2015 Nissan Juke SL (AWD), Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Plus 5w-30, 2,867 miles

2015 NISSAN JUKE SL (AWD) 1.6L DIG-T (Direct Injection Gasoline Turbo)

After my first UOA, I debated whether to stay with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Plus and go out of weight for winter at 5w-30 (because it was on sale) or stay in weight 0w-20 and try Pennzoil Platinum. I opted to try the PUPP 5w-30. I know for the winter we want a lighter oil, if I had to do it again I would have bit the bullet on the extra $20 for 0w-20 (insert "we've been using 5w-30 for 40 years in winters and never blew up"). I've put PUPP 0w-20 back in for summer 2020, the plan is to run PUPP 0w-20 for winter 2020 as well. I am still adding MMO to the fuel tank (TT Gas only at 91 no Ethanol) so I can compare with last year's UOA.

Summer 2021 is open for any and all suggestions, I will not be adding any MMO, fuel cleaners or additives of any type. I will try to cut down on the idling, 30 second startups for summer and warm enough to clear frost off windshields for winter.

Please let me know what you guys think of the UOA and any tips. Thanks BITOG'ers!

1st UOA - Summer, 04/06/2019 - 10/05/2019, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 SN+ - https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5275281/1

This is my 2nd UOA ** OIL SAMPLE SENT ** Winter, 10/05/2019 - 03/14/2020 (161 days - 5 months, 9 days), Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 SN+

- Total mileage on vehicle at time of service: 39,309 miles
- Total miles on oil change interval: 2,867 miles (80% City, 20% Highway, in All Wheel Drive - Vectoring mode 90% of time)
- Total mileage on vehicle at end of interval: 42,176

Also installed new Fram Ultra (XG6607) oil filter + 3" Super Magnet attached to outside of oil filter + new Fram Ultra (XGA6900) air filter

- 01/31/2020, car was in a hit and run, front grill and front of hood was dented. Inspected on 02/06/20 and they didn't think any internal damage was done. Brought back to be fixed on 02/17/2020 (drove about 46 miles since initial inspection), they opened the hood and found the Radiator and A/C Condenser smashed/damaged and needed to be replaced and refilled with fluids. I asked if anything was leaking due to the damage before they fixed it and they said 'NO'

- Only TOP TIER GAS from Kwik Trip: 91 Octane (no Ethanol) w/ MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) at every fill up

- Average idling about 30 min a day (before work, before going home, 5-7 times a week). My last UOA showed a 1.8% Fuel Dilution, most likely due to idling or perhaps I didn't drive the vehicle long enough to get to operating temperature before getting the oil sample. This time, I drove for 30 minutes, 20 of those at 4400 RPM @ 70 MPH for 20 minutes. It took the dealership about 30 minutes before they could get vehicle in to service.

UPDATE FROM AMANDA C at BLACKSTONE:
"Skip,
So I had that TBN rerun twice. I'm not going to charge you for it... and I don't feel comfortable adding it to the report because I'm just not convinced it's right.

The first run came back at 1.0. That was yesterday mid-day. I had it rerun again today, and it came back at 2.9. I still think that's unusually low. But all the check standards for the day are coming back okay, everything else we're running today is fine, so I'm not sure why it's reading low like that.... unless it's diluted by fuel or something, but I kind of doubt it. Sorry. We don't have enough to run it a third time, unfortunately, or I'd do that."

Wisconsin winters are brutal, so I gathered up OFFICIAL information and gave it to Blackstone as well:

- AVERAGE MONTHLY Temperature (weather.gov)
October 2019 = 45.9 F = .10 inches of snow
November 2019 = 29.8 F (4 days in single digits) = 11.2 inches of snow
December 2019 = 21.7 F (5 days in NEGATIVE TEMPS = -6 -11 -1 -9 -13. 6 days in single digits) = 19.20 inches of snow
January 2020 = 20.7 F (4 days in NEGATIVE TEMPS = -4 -10 -10 -4. 10 days in single digits) = 13.10 inches of snow
February 2020 = 19.0 F (6 days in NEGATIVE TEMPS = -8 -12 -16 -5 -11 -5. 11 days in single digits) = 6.60 inches of snow

MARCH AVG THRU 3/10/20 2019 = 34.9 F = .80 inches of snow

Average Temperature oil was exposed to = 28.67 F

[Linked Image]

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 8
For Blackstone to show 2% fuel means there's likely a significant amount in it. The tripling of iron is also concerning, but with the low mileage and high dilution it's probably a safe bet that you had a LOT of idling involved. Not sure why you're adding MMO? Minty smell? Get some good highway runs on it to get the oil hot and evaporate that fuel. Good luck!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
For Blackstone to show 2% fuel means there's likely a significant amount in it. The tripling of iron is also concerning, but with the low mileage and high dilution it's probably a safe bet that you had a LOT of idling involved. Not sure why you're adding MMO? Minty smell? Get some good highway runs on it to get the oil hot and evaporate that fuel. Good luck!

Just adding MMO to keep the Fuel Injectors clean, or try to anyway. I've been trying to get in two GOOD 30-60 min highway runs of at least 4K RPM at 65 MPH in the beginning and end of the month (per the VW Carbon Deposit whatever article to help decrease it).

Skip, does this engine seem to blacken the engine oil quickly? The direct injected VQ35DD in our 2019 Pathfinder does very quickly. I've been doing 3000mi OCIs on it and the oil is black in well under 1K.

Originally Posted by JTK
Skip, does this engine seem to blacken the engine oil quickly? The direct injected VQ35DD in our 2019 Pathfinder does very quickly. I've been doing 3000mi OCIs on it and the oil is black in well under 1K.

I have not noticed any darkening quicker than usual nor have I had to add any makeup oil. Some people on here will say just because it's black or gets black sooner, doesn't necessarily mean it's 'bad'.

Should have done the opposite, stick with 0 20 in winter and 5 30 or 5 20 in summer. If you are worried about fuel and or idol a lot, just add another change halfway through the winter. I don't idol as much as you and regardless still always do a mid January change. Price you pay blackstone just change it and you know that you don't have fuel diluted fuel.

Utra Platinum does not like your engine. Or is that the other-way-around?
Anyways, don't idle more than a few minutes. Stop using MMO every tankful. Use the same amount every three tankfuls. It's a better lubricator than cleaner in your tank.
Try Valvoline Advanced next, or Mobil-1 EP. Put a hold on SOPUS products. No Quaker State or Rotella Gas & Truck.

Back