Bad Experiences with Maxlife ATF?

I tried it in a couple of old Subaru 4EAT units and it shifts very soft, it isn't good. Amsoil ATF is a much crisper shift and last a lot longer. I still use Amsoil in some units and TES-295 in dex III spec applications, it is a huge improvement over Maxlife.

The Soobs I used it in were a 2007 Outback wagon and a 2010 Forester. Both 4EAT, but possibly newer than what you tried it in? No difference in shifting/performance. I know at least the 2010 is still in use by my niece.

Unless it comes from a reputable firm I wouldn't trust some random people on the net.
Trust me I know that. My sources are very reliable. In fact a few well respected members, one of which I speak with often echoes my feelings. I trust his recommendations.

Trust me I know that. My sources are very reliable. In fact a few well respected members, one of which I speak with often echoes my feelings. I trust his recommendations.
So just who are your sources? If you're confident in them lets know who they are. (y) (y)

So just who are your sources? If you're confident in them lets know who they are. (y) (y)
@Trav, over here, and an A-tech Jeep buddy of mine for starters. There's more, including a transmission expert, but there's absolutely no point in me listing them. If you think it's good in your application, go for it. As I mentioned I thought it was good for my 2000 Buick Century and rolled the dice, thanks go to @Trav for that too. But in my Jeeps I'll pass. ;)

@Trav, over here, and an A-tech Jeep buddy of mine for starters. There's more, including a transmission expert, but there's absolutely no point in me listing them. If you think it's good in your application, go for it. As I mentioned I thought it was good for my 2000 Buick Century and rolled the dice, thanks go to @Trav for that too. But in my Jeeps I'll pass. ;)
Hi.
May i ask which transmission your Jeep has.

Hi.
May i ask which transmission your Jeep has.
NAG1. For the cost of ATF+4, for a good shopper there are zero reasons I can see to use anything else, even for those on a tight budget. I recently bought Castrol ATF+4 for under $30 for 6 quarts.

I've used it in probably at least 10 vehicles, no issues in any of them. Full disclosure I always add lubegard to any ATF that I use. Either way, no shifting issues with the max life👍

NAG1. For the cost of ATF+4, for a good shopper there are zero reasons I can see to use anything else, even for those on a tight budget. I recently bought Castrol ATF+4 for under $30 for 6 quarts.
Hi.
I have a very similar transmission in my diesel jeep. I started a thread a few years ago about whether to use the Mercedes fluid or ATF+4.

I like the Transmission. Only thing i could fault is the need for a higher fifth gear. I just got five litres of the Ravenol ATF+4 fluid.

https://www.ravenol-direct.uk/ravenol-atf4-transmission-fluid.html

I did look at the many multi use fluids but got a little confused. How can an ATF+4 be mentioned in the same list as GM vi and MB 236.14. Both lower viscosity than the ATF4. https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/180

Last edited:
Hi.
I have a very similar transmission in my diesel jeep. I started a thread a few years ago about whether to use the Mercedes fluid or ATF+4.

I like the Transmission. Only thing i could fault is the need for a higher fifth gear. I just got five litres of the Ravenol ATF+4 fluid.

I did look at the many multi use fluids but got a little confused. How can an ATF+4 be mentioned in the same list as GM vi and MB 236.14. Both lower viscosity than the ATF4. https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/180
That entered my mind as well over the years when these discussions came up. How can one fluid be good for so many applications, foreign and domestic? I came to the conclusion that it might be bad for some, OK for some, good for others, even great for a few. Aside from testimonials here I didn't have much else to go by. So I did my homework, came to my own conclusions and stuck with the ATF+4. For me when I see a good deal on ATF +4 I grab it, and those deals weren't that much more than Maxlife.

Hi.

ATF+4 was specced for the LX vehicles before local production of the NAG1 was established in indiana. These transmissions were off the shelf german produced units probably filled when the cars were assembled.

ATF+4 is now the official fluid for transmissions that originally specced Dexron II, i.e any of the torqueflites. Remember that MB 236.12 is stated to be Dexron III generation by its only manufactuer, Fuchs.

The Crossfire (imported M112/W5A580 powertrain) suggests synthetic Dexron III when genuine 236.12 ATF is not available.

it appears the heavy friction modification of ATF+4 will not cause any ill effects in a transmission designed around dexron. early mopar electronic transmissions like ultradrive family require it, as evidenced by their 3 previous failed attempts at making a fluid for them.

Last edited:
Hi.
Mercedes merged with Chrysler in 1995. ATF+4 was introduced in 1998. I wonder just how similar the Benz fluid was to the +4.

I have used Maxlife for years in Hyundai, Kia, and Mitsubishi medium box trucks. Excellent results always. It improved the factory shifting on my 07 SantaFe years back.

I’ll second an above post where it seems to shift softer that amsoil and the original toyota WS where I’ve tried it in toyota applications, though my friend, the owner, can’t tell a difference in it and is happy with it.

I’ve posted a few times here, it damaged a 97 CRV we had it, making shifts worse in 3 months and dangerous in 4; a flush back to honda fluid brought the trans about halfway back to normal but still sketchy. It had a hard time shifting out of 2nd, like stuck VB. This forum loves It, but I won’t dare put it in a honda after that. Honda fluid or amsoil, done.

The Soobs I used it in were a 2007 Outback wagon and a 2010 Forester. Both 4EAT, but possibly newer than what you tried it in? No difference in shifting/performance. I know at least the 2010 is still in use by my niece.
From what I’ve read, Subaru did a running change to ATF-HP sometime in 2004/2005. FWIW, MaxLife worked fine in a 2003 Fozzie 4EAT I used it on.

Reactions: JTK
Ive used Maxlife atf in a 2012 Acura mdx and a 2018 Nissan Titan 5.6 gas with mixed results. First impressions were great with improved shift feel in both vehicles but the shift quality seemed to deteriorate a lot within 15,000 miles. now both vehicles are shifting very firm/harsh. I may try to add lubegard red in both vehicles and see how much that may help before giving up on maxlife atf.

Back