ZF Lifeguard 9 compatibility with transmissions that use ZF Lifeguard 8 or Mopar 8&9

I sent a request this morning asking if ZF LG9 is compatible with my 850RE (Mopar 8&9 or ZF LG 8 is what is specified) and already received a response that yes, it is.

For anyone who may be having difficulty finding ZF LG8 but can find LG9, you are good to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 09:30
To: CarbonSteel
Subject: Your ZF Services Request #961736

Dear CarbonSteel,

Yes, ZF Lifeguard Fluid 9 is compatible with the 8hp50 transmission. There is also a fluid that is being introduced to the market, which is called Lifeguard Fluid 8 ATF. It might not be available yet, but it is replacing Lifeguard 8..

Your question to us:

I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with the 850RE (8HP) transmission. Can you tell me if ZF Lifeguard 9 is compatible with this transmission?

Please reply to this mail using the “Reply” button of you mail client – DO NOT CHANGE THE E-MAIL SUBJECT.
For further questions or updates please contact ZF Services North America, LLC., telephone: +1 847 478 6868.
Always provide your request ID when contacting us regarding this request, please.

Disclaimer:
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS PROVIDED TO THE REQUESTOR ON AN "AS IS, WHERE IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND (EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A SPECIFIC OR GENERAL PURPOSE AND THOSE ARISING BY STATUTE OR BY LAW, OR FROM A CAUSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. ZF DOES NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION WITH THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER ARISING UNDER BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER BASED ON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Kind regards

Your ZF Service Desk

Wonder why the change? The ZF8 has been around for what... 10 years now? Same product, new bottle? Maybe trying to cure an issue? Or has the ZF8 been too reliable and now they want to kill them all off? :ROFLMAO:

I just received an order of 6 bottles of ZF Lifeguard 8 and it was the new stuff--ZF Lifeguard 8 ATF so it appears the phase out of Lifeguard 8 is starting.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can use Lifeguard 8 in my Lifeguard 6 application BMW 530I, as I have a stock of Lifeguard 8.

Is there a production date on the new bottles?
The numbers at the top of the image are all I see and a quick internet search revealed nothing:

20221116_064259.jpg

Bottle Comparison (old on left and new on right):

20221116_080342.jpg

20221116_080355.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Where did you purchase these from?
Here you go. I have bought all of my ZF fluid from them and found them very competitive and with great service.

My Honda dealer uses BG fluid to flush ZF 8 or 9 transmissions.
No FCA dealer I contacted could tell me how they were going to "flush" the transmission (given the temperature operated valving) without over pressuring it. After talking with 3 of them, I opted to do this myself and not have someone who does not know (or even recommend) changing the filter and fluid working on mine.

Not sure what BG fluid is, but hopefully it is approved by Honda for use in their transmissions.

Not sure what BG fluid is, but hopefully it is approved by Honda for use in their transmissions.
It is just another "universal ATF," but one that is supplied by the Snake Oil Peddlers that service dealers (e.g. BG, MOC, Justice Brothers, Wynn's)

It is just another "universal ATF," but one that is supplied by the Snake Oil Peddlers that service dealers (e.g. BG, MOC, Justice Brothers, Wynn's)
Ah...as I suspected. Not worth it in my opinion--$125 for official fluid versus "whatever" for universal (no matter how cheap) is not a good decision in my book.

I’m not flushing them on FCA ones just fluid services.

Bypass valves on the lines on most of our products took away the flush via lines

You could get around that by hooking right to the trans although access on some not great

The FCA fluid is expensive it gets hard to sell

I’m not flushing them on FCA ones just fluid services.

Bypass valves on the lines on most of our products took away the flush via lines

You could get around that by hooking right to the trans although access on some not great

The FCA fluid is expensive it gets hard to sell
Yeah, it's the reason I went with ZF fluid--it is half the cost of FCA, which is rebranded ZF anyway...

Yeah, it's the reason I went with ZF fluid--it is half the cost of FCA, which is rebranded ZF anyway...
I have the part numbers from the ZF email. Similar to what you have received. But it appears these shopping site configurators used on eBay, Amazon, etc. all I have tried disagree. They think the transmission fluid used in a Jeep Cherokee Limited with a 3.2 engine is different somehow. Wonder why..

Attachments

• CF4C0933-D994-4FDF-A6B3-42F6ACFB6AD3.jpg
    CF4C0933-D994-4FDF-A6B3-42F6ACFB6AD3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 46
I have the part numbers from the ZF email. Similar to what you have received. But it appears these shopping site configurators used on eBay, Amazon, etc. all I have tried disagree. They think the transmission fluid used in a Jeep Cherokee Limited with a 3.2 engine is different somehow. Wonder why..
What transmission is in it?

Back