zf8hp70 fluid change

Hello everyone,
I have a jeep grand Cherokee 2014 v8 5.7 hemi that comes with the ZF8hp70 transmission.
Right now the car has 60.000 miles and I want to change the fluid of the transmission because ZF recommend that. Is that ok to do only the fluid change without changing the oil pan that includes the filter?
Just open the drain plug and change with new fluid.
The car is not used for towing or severe duty. Just normally stop and go in a small city.

I would drop the pan and clean it and the magnets along with a new filter and gasket. Buy the correct fluid and not a one size fits all substitute. I think that your tranny may have a reusable gasket, if not they are available and fit the best.
EDIT: Hold on...is this one of the integrated pan/filter combos? If it is. Replace it with new.

Last edited:
I would drop the pan and clean it and the magnets along with a new filter and gasket. Buy the correct fluid and not a one size fits all substitute. I think that your tranny may have a reusable gasket, if not they are available and fit the best.
The filter is integral with the pan. The new pan and filter is $250-300.

I would replace the pan/filter combo.

Last edited:
The filter is integral with the pan. The new pan and filter is $250-300.

I would replace the pan/filter combo.
It is a expensive job, but that transmission is far more expensive so the risk is yours.

At minimum change out the fluid and next service do the pan/filter.

You probably can, and I'd be tempted to do that if I had one of those cars and the only option was a $200 pan.

The good news is that you don't have to pay that much because there are aftermarket pans on Amazon for only $40 :D

One of those pans is a Dorman...and you know what many here say about Dorman.
FTI: The filter in the Dorman offering is itself replaceable.
The availability of those pans and the replacement filter on RockAuto is very "on & off".
Even after my brush with acquiring one for my friend (I asked at a dealership where they knew my ancient Dodge Parts Dept. labor), I'd consider giving the Dorman a try.

Early ZF 8HP70 transmissions had valvetrain issues, as many of them shifted with problematic solenoids. Programing wasn't the best either. Add to that that you have break-in debris in the transmission screen (filter) and the magnets are packed with metallic gunk at that mileage. If almost every time you come to a stop you feel like someone's kicking you in the rear-end (the dreaded 2-1 shift), or if you have a harsh and sudden upshift while going up a hill or grade, then you have one of those problematic transmissions.

If you want to keep that transmission for a long time, I suggest you get a PPE aluminum oil pan and after installing it do two more drains and three fills (cause you already drained it once to get it off). Use whatever ATF you like, you don't have to use Lifeguard 8. Even Maxlife ATF is superior to Lifeguard 8/Mopar 8&9 Speed ATF.

That being said, it is your vehicle, so feel free to do as you please.

Early ZF 8HP70 transmissions had valvetrain issues, as many of them shifted with problematic solenoids. Programing wasn't the best either. Add to that that you have break-in debris in the transmission screen (filter) and the magnets are packed with metallic gunk at that mileage. If almost every time you come to a stop you feel like someone's kicking you in the rear-end (the dreaded 2-1 shift), or if you have a harsh and sudden upshift while going up a hill or grade, then you have one of those problematic transmissions.

If you want to keep that transmission for a long time, I suggest you get a PPE aluminum oil pan and after installing it do two more drains and three fills (cause you already drained it once to get it off). Use whatever ATF you like, you don't have to use Lifeguard 8. Even Maxlife ATF is superior to Lifeguard 8/Mopar 8&9 Speed ATF.

That being said, it is your vehicle, so feel free to do as you please.
How does the PPE pan work since the factory pan has built in filter?

OEM Pan is about $163 online not 300.

I would change it this time. It has all the break in debris. the next 60k miles will have much less debris.

How does the PPE pan work since the factory pan has built in filter?

OEM Pan is about $163 online not 300.

I would change it this time. It has all the break in debris. the next 60k miles will have much less debris.
It has a big replaceable filter that costs about $30. The pan with the filter costs $329 (or less if you buy via a distributor/reseller). It's a buy once - cry once type of deal.

URL: https://ppepower.com/products/trans...avy-duty-cast-aluminum?variant=43838501781747

1706480275252.jpg

Thats a nice option. Would take 3 filter changes to be ahead($$$) but I like the idea.
It holds more ATF and can't be sliced up by a blade or something sharp like the plastic pan can. The thing is heavy duty. Can't wait to install mine. Did it once before on a RAM 1500. That one is even deeper.

Off topic, forgive me: What is the spark plug change interval for those motors? I've read everything between 15K-60K miles depending upon the plug type.

You probably can, and I'd be tempted to do that if I had one of those cars and the only option was a $200 pan.

The good news is that you don't have to pay that much because there are aftermarket pans on Amazon for only $40 :D
I would not do aftermarket, there is a guy on yt with Ram, clearly showed that aftermarket pan started leaking right away and showed why the aftermarket pans are flawed

I am also at 60K with Zf8 and not very enthusiastic to replace pan just at 60K. Only my doubts is the plastic drain plug on the plastic pain will able to withstand opening and closing.
This.

Going to do a change soon on my dad's 2020 Grand Cherokee with 5.7/ZF8. I'd be more concerned about the plastic pan and drain plug holding up to multiple uses.

Back