Bad Experiences with Maxlife ATF?

Has anyone had a bad experience using Maxlife ATF in an application that it was recommended for use in?

I am trying to learn more about ATF and how it works, and why some fluids are different.

Used it several times in place of Dex VI back when it was under $20/gallon …
No issues …

It's still under $18/gallon at my local Walmart, I use it in everything but the Tiguan that has an AT and it's worked fine for hundreds of thousands of miles so far.
What do you use in the Tiguan?

Yes. There are numerous threads about this already and you’ll get the same responses as those threads. I’ve used it in a 4T45e and 4L60e and it caused soft shifts, TCC engagement became very slow.

AZ's Rewards program (5 $20 sales got you $20) and a good sale enabled me to build a 14 gallon stash.
I used it to replace ATF in Saabs, Chevys, Toyotas and Volvos without problem.
It's all gone now so I buy as needed.
Only used Honda fluid in neighbor's and brother's Hondas per Cripes' caveat.
Only used MerconV in my and my friends' Fords.

Yes, just before refiling with Maxlife Syn, I burned my hand on the exhaust pipe while unscrewing the trans filler plug on my Charger.
I dropped my drain plug into a hot pan full of Maxlife. Fishing it out melted my nitrile glove...

That said, in my Hyundai that specifies SP-IV, it actually shifts smoother on Maxlife. Adding Lubegard to Maxlife made my transmission very angry and it wouldn't cooperate until it was fully flushed with pure Maxlife. I think Valvoline has done a great job on their MV ATF, and I don't think any harm will come from using it wherever recommended.

That said, in my Hyundai that specifies SP-IV, it actually shifts smoother on Maxlife. Adding Lubegard to Maxlife made my transmission very angry and it wouldn't cooperate until it was fully flushed with pure Maxlife. I think Valvoline has done a great job on their MV ATF, and I don't think any harm will come from using it wherever recommended.
Just to play devil’s advocate here, this is a prime example of why we shouldn’t go playing around with non approved fluids and additives. You stated Maxlife makes your tranny shift smoother than the OE fluid. What Maxlife is actually doing is creating slightly more slip on the friction surfaces, giving the impression that the shifts are smoother.

Then you added lubegard and the shifts became “angry”. Well what happened was your tranny computer realized that there was too much slip going on and it is firming up the shifts to save the clutches from burning up.

I blamed it for a slipping tranny in a E46.
Than found that the POS beck/arnley filter fell out of the trans after 3 years due to a seal gone bad.
Super tech Dex v1 in it now

Just to play devil’s advocate here, this is a prime example of why we shouldn’t go playing around with non approved fluids and additives. You stated Maxlife makes your tranny shift smoother than the OE fluid. What Maxlife is actually doing is creating slightly more slip on the friction surfaces, giving the impression that the shifts are smoother.

Then you added lubegard and the shifts became “angry”. Well what happened was your tranny computer realized that there was too much slip going on and it is firming up the shifts to save the clutches from burning up.
Actually the main smoothness I'm referring to is a harsh TC lockup disengage. It would sometimes let go with a thud when decelerating in 4th gear from 30 mph. It quit doing that with the Maxlife. I'm not sure what the LG did but it appeared to cause issues with partial TC lockup, almost like it couldn't figure out how to get the right amount of grip, especially in gears 3-4.

Doesn't this take the ZF fluid?
Technically yes, but there are many other fluids you can use. Mobil MV atf, Valvoline Maxlife, Redline D6, Amsoil Fuel Efficient cient ATF, Pentosin ATF 8, LiquiMoly Top Tec 1800.

Back