08 Yamaha R6..Rotella or Amsoil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey whats up everybody?? I'm going to be getting a new R6 within the next month..i'm trying to factor in the cost of maintenance and what not with my monthly payments..I used to ride motocross and i had an 01 yz250F..i always used Rotella in that bike and it worked awesome..i rode the [censored] out of that thing for 3 years and sold it with the original clutch..Now if i get an R6, i was going to use Rotella in it..but to be honest, i'm going to change the oil every 3-4K miles..So it wont kill me to spend the extra money on the Amsoil..My main concern with using the Rotella is that since its not a motorcycle specific oil, that they may change the chemistry of the oil suddenly, and than it may not be suitable to use in a motorcycle..Is that a dumb thing to worry about? I just really want to pick an oil and be able to stick with it for the time that i own the bike..The R6 holds 2.75qts with a filter change, and yamaha recommends changing the oil every 4K miles, with filter changes every 8K miles.. I'll be doing probably 3 or 4K change intervals and changing the filter everytime. Alright well thanks for any advice you guys can give me..

I like Rotella. Easy to find anywhere. Not pricey. Long successful history with Motorcycles.

The add package is strong. If you want a big dose of ZDDP find the CI-4+ 5w40 RTS, get a case or two. Ten gallons would last near 60,000 miles.

Rotella IS a good oil. Especially for the price.

However the Amsoil MC oils are better. They show exceptional shear resistance and the wear as shown in UOA's has been fairly awesome.

Is Rotella a "diesel" oil? If so, Yamaha recommends against using them as they do any energy conserving oils. I just bought an 07 ZYF600RW. It recommends a 20W40 for temps above approx 40F and a 10W30 below.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Is Rotella a "diesel" oil? If so, Yamaha recommends against using them as they do any energy conserving oils. I just bought an 07 ZYF600RW. It recommends a 20W40 for temps above approx 40F and a 10W30 below.

Rotella is not an "energy conserving" oil ... it has no friction modifiers and does not carry the API "starburst" emblem that is commonly seen on automotive oils.

The only 20W40 I'm aware of is Yamaha's "Yamalube" oil. Coincidence?
wink.gif

Rotella 15W-40 would work perfectly well in your bike. Perfectly well.

So too would Amsoil -- it's very good oil.

Much depends on the change interval you feel comfortable with. Some folks like to swap out oil more frequently ... and if so, then Rotella at $9/gallon from Wal-Mart is perfect. If you're comfortable with a longer change interval -- 8K miles; 10K miles or higher -- then Amsoil might be the ticket.

rotella doesent say anything on the bottle about energy conserving..but you are correct that yamaha doesent recommend using diesel oils..but to be honest i think its just because they want you to buy there oil

oops...tucsondon you posted that right when i was typing my'n..Yea i think its pretty funny how they recommend 20w40 and yamalube is the only 20w40 that i ever see out there. The reason i used Rotella in my dirtbike was because i would change the oil after every weekend of riding, so it didnt make any sense for me to spend 10 dollars a quart on oil. I'm honestly not comfortable at all going 8K miles..especially since i'm gonna be riding the bike fairly hard at times..the max i'll go is there recommended interval of 4K miles..Are there any "new" certifications that Rotella is going to have to meet in the near future that you guys are aware of?? Any of these in which would make the oil not suitable to use in a wet clutch application?? thanks for the replies so far guys.

I use rotella in my 9 with no problems or worries.

I use it in my crf on both sides and change out after every 2 or 3 riding sessions.

Like don posted, if going to be going longer drain intervals amsoil or the other motorcycle specific oils will probablly but not necessarily do better. The motorcycle specific oils are more shear stable, have more additives and higher flashpoints than pcmo's. However there are uoa's on here of 8K on rotella 15w40 and it did pretty good.

I change mine at 2000-2500 miles so cant justify spending the money for amsoil, so rotella or the other hdeo's work just fine for me.

Of course yami wants you to buy their oils, just like honda, kawasaki etc...my buddy only uses Harley oil in his vrod.............

I've raced these bikes with Rotella: 1997 MZ Skorpion Cup, 1999 ZX6R, 2000 ZX6R, 2001 GSXR600, 2003 R6, 2006 R6, 2007 SV1000S, 2007 GSXR750.

It's a fine oil, and it works very, very well in motorcycles.

I think Amsoil is very good too.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
ST7317 filter??

Thats it. You cant beat it for $2.50. Especially when kawis are almost $13.

yup, I have not run the ST filter on my nine but have been doing the purolator pure one PL 14610, got about 12 of them at buy one get one on amazon for $5.88, over $25 with free shipping.

But would not hesitate to run the ST

I do have an oem one just in case it may need to go into the dealer for service but have not had to use it in 4 years so....

I have used Rotella T 5W40 in my '04 R6 and my '06 CBR1000RR with no issues. Shifting is smooth with no clutch slippage. However this is all just opinion so I would do a search for any UOA's on this oil used in this application if you want real data.

I have and still do run both.

They are both awesome.

In my 08 GSX-R750 I am running the new Rotella triple in 15-40 and it is outstanding.

I usually switch to Amosil motorcycle 10-40 at about 3000 miles.

I can't say enough about both as they are top notch even when we tear down the engines on our race bikes they look great inside.

But as stated above do not listen to me go by what the manufacture recommends and also send you oil in for analysis every now and than.

Hey everybody, i just wanted to say thanks for all the replies..I got the bike last saturday and ive already put 750 miles on it..i did the first oil change at 580 miles..i put Yamalube 10w40 in the bike because i got 3 quarts for free when i bought the bike. The bike shifts terrible with the yamalube..i'm not sure why..The bike was shifting perfectly until i did the oil change and put the yamalube in it and now when i'm shifting the gearbox feels really "clunky"..it seems like i have to really make an effort to downshift to the next gear (if that makes any sense)..I didnt think that oil would make such a big difference in how the bike shifts. I think i'm gonna use Amsoil in the bike, but i dont want to put synthetic in it until around 1500 miles or so..Other than that though i absolutely love the bike and i've been having a blast riding it..If anyone knows anything about the clunky shifts i would appreciate some advice..i really hope nothing is wrong with the transmission or anything

I have the same problem with my zx10 now. I switched from mx4t to syn rotella and it was shifting bad. I have put around 400 miles on the oil and its starting to shift better. If it keeps shifting like it did this morning I will keep running rotella. I dont know why it was shifting so bad after the switch. It was bad enough that I started to drain it and put some more 4t in.

i had notchy clutchless upshifts with mx4t, swapped to rotella and the shifting is smoother. Think every bike will be different and you can have to identical bikes and put the same oil in and both will react differently..

key is to find what works good for you and stick with it.

hey guys i drained the yamalube and got some rotella 15w40 at walmart..i put about 75 miles on the bike today and the shifting felt good again..im still gonna try the amsoil at about 1500 miles to see how that is but man its sure nice to get 2 oil changes worth of oil for 12 bucks

Originally Posted By: wantin150

I was thinking that my Yamaha owner's manual recommends against a particular diesel oil rating - and I think it's an old rating. Somebody look that up for me, please.
grin2.gif

Seriously - we have three Yamahas and my son came to me with that - haveing a cow that we'd been using a diesel oil in HIS bike. Looked it up in the manual and it was an old designation that's not available anymore (that I know of).

Even Harley-Davidson, who recommends NOTHING but their "Genuine Harley-Davidson" oil says in the owner's manual to use diesel oil if you can't get their majic elixer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back