Bad Experiences with Maxlife ATF?

I have no negatives to report other than like mentioned above, the sink from the stuff. I've used it in several GMs, FCA, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru and Toyota applications. Maybe more.. These were my own vehicles or family member's.
I tried it in a couple of old Subaru 4EAT units and it shifts very soft, it isn't good. Amsoil ATF is a much crisper shift and last a lot longer. I still use Amsoil in some units and TES-295 in dex III spec applications, it is a huge improvement over Maxlife.

Reactions: JTK
I tried it in a couple of old Subaru 4EAT units and it shifts very soft, it isn't good. Amsoil ATF is a much crisper shift and last a lot longer. I still use Amsoil in some units and TES-295 in dex III spec applications, it is a huge improvement over Maxlife.
@Trav

Would you recommend TES-295 in a 1994 Honda Accord automatic ?
Which brand would you go with for TES-295?

Hmm, interesting. I assumed the fluids would be very similar, but I guess that might not be the case. I'm still trying to decide what to use in ZF 8 speed. :unsure: :D

ML worked great in my old Infiniti. OTOH, I tried it in my Pilot and it caused weird shift flares. Went back to factory DW-1 and the shifts were smooth again. I was surprised because ML seems to be well-regarded amongst Honda owners.

ML worked great in my old Infiniti. OTOH, I tried it in my Pilot and it caused weird shift flares. Went back to factory DW-1 and the shifts were smooth again. I was surprised because ML seems to be well-regarded amongst Honda owners.
This is contrary to what I saw in my research. Many have used it in Pilots with good results.

@Trav

Would you recommend TES-295 in a 1994 Honda Accord automatic ?
Which brand would you go with for TES-295?
If it is a dex III unit I absolutely would. TranSynd, BP Autran Syn 295, Mobil Delvac 1 ATF are all good as I am sure many others are that meet the spec. Amsoil ATF and Redline D4 are also very good dex III clones not the ATFL or D6 those are dex VI clones like Maxlife. Notice neither tries to pass their ATFL as a dex III compatible fluid like Maxlife does.

That is my complaint about Maxlife, their desire to pass this stuff off as a one fits all product. It works but is it really the optimal fluid for many of the applications listed that are not OE spec for a LV fluid, I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
If it is a dex III unit I absolutely would. TranSynd, BP Autran Syn 295, Mobil Delvac 1 ATF are all good as I am sure many others are that meet the spec. Amsoil ATF and Redline D4 are also very good dex III clones not the ATFL or D6 those are dex VI clones like Maxlife. Notice neither tries to pass their ATFL as a dex III compatible fluid like Maxlife does.

That is my complaint about Maxlife, their desire to pass this stuff off as a one fits all product. It works but is it really the optimal fluid for many of the applications listed that are not Oe spec for a LV fluid, I highly doubt it.

Attachments

• 2648EA4F-4F57-4F68-89CF-8D924A50BBF5.jpg
    2648EA4F-4F57-4F68-89CF-8D924A50BBF5.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 69
Now look at the ones for ATFL, they do mention GM themselves back spec'd dex VI for dex III in GM transmissions but GM are not the only ones using dex III spec fluids.

Use AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF in transmissions and other applications that require any of the follow-ing specifications:Aisin-Warner AW-1; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426; Chrysler MOPAR* 68157995AA, SP-IV, 68218925AB; DSIH 6p805; Ford MERCON* LV, SP, ULV; GM DEXRON* HP, DEXRON* VI, ULV; Honda/Acura DW-1*, Type 3.0; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR, NWS-9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Mazda ATF FZ; Mercedes Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA, ATF-MA1; Nissan Matic-S, Matic-W; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volvo 31256774; VW/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162; ZF S671 090 255.

When GM bought out Allison they back spec'd Dex VI fluid for the Allison transmissions along with the other GM dex III units and the dealers were repairing more than a few failed Allison transmission due to seal failures.
The point is just because GM said it would work okay it didn't.
Call me cautious but if it not a GM built transmission I will not assume using a LV fluid in a dex III unit is going to be optimal.

Now look at the ones for ATFL, they do mention GM themselves back spec'd dex VI for dex III in GM transmissions but GM are not the only ones using dex III spec fluids.

Use AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF in transmissions and other applications that require any of the follow-ing specifications:Aisin-Warner AW-1; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426; Chrysler MOPAR* 68157995AA, SP-IV, 68218925AB; DSIH 6p805; Ford MERCON* LV, SP, ULV; GM DEXRON* HP, DEXRON* VI, ULV; Honda/Acura DW-1*, Type 3.0; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR, NWS-9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Mazda ATF FZ; Mercedes Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA, ATF-MA1; Nissan Matic-S, Matic-W; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volvo 31256774; VW/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162; ZF S671 090 255.

When GM bought out Allison they back spec'd Dex VI fluid for the Allison transmissions along with the other GM dex III units and the dealers were repairing more than a few failed Allison transmission due to seal failures.
The point is just because GM said it would work okay it didn't.
Call me cautious but if it not a GM built transmission I will not assume using a LV fluid in a dex III unit is going to be optimal.
How can the Amsoil be used in Mercon ULV?

It is a lower viscosity fluid, how they determine their recommendations is better answered by them. These universal fluids have few if any actual approvals.
My opion is unless the unit is a dex/mercon or dex VI/mercon LV fluid I would use spec approved products.

At one point on the 94 b4k i had i did a fluid exchange with maxlife and the transmission did not seem to like it. However later on I dropped the pan, retorqued the valve body bolts to spec and did a band adjustment. With that done i figured id give it another shot and it worked great so it may just not hide some problems a thicker fluid would.

It worked well in my 2000 Century, but I won't chance using it in my two ATF+4 spec'd Jeeps. I can get ATF+4 cheap enough not to even think for a split second to try it in one of them. ;)
I’ve heard of people using it in their Jeeps. I’ve also heard “DexIII”and ATF+4 are very close in formulation. That said, no thanks.

The correct fluid is cheap.

We did have a member here that claims to have blown up the transmission in his Astro Van. Every time somebody would post about Maxlife, he’d get a notification and immediately share his story.

Im sure the fact that it was from like the 80’s and on its 18th owner with likely a worn out 4L60E had nothing to do with it.

I’ve used ML in GM products issue free, but don’t plan on using it in anything else. The Volvo and Audi have their own fluids readily available.

I also have some Valvoline MVI and some Maxlife I plan on running in my log splitter. That’s about it.

Back