ZF Lifeguard 9 compatibility with transmissions that use ZF Lifeguard 8 or Mopar 8&9

I have come to learn that Valvoline maxlife ATF is a compatible alternative fluid for the 8-speed or 9-speed...
I serviced my zf9 speed with Valvoline maxlife ATF and 10,000 miles later its shifting perfectly.. lol besides the 9-speed ZF being a little quirky

Valvoline Max life ATF is actually a recommended alternative fluid now for the ZF 8 and 9-speed transmissions..

Reactions: JTK
Yes, recommended by the additive suppliers…not by ZF
Somebody posted a video of a Mopar Tech putting Maxlife in a ZF …
Hope to hear more about that in the next couple years …
I bought enough ZF LG8 (7 quarts) to do a pan clean out - but I find it to be a bigger rip off than those who cry about Dexos/Dexron … (which is pennies for the consumer) …

Folks need to see what Mopar dealerships sell their ATF for …

Yes, recommended by the additive suppliers…not by ZF
Valvoline Max life is actually a recommended fluid at all of the parts houses now for the ZF8 and 9 speed transmissions

Myself I called Valvoline and they recommended their Max life ATF for my ZF9 speed..
The only other lubricant manufacturer to have a recommended fluid for these transmissions is Amsoil.. All the other lubricant manufacturers have nothing to recommend for these transmissions.. Aftermarket is Max life or Amsoil.
The stuff at the dealership is just too much money.. lol and yes I know it cost a lot of money to have a transmission replaced, just saying there are aftermarket alternatives.👍

Last edited:
Valvoline Max life is actually a recommended fluid at all of the parts houses now for the ZF8 and 9 speed transmissions

Myself I called Valvoline and they recommended their Max life ATF for my ZF9 speed..
The only other lubricant manufacturer to have a recommended fluid for these transmissions is Amsoil.. All the other lubricant manufacturers have nothing to recommend for these transmissions.. Aftermarket is Max life or Amsoil.
Anyone can make a recommendation - but the risk is on the user. If you feel that the additive supplier has done enough testing to support their claim, then you can be a customer. Because in reality, very few of these blenders do their own testing, and definitely not for all of the listed applications.

Anyone can make a recommendation - but the risk is on the user. If you feel that the additive supplier has done enough testing to support their claim, then you can be a customer. Because in reality, very few of these blenders do their own testing, and definitely not for all of the listed applications.
All of the National parts houses recommend Max life ATF and Amsoil ATF..

If you go on YouTube you will see video after video of people using those two brand names Valvoline maxlife and Amsoil signature series ATF in their ZF transmissions..

Food for thought though,. Pennzoil and I believe also ConocoPhillips is the manufacturers of zf8 and zf9 transmission fluids... They supply ZF and Chrysler Fiat with their fluids for those transmissions..
Like most manufacturer or dealership products they are marked up extremely high in price..

Valvoline Max life and Amsoil signature series are actually recommended by all the parts houses and Auto parts suppliers now to use in ZF transmissions..

Valvoline and Amsoil claim with full confidence that their ATF fluids meet or exceed the manufacturer's recommendations for ZF transmissions..

If you go on YouTube and research this you will find a number of videos of people using Max Life and Amsoil in ZF transmissions..

I am not an expert,, but I am sharing what I have found in research and now personal practice.

Last edited:
Somebody posted a video of a Mopar Tech putting Maxlife in a ZF …
Hope to hear more about that in the next couple years …
I bought enough ZF LG8 (7 quarts) to do a pan clean out - but I find it to be a bigger rip off than those who cry about Dexos/Dexron … (which is pennies for the consumer) …

Folks need to see what Mopar dealerships sell their ATF for …
It's ridiculously expensive at the Chrysler dealerships..

$36.00 a qrt. at my local Chrysler dealership.
$20.00 a qrt. Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient. @Napa
$25 a gallon Valvoline Max life ATF. @Walmart

Last edited:
It's ridiculously expensive at the Chrysler dealerships..

$36.00 a qrt. at my local Chrysler dealership.
$20.00 a qrt. Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient. @Napa
$25 a gallon Valvoline Max life ATF. @Walmart
Yep - got ZF on eBay for $20/qt … but that’s a while back …

I am about to do a ZF fluid change. FCP Euro sent me the”new” version.

If I end up with some leftovers I am happy to send in a fluid test for the virgin sample. Might take me a few weeks to get around to doing the ATF change though.

I am about to do a ZF fluid change. FCP Euro sent me the”new” version.

If I end up with some leftovers I am happy to send in a fluid test for the virgin sample. Might take me a few weeks to get around to doing the ATF change though.

Reading between the lines....I get the impression that they'll be going back to the old version, eventually?

@ps2cho That would be awesome! As you see per my pic, I had some leftover from my last change in 2020. Whenever you send yours in, let me know and I will send mine in at the same time. We will both hopefully have results around same time period to post here.

@The Critic My understanding from communicating with them that old/original ZF should be hitting store shelves right about now. The trouble is that most suppliers combined two P/Ns into one, so you don't know what you're getting. On the flip side, FCP Euro still separates them but I check it weekly, and the status remains the same - Not Available.

Is Mopar fluid made by the same manufacturer that makes ZF original fluid? FCP dropped the price of Lifeguard 8 original to $15.89, which irks my soul because I just bought 5 bottles for $22 each. Dang it, patience was key to this whole ordeal!

Is Mopar fluid made by the same manufacturer that makes ZF original fluid? FCP dropped the price of Lifeguard 8 original to $15.89, which irks my soul because I just bought 5 bottles for $22 each. Dang it, patience was key to this whole ordeal!
Supposedly Lifeguard 8, not sure which version (original supplier or temporary supplier).

I think I found a better deal. Is this 🤔🤔🤔
I have come to learn that Valvoline maxlife ATF is a compatible alternative fluid for the 8-speed or 9-speed...
I serviced my zf9 speed with Valvoline maxlife ATF and 10,000 miles later its shifting perfectly.. lol besides the 9-speed ZF being a little quirky

Valvoline Max life ATF is actually a recommended alternative fluid now for the ZF 8 and 9-speed transmissions..
Maxlife always had a distinct smell. It seemed like the factory Mopar fluid smelled like that too. The Pentosin I used definitely did. There’s no mistaking it.

Hey guys, check this out. Is it what I think it is? 🤔🤔🤔😯

Attachments

• A16F47EB-B2A7-45AA-B1B4-B7DD0DDBD166.jpeg
    A16F47EB-B2A7-45AA-B1B4-B7DD0DDBD166.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 280
Back