Your ultimate sleeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would your ultimate sleeper car be?
The rules are: Your engine has to be from the same manufacturer as the car. Anything else can come from another manufacturer..

I would have an old Crown Vic LTD (think: Men in Black) with a 03/04 Cobra motor (w/ Kenne Bell s/c), Ford 9 inch, and a Viper spec 6 speed Tremec. Stock suspension and Walker Quietflows.. lol.

Your turn!

A Toyota Echo full tune w/exhaust, intake, manifold, twin turbo running a 150 shot of NOS. After my car catches on fire and explodes at the end of the track and I win the other guys pink slip, I could rest easy knowing I could walk away with a ride :).

My sleeper car seriously would be a 70s/80s Toyota Trueno/Corolla, car is bolt on happy, a decent tune, rigid suspension. I'd leave it as a rotting rust bucket of a mess and goto town.

my current car actually. my grand prix. i dont think my stock appearance grand prix looks fast, but, with ALOT of engine/transmission work, she could be doing 12's with ease

or my other current car, with the biggest v8 that would fit in it. i suppose that wouldnt be much of a sleeper tho with the sound that would be coming from it

Last edited:
I was considering getting an 04 SRT-4(turbo neon), I would've removed the silly wing and it would've been kind of fun to sell off all the rest of the SRT-4 specific body work and have it look like a normal Neon.
I guess I could've put a normalish muffler on it and then an exhaust cut out for the surprise...

One the guys in my motorsports club had an old rusty impreza with the japanese spec STi drivetrain under it. I didn't even notice until he got on it hard during an autocross run and suddenly it was doing a sustained 4 wheel drift... Not NA subaru behavior!

How about a Lincoln Mark VIII? Already has the 32V V8 motor. Mine, the drivetrain is awesome. Eventually I hope to get rid of the air suspension and the weight that goes with it.

My sleeper is my 1987 Buick Grand National. Bought new and still own. It's old enough now that most kids don't know what it is...thinking its just an old grandma car...until I hit the boost!

Several, actually.

A few I drydreamed of:
A Prius with a JDM Blitz blower from the Toyota bB Wagon/ist(known as the Scion xB/xA here) bolted to a reworked 1NZ block. MPGs and HP. Swap the brakes with a BBK from Stoptech, and few parts from the TRD Japan and TOMS catalogs.

A P71/P72/P74 Crown Vic with a 5.4L Cobra mod motor, heck even a blower on a stock 4.6 with PI heads would also work.

Older Honda Accord with an H22A and the Accord V6 6-speed manual tranny insteaded for the stock F22/F23 engine. Keep it looking like a commuter. Or a CR-V with a "hybrid" engine setup - head off the Acura TSX, keep the stock CR-V block. Both controlled by Hondata ECUs.

Older Lexus LS400/SC400 with a frankensteined motor - 4.7L Tundra/Sequoia block, Lexus VVT-i heads. Modified A650E tranny, Supra TT limited-slip diff.

And a few days ago - a older VW bus with a VR6 pushing it... :)

OK, you might pass a Mk VIII or a GN off as a "sleeper" for the brain-dead general populace, but real gearheads *know* what those are at a glance.

I'd have to go with the turbo first-gen Caravan or Voyager. You just don't get much more "sleeper" than a 12-second soccer-mobile. Especially now that they're getting old enough that you normally only see really, really ratty ones running around.

Second choice would be some 80's 4-door (think Gran Fury, the more faded the paint the better) with a Hughes or Muscle Motors stroker big-block. Or an Inertia Motorsports modified 6.1 Hemi instead- its an easier fit than a big-block.

Already done it.
1983 Celica Supra with a 7MGTE 3.0 turbo engine swap. 3" mandrel bent exhaust from the turbo with a high flow cat and a nice quiet muffler. Had to put a Detroit Tru-Trac in the diff to help with traction.

They never suspected a thing until it was too late.
Had a LOT of fun with that car...

I like the 80's volvo wagons with smallblock Ford V8s. Hey, Ford owned Volvo for a while.
wink.gif

1983 Chevrolet El Camino, ditch the 305, and either put in an LS3 or a ZZ-4

Take my 2004 Mercury Marauder and drop in that new DOHC 5.0 that is going into the 2011 Ford Mustang.

I'll play but mine isn't really a red light racer...more of a dream...yes a fifteen year old's dream...I was that age once...now that I have doubled the years...this vision still haunts meh.....

KE100 with a KX500 motor...with a big blingy FMF pipe...yes it must be this way! I know that's not true sleeper but I needed bling then and I need bling now to pull off this fiasco if only for the dopamine release everytime I see it in the driveway...

The KE100 was the only two-stroke street legal motorcycle during my teenage years. Well besides mopeds at least. Imagine multiplying horsepower times 3.5. It was honking madness deranged firepower I tell you...this dream...it still haunts me.

I was naive and never thought the cops would figure it out unless they rode moto themselves. Now I'm not so naive and I still think I could pull it off.

That would kill me...It would just kill meh...and dun lemme ever get started about a Ford Ranger with a 5.0.

Thanks OP...this topic helped me digress back to my teenage years full of blood and lust for a honking oil burning beast that filled my math class daydreams with everything a young man could ever want...

Well actually there was never any blood. My 79 KLE125 or whatever it was caught on fire and burnt to the ground after about 100 meters of riding. I jumped off and threw sand on it to quench the flames. Prolly a divine intervention or at least my mother thought so. Yup...FAIL...I'd better stop typing now..

Last edited:
Buick Park Avenue Ultra. With lots of blower/head/transmission mods so it doesn't blow up after a few fast runs. Think Grandpa-mobile except it goes fast. Very fast.

Saw one yesterday at Denny's. 1963 Chevrolet Impala wagon with a 409 2X4bbl and a four speed. I almost snagged a real sleeper about four years ago and I'm still kicking my self for passing it up. 1963 Pontiac Catalina wagon factory original 421ci Super Duty 3 X 2bbl with a four speed. A year or two earlier I saw a 1966 427 four speed Impala wagon up for sale. I can't remember who the original owner was but it was a well known drag racer that used it in the sixties to tow his car to the track.

I think if you could stuff a 2010 Cadillac CTS-V 565HP V8 in a Chevrolet 2002 six cylinder bodied Camaro it would be a sweet sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back