Your thoughts on new Tacoma Crew Cabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for a new vehicle for the past year.

I always thought the Taco was too small but I sat in one this past weekend and was surprised how roomy it seemed. I'm going to try to borrