Buying First Sidearm! What to get???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with the idea that a Glock is unsafe. It's just like a revolver; as long as you don't pull the trigger, it doesn't fire. What's the problem?

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I disagree with the idea that a Glock is unsafe. It's just like a revolver; as long as you don't pull the trigger, it doesn't fire. What's the problem?

I agree. Futher more, NO gun is "safe".

One of the key points I like about the XD and glock are the safetys

No external safty to mess around with is nice in the heat of the moment.
As long as you treat a gun for what it is, a glock can be as "safe" as any other gun, which is not much.

I love my service 4" XD .40 S&W. No issues. Take down: Just lock the slide back, push up the disassembly lever, release slide, pull trigger and it slide will come right off. They also have a lifetime warranty, and most parts that if you have a failure can be purchased from a place like http://www.pistolgear.com

Other than that I would recommend the Baby Desert Eagle Polymer Frame Version. Wife's Xmas present. Haven't shot it yet, but there will be no doubt I won't have an issue. Only downside is no +P in the BDE.

SemiCompact BDE 3.93" barrel :)

bexdtwingw7.jpg

Would an HK USP be in your price range? I like the new XD-M3. I bought a TRP 1911 before the M3 got much exposure. The 1911 is a little bit much to lug around every day and it lacks capacity. I think the XD-m3 .40S&W holds 14 rounds if I remember correctly
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Would an HK USP be in your price range? I like the new XD-M3. I bought a TRP 1911 before the M3 got much exposure. The 1911 is a little bit much to lug around every day and it lacks capacity. I think the XD-m3 .40S&W holds 14 rounds if I remember correctly
shocked2.gif

The H&K is to bulky.
I need a SubCompact firearm. Ten round Magazine or less.
The Springfield is everything I am really looking for.

Eh, I ended up with the Glock 23 .40 S&W instead of the Taurus Millenium Pro. I have put about 500 rounds through it, various brands of ammo, and only had it jam once (ejecting a cartridge). I also had to "use" it last week during an attempted home invasion robbery at my house. No shots fired, but he'll need to throw that pair of underwear away. I think any reliable firearm would be fine for your uses.

Solo2driver,

One never hopes that they have to use their pistol/rifle/shotgun to protect ones persoanl home. It is a fact though in life.

I'm glad you like your 40 S&W!!!!! Persoanlly I still believe in the 45ACP but then the bullet size is close. In a panic I'll use anything I can get my hands on.

My house gun is a 38 special so I can't tote the bible too much.
If I were out in the field I'd use my 45ACP anytime.

Anyway be very careful as they might come back to teach you a lesson and then you'd have to use teach them a lesson.

Take care,

Durango

Last edited:
I'd have to find specs on the HST, but there's a good link about SD ammo, and average expansion for 9mm is .62", .40S&W is .68", and .45 ACP .74"

Shot placement is key. Even a .22 with enough rounds will kill someone..

I have the Glock 27. It was the first gun I bought and now I have shot many different guns and studied different rounds. If I had to do it again I would get the 26 or the 19. With the newer technology of rounds the extra kick you get with the 40 is not worth it IMO. No gun will work if you dont do your job, and its easier to do your job with the 26. I also love the Smith 642, its so easy to carry you can bring it with you all the time no matter how you dress. Great gun! If you have any questions about the 27 please feel free. Another big plus to the 9 is the cost of ammo. The more you practice the better you will be. 40 is getting expensive.

Last edited:
guess it depends on where you buy your ammunition. If you haven't figured out by now, even online orders (unless HUGE HUGE orders or reloads) are trumped by Wal-Mart . Blazer Brass. (Yes Brass and reloadable). Arguably cleaner than Winchester White Box and cheaper. $8.97/50 for 9mm(115gr), $12.47/50 for .40 S&W(180gr.), and $14.97/50 for .45ACP(230gr.) Self Defense ammo wise, most online retailers trump local. Especially places like Ammunition to go.

While the extra kick may be of concern for my wife, I still prefer my .40S&W round :) Although I might have a new preference soon, when I can get out to shoot the new toy (and no it's not .45acp, it's metric ;))

Last edited:
G27 is a good choice recently bought one and really like it !

The difference in size between the G27 and the G23 doesn't look like much on paper , but it looks like ALOT on me .

Pearce and Scherer both make replacement baseplates that give you a pinkie rest .

The Glock 11 round mags are essentially the same as the 9 rounders with a plus 2 extension that also give enough to rest your pinkie on .

G22 and G23 mags also fit the G27 work fine but look a little strange .Someone ( A&G ? ) makes a sleeve for both of these that mimics a fullsize G22 grip .

Even without the pinkie involved the recoil is not hard to handle , though with sweaty hands a regrip will be required before you finish the mag .
YMMV but not subjectively worse than a 45ACP lightweight commander with 230Gr. ball .
Brooks "A" grip helps with the sweaty hands thing and is not abrasive like skateboard tape .

Ditch the stock front sight immediately ! Trijicon makes a nifty steel tritium sight that works well with the stock rear .

Comp-tac carries the M-tac leather/kydex IWB holster , Bladetech also makes a nifty kydex IWB .

Mine likes 155 Fed. hydrashocks accuracy is excellent and flash is low . Everything else has worked fine also .

VERY reliable with the exception of using my G35 mags with the Arredondo +4 extensions ( 19 round limited class legal 140MM ) and tired springs .
My theory is that the slide cycles a bit faster than the G35 and the ammo stack can't keep up .
Stock G22 15 rounders work flawlessly .

Just as my own personal opinion :
The whole " unsupported chamber " thing is bunk . It's the excess diameter of the chamber that allows the brass to swell near the base .

It can be sized back with an EGW die ( Lee undersized die shortened by EGW ) which sizes further down the case than usual .

Metal fatigue is the problem , blow it out and squeeze it back too many times and the fatigue zone ( just foreward of the case head circling the case )
allows case head separation and KABOOM !
If reloading is your thing get a KKM drop in barrel ( tighter chamber ) for extended practice sessions and your brass will thank you .
Probably still a good idea to not get carried away with seeing just how many times is tooo many ...

And if anyone cares the +P+9MM has MUCH higher pressure than 40 .

No opinion on the XD .

I wouldn't say much higher pressure. Without looking IIRC both max for .40 and 9mm are 35000 psi. +p is only 3000 psi or so higher.

Bahh with hydrashocks too
wink.gif

Look at CZ RAMI 9mm or .40. Subcompact frame, all metal, holds nine rounds. Has the "cock and lock" safety on it. Good weight, small enough to be concealed.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Take a look at the Colt New Agent.

Picture045.jpg

45 caliber power in a small package.

I own a Glock but they are patently unsafe with the lack of safety.

Just ask this DEA agent.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ain2by4Fums

One of the biggie of gun safty rules is don't point the gun at something you do not want to shoot, Duh. Not Glocks fault. Get your Colt chamber a bullit and point it at your foot and pull the trigger ,let us know what happens.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Take a look at the Colt New Agent.

Picture045.jpg

45 caliber power in a small package.

I own a Glock but they are patently unsafe with the lack of safety.

Just ask this DEA agent.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ain2by4Fums

One of the biggie of gun safty rules is don't point the gun at something you do not want to shoot, Duh. Not Glocks fault. Get your Colt chamber a bullit and point it at your foot and pull the trigger ,let us know what happens.

Looks like he had a full magazine, chambered the cartridge and then pulled the trigger. He's lucky he was pointing it on his foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back