perhaps you have something to contribute - other than Ward's sucks?

It seems that by challenging your selection of appeal to authority lead you to believe I was also denouncing the VQ.
I wasn't.

Your anecdotes are more valuable than a Ward's quote.

P.S. Wards sucks

Back