Buying First Sidearm! What to get???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER

Pearce and Scherer both make replacement baseplates that give you a pinkie rest .

Someone ( A&G ? ) makes a sleeve for both of these that mimics a fullsize G22 grip .

Even without the pinkie involved the recoil is not hard to handle , though with sweaty hands a regrip will be required before you finish the mag .

Brooks "A" grip helps with the sweaty hands thing and is not abrasive like skateboard tape .

Ditch the stock front sight immediately !

As someone who has owned Glocks since they came out and put *many* thousands of rounds down range (and carried one on my hip for *many* years) it is interesting that you have to do so much to make the gun "better".

Just as my own personal opinion :
The whole " unsupported chamber " thing is bunk . It's the excess diameter of the chamber that allows the brass to swell near the base .

It can be sized back with an EGW die ( Lee undersized die shortened by EGW ) which sizes further down the case than usual .

Metal fatigue is the problem , blow it out and squeeze it back too many times and the fatigue zone ( just foreward of the case head circling the case )
allows case head separation and KABOOM !
If reloading is your thing get a KKM drop in barrel ( tighter chamber ) for extended practice sessions and your brass will thank you .
Probably still a good idea to not get carried away with seeing just how many times is tooo many ...
And another thing to have to purchase (barrel) to make it "better" and safer.

I've SEEN a few Kabooms PERSONALLY and they were with factory ammo in the .40 S&W.

How come the other manufactures can get buy with a safer FULL supported barrel that works every time but Glock STILL has the unsupported barrel?

I've sold all my Glocks (and I had them for decades) when (IMO) something better came along.

The Glock is a fine weapon, but it dated.

They NEED to fix the grip, (I also had Hogue slip on grip on all my Glocks) put on metal sights (I also had to replace the sights since the plastic wears) and make a barrel that allow you to shoot lead (I had different barrel for lead).

(and with the cost of AMMO going up and the upcoming 500% tax on it, reloading and lead will be the only way many of us can shoot. Most agencies are limiting budgets on training ammo these days)

Other manufactures do all of that from the factory.

But I will tell you, the unsupported barrel is a PROBLEM. So much that it was close to the number #1 reason why I don't have my Model 22, 23 and 27 any more. The model 21, 17 and 19 all went because I wanted to get into a American made firearm.

And I feel that when imported parts and weapons are outlawed to the USA that I wanted to be sure that I could get parts.

Take care and be SAFE! Bill

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I wouldn't say much higher pressure. Without looking IIRC both max for .40 and 9mm are 35000 psi. +p is only 3000 psi or so higher.

Bahh with hydrashocks too
wink.gif

Correct , however +P+ designation has no industry standard .
Eyeballing RA9TA brass I would guess well over 40,000 PSI .

Bill ,

I would absolutely NOT advise you to buy a Glock .

Several months ago I bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm +p RA9124TP brass and it is listed at 38,500 psi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Eh, I ended up with the Glock 23 .40 S&W instead of the Taurus Millenium Pro. I have put about 500 rounds through it, various brands of ammo, and only had it jam once (ejecting a cartridge). I also had to "use" it last week during an attempted home invasion robbery at my house. No shots fired, but he'll need to throw that pair of underwear away. I think any reliable firearm would be fine for your uses.

Glock23.jpg

And around the house/yard--

holster2.jpg

I love my Springfield XD 45. I don't think I'd want one of their sub compacts tho for a carry gun as a single action pistol with no thumb safety just doesn't seem safe to me. I'd look at the M&P
100_0260.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INMY01TA
I love my Springfield XD 45. I don't think I'd want one of their sub compacts tho for a carry gun as a single action pistol with no thumb safety just doesn't seem safe to me. I'd look at the M&P
100_0260.jpg

Take training classes and you'll understand why even most instructors advise a firearm without a manual safety. Like a glock it won't go boom unless you're finger is on the trigger. However unless you have a proper grip on the XD and your finger on the trigger it won't go boom either.

Bill is there any evidence of this 500% ammo tax.

