ZF 8 Multi Vehicle ATF Experiences

Let me know what fluids you have used in the ZF 8 speed transmissions and how they performed.

Maxlife is what I plan to put into mine when the time comes. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but there is a guy on ram forums that has several hundred k miles on it in his ram with no issues.

Maxlife is what I plan to put into mine when the time comes. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but there is a guy on ram forums that has several hundred k miles on it in his ram with no issues.
I have seen a lot of those on the Ram forums. It definitely adds a lot of confidence.

Verndiesel over on Ramforums had 700K miles on his 2014 Ram 1500 ecodiesel w/ 8hp70 before the transmission gave up on a solenoid failure. At that kind of miles, rather than open up the high mileage one, he had a used one swapped in. He changed ATF w/ maxlife every 100K miles.

Verndiesel over on Ramforums had 700K miles on his 2014 Ram 1500 ecodiesel w/ 8hp70 before the transmission gave up on a solenoid failure. At that kind of miles, rather than open up the high mileage one, he had a used one swapped in. He changed ATF w/ maxlife every 100K miles.
Yes, I saw that. I really hope that it’s true. Thanks

Reactions: JTK

Well, that’s one big “been there - done that” !

Just looked on RamForum and a member said 60k changes … and pulled an RV …

Last edited:
It also seems like Maxlife does not have as much Calcium as LG8

I checked Valvoline's website and MaxLife Synthetic is also Honda ATF Type 3.1 compatible. I used it for a drain and fill in a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with a ZF 9-speed pushbutton / paddle transmission. It also lists ZF's 8 and 9 speeds in the PI Sheet.

+1 on the filter

There have been issues on BMW forums from filters that don't fit quite right. Definitely get an OEM filter/pan assembly.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Lifeguard fluid or the MaxLife. Some have even used the Liqui-Moly fluid with good results, but it doesn't seem as popular as the other two.

Back