I guess I have a thing for '90s GM junk...

b
IMG_20230923_134414527_HDR.jpg

I have wanted one of these for years, and finally picked up this '98 Firebird with the 3.8 and 5-speed transmission a couple weeks ago. Mechanically it's in great shape except it might need a thermostat (runs cold, especially on the freeway), one of the headlight gears is stripped, and the passenger window is so slow it might as well not work at all. Other than that, the rest is all cosmetic - the usual crappy '90s GM plastic bits need replacing, but thankfully I've been able to find aftermarket replacements for just about everything that's broken. Body is perfect except for a few small dings, and a couple spots where the paint looks like it's been touched up with black Rustoleum. Might try my hand at bondo and re-painting it somewhere down the line, who knows?

T-tops because of course! 😎😎😎

Congrats on the sporty GM. I knew they offered 3.8L V6 in the camaro's of this era but didn't think they offered the same in the Firebird.

Ok lost me at junk … Good luck
I doubt they meant in a literal sense b/c they are happy with the buy on the car "They've wanted for years".

A friend had a last year Trans Am WS6 that he had to sell when kid #2 arrived. Traded it for a Charger SRT8... LOL.

He vows that he'll own another one someday...

Meh, I couldn't justify paying the stupid money people are asking for the V8s, especially when I'm not a terribly fast driver by any stretch. Not sure what exhaust is on it but it sounds surprisingly decent for a V6.

bView attachment 182670

I have wanted one of these for years, and finally picked up this '98 Firebird with the 3.8 and 5-speed transmission a couple weeks ago. Mechanically it's in great shape except it might need a thermostat (runs cold, especially on the freeway), one of the headlight gears is stripped, and the passenger window is so slow it might as well not work at all. Other than that, the rest is all cosmetic - the usual crappy '90s GM plastic bits need replacing, but thankfully I've been able to find aftermarket replacements for just about everything that's broken. Body is perfect except for a few small dings, and a couple spots where the paint looks like it's been touched up with black Rustoleum. Might try my hand at bondo and re-painting it somewhere down the line, who knows?

T-tops because of course! 😎😎😎
Chances are good pass. window was not used much and guide channels are sticky. You might free it up just by pulling door panel and looking at them and then cleaning them with some cleaner solvent. Be cautious about spraying them with any kind of lubricant as that can make things worse.

I prepped a 2000 (2001?) Camaro for a neighbor's sale.
It had the 3800 series two and a 4L60E.
Two brothers were the first to look at it and the T-top cradles in the trunk made them yelp with glee.

Attachments

• DSC01967.jpg
    DSC01967.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01969.jpg
    DSC01969.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 15
Windows on these cars are heavy and GM made the great decision to run all the power through the window switches, rather than using a relay setup that would allow the motors to pull directly from the battery. The wiring for the switches is far too small to properly power the window motors, which results in then burning out quickly. Do a quick google search for F body power window relay mod and do it while you have the doors apart. It will save you from having to replace the window motors again in a year. I have it done on both my 89 and 94 Camaros and I haven't replaced a window motor in years.

Finding a Firebird with a 3.8 and a 5 speed is pretty rare, they barely made any of these. Almost all the 3.8 came with the 4 speed auto. Looks good overall, most of the stuff for these are fairly easy to find and replace.

Windows on these cars are heavy and GM made the great decision to run all the power through the window switches, rather than using a relay setup that would allow the motors to pull directly from the battery. The wiring for the switches is far too small to properly power the window motors, which results in then burning out quickly. Do a quick google search for F body power window relay mod and do it while you have the doors apart. It will save you from having to replace the window motors again in a year. I have it done on both my 89 and 94 Camaros and I haven't replaced a window motor in years.

Finding a Firebird with a 3.8 and a 5 speed is pretty rare, they barely made any of these. Almost all the 3.8 came with the 4 speed auto. Looks good overall, most of the stuff for these are fairly easy to find and replace.
Thank you, didn't know that about the windows and everything I've come across so far is just about replacing the motors and not about changing the wiring or anything. Good tip and I'll have to look into that.

Nice car !!!!

My daughter’s close friend has a convertible one with manual used in summer only. Best thing as daughter (17) has learned to drive manual by “force” as she ends up being designated driver

I had a convertible Mustang and after replacing the top and headliner, I told myself never again. Opted for the T-Tips in the Firebird, as glass is much less likely to wear out!

Meh, I couldn't justify paying the stupid money people are asking for the V8s, especially when I'm not a terribly fast driver by any stretch. Not sure what exhaust is on it but it sounds surprisingly decent for a V6.
Smart. I have 2000 WS6 with 70,000 miles on it. The prices I see them sell for are ridiculous. The V6 is a fine driver and nice with T tops.

Honestly I an entertaining the idea of converting it to electric sometime in the distant future, GM has an "e-crate" motor in the works but battery prices are high and I'm not sure that's an undertaking I'd want to start any time soon, so I'll drive it as-is for a good while. 200 hp and instant torque in my Bolt is plenty fast...

Last edited:
Back