As far as the .40's going kaboom, from an interesting article I've read, alot of it has to do with rechambering a .40S&W round, specifically the 180grain rounds. Reducing OAL, and seating the bullet deeper into the case, increases pressure. And with an unsupported chamber such as Glock that can spell trouble.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
Bill is there any evidence of this 500% ammo tax.

As far as the .40's going kaboom, from an interesting article I've read, alot of it has to do with rechambering a .40S&W round, specifically the 180grain rounds. Reducing OAL, and seating the bullet deeper into the case, increases pressure. And with an unsupported chamber such as Glock that can spell trouble.

It's on the list to be in for a vote soon. A certain person (his initials are CS) said that he will sponsor it from New York within the next 90 days (I heard the sound bite myself) and it will be passed and signed.
mad.gif

Every Kaboom I've seen (I've witnessed a few) have been with factory ammo. 3 with 155gn FMJ and 1 with 180gn JHP. ALL of them in Glocks.

I've seen (and had one myself) frame cracks in Sigs (early P229). Other than those, every thing else has been very safe and reliable in the .40 S&W.

9MM seems to have more jams that I've seen. Esp in the cheaper semi-autos...
21.gif

The Semi autos that I've been impressed with as far as lower priced but accurate, reliable for home / target use are the P series of Rugers. I've got a P85 that has seen thousands and thousands with never a problem. Same with my P90. My P94 is a nice shooting weapon too. Just don't try to carry it concealed.
48.gif

Take care, Bill

Solo,

Looks like we have the same taste on holsters!
grin2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

(I have a clip on one too)

26 rounds of .40 S&W in a nice small package....

I don't think I'd want one of their sub compacts tho for a carry gun as a single action pistol with no thumb safety just doesn't seem safe to me.

No gun is "safe".

Very nice XD. Way to big for carry for me, but nice looking range/duty sidearm.

I have made up my mind, I am buying a Glock 26. I am just waiting for my carry permit to get approved. It takes a while. Once I get my carry permit, I am going to go pick up my 26.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Solo,

Looks like we have the same taste on holsters!
grin2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

(I have a clip on one too)

26 rounds of .40 S&W in a nice small package....

Subies and Holsters :)

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I don't think I'd want one of their sub compacts tho for a carry gun as a single action pistol with no thumb safety just doesn't seem safe to me.

No gun is "safe".

Very nice XD. Way to big for carry for me, but nice looking range/duty sidearm.

Guess it depends on how you look at it. Any gun is safe, until you put it into your hands :)

Xd isn't that big. I'm still debating, but I will probably be daily carrying my new toy..

fiveseven2aa0.jpg

I will post up pics of my Para 1911 that I take to the range all the time. I have a real nice Galco holster for it, but it is way to heavy to carry all the time. If I know I am going to a shady neck of town, its nice to have the 1911 45acp hicap.

Bill ,

I would absolutely NOT advise you to buy a Glock .

No worries.

Been there, done that. At one time I had plenty.

Put many thousands of rounds down range with them.

Thanks for the advice, Bill

the best one for you is the one that feels the best when you fire it--so try different ones by norrowing one from friends or some ranges have rental guns. if it is you first carry gun, a 1911 may make you nervous since it is "cocked & lock" with the hammer up. the springfield XD is great and the 45 now has a thumb safety if you prefer it. for a carry gun is a stress situation, it is recommended you have the fewest buttons and levers to deal with....that is why glocks and XD's are popular. both are good but may feel different. also weight is an issue. 1911's are going to be harder to conceal and heavier while xd and glock are lighter. it is mostly a matter of personal preference. if you get one, you need to practice a lot--drawing, trigger control, and clearing malfunctions. and of course--keep it clean.

Originally Posted By: KA426
I'd recommend what I just bought. A Taurus Tactical 24/7 OSS in .40 S&W.

Nothing against your gun, but I would never buy a Taurus.
IMHO there are many other choices out there of a higher quality like Glock, S&W M+P, and even the Springfield XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back