LIQUI MOLY 10W-40 MoS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I have read about the Molybdenum Disulfide in this site and I discovered a german lubricant LIQUI MOLY 10W-40 with MoS2. It is available in Europe, I do not know if it is available in USA or Australia.
So is it a good thing or a bad thing? I know that it is hard to keep the 'Moly' in suspension, so is it working? And how does it work? MoS2 is usualy used to form a ceramic layer on the metal surfaces inside the engine but here it is used as an anti-wear additive.. I think it is just in the oil and will not form any layer... or will it?
54.gif

PS.Liqui Moly are selling an additive, which forms this ceramic layer - the product is called CERATEC.

Interesting.
In the following pdf file provided by the Liqui Moly company , this oil gets a perfect score for reducing friction and wear . In fact it is the best in this area according to them, better than any other oil they sell!!

liqui moly web site

It's API SJ/SH though.

Last edited:
"Oil additives deposit a heavy-duty lubricating film on the
metal surfaces to smooth out these irregularities. One of the
substances used is MoS2 (molybdenum sulfide), a highperformance
lubricant that prevents any metal contact in
mixed friction areas. Molybdenum sulfide forms a thin film
on the surface of the metal. This does not impair the
properties of the motor oil used, but friction resistance and
wear are reduced by up to 50 %. When added to gear oils,
gear oil additives help to smooth out the tooth faces even of
older transmissions. The benefits are quieter running,
smoother gearshifts and a longer service life of the transmission."

liqui moly web site

Yes! I inspected the same file yesterday.
It seems that Liqui Moly managed to fight the wear problem
grin2.gif

10W-40 has more wear protection than their 0W-40, but I think the 'Moly' particles can stick together to bigger structures which can block the oil filter....

Molybdenum Disulfide is not oil soluble and there is a good chance that it wind up on the bottom of your oil pan. Usually used in greases. Sounds like marketing to me.

Just read their website. Great reading the English language version.

Back in 1960, I used to buy an MoS2 additive, not like this oil in the website. Forget what the additive was called. (Something like MolySlip or MolyLube, can't remember). Used it for a couple years, Came in a 10 oz (or 8 oz or 12 oz) bottle, and very black. Just added it to the oil. Never had any problems with it. I remember that one of the things they said in their ads was that they put it in a car and let it mix for one or two days of driving, then they drained all the oil out, and drove the car around a race track for a couple hours, with no oil in the car. Well, I don't believe the claim about driving around the track for a few hours, but I never had any problems using it in the couple years I used it.

In later years, I also had some "Moly Paste" (like a grease) that I would mix with gear oil for transmission and rear end gears. Never had a failure with that mix. (I still have some of the Moly Paste in a can in my shed to this day).

Just re-read their website again.

1. I like the charts that compare various things between each of their oils. Things like fuel economy, penetration (I guess this means how well it flows when cold?) how long they last, etc.

2. Talked about "Hydrocracked" oil. (This is Group III oils)

3. In first reading about their product, I could not figure out if there was any "moly" in their Liqui Moly as they don't actually say there is any in their oil. Then near the end, it mentions something about how we can get moly both within the oil and as an additive from a seperate container. Still am confused.
Can't just go by the name as a name just does not mean anything.
(I.E., look at "HD Radio", which is just a name [like XM] and is NOT like the HD Television whereas it means High Def TV)

4. In reading this, I saw where they say that VW calls for OCI of every 15000 kilometers (9375 miles) or once a year, whatever comes first. (My European leased Renault Lagunas call for the OCI every 30000 kilometers [18750 miles]).

All in all, this was very good reading.

Hi,
SpeedyMan - Liqui Moly GmbH's Leichtlauf HC7 5W-40 lubricant has official Porsche Approval and is Listed as valid until 09/05/09.

I beleive that some Liqui Moly GmbH's products are used as Factory fill at some Euro vehicle assembly plants

I use Liqui Moly Diesel Synthoil 5w40 and the Liqui Moly MoS2 additive with it.

I believe only the MoS2 Leichtlauf has moly. It's only an SH oil. I doubt you can have an SJ/L/M oil with moly in it.

The engine (2.0 hdi - common rail turbodiesel - 90 bhp) runs very smooth when hot.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I don't think you can even find someone to do a proper used oil analysis. Not for the mainstream public, anyway.

There's really no one offering metallographic analysis services spent oil for automotive maintenance and wear analysis purposes.

Sure, you can have your oil analyzed but there's no automotive engineer and tribologist worth his salt to interpret the results.

And mailing them all the way to blackstone labs is kind of a pain.

I guess I'll know in a few hundred thousand miles...

On a side note, Liqui-Moly defines

- HC (hydrocracked oils) oils as "mineral oils that have been further refined and that contain some synthetic components"

- TS (semi-synth oils) as "mineral oils with synthetic components)

EDIT: Oops, just noticed there's an English version of the PDF....

I should e-mail them and see what the base stocks are for Diesel Synthoil 5w40 full synth. Lord knows it costs an arm and a leg.

Originally Posted By: SonyAD
I don't think you can even find someone to do a proper used oil analysis.

Yes, you can:
http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

I should e-mail them and see what the base stocks are for Diesel Synthoil 5w40 full synth. Lord knows it costs an arm and a leg.

It must be PAO.
Liqui moly is one of the few companies that clearly define which of their products are fully synthetic , synthetic technology( group III) , semi synthetic and mineral .
The Diesel Synthoil 5w40 is in the first category according to their internt site.
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/e_engineoils4strokecar_nt0006050e.html

I know. That's one of the things that first impressed me about them. The thing is I was secretly hoping for a Group IV & V mix.

That's why I keep postponing emailing them to ask if that's the case. I don't want my hopes dashed.

After waiting for weeks for answers on this forums to simple questions regarding European full synthetic engine oil something tells me our European oils and oil companies are similar to our car manufacturers' cars and engines and the Japanese's.

Head and shoulders above anything the yanks have.

Last edited:
IAfter waiting for weeks for answers on this forums to simple questions regarding European full synthetic engine oil something tells me our European oils and oil companies are similar to our car manufacturers' cars and engines and the Japanese's.

Head and shoulders above anything the yanks have.

Hmm, you should have asked about European oils on a Euro forum. Surely they would have had the answers people couldn't provide here.

The cars you make are head and shoulders above anything the "yanks have" (I guess you mean design and manufacture)? What exactly do you make in Romania? The Russian Dacia (Ruskie-Renault) under license?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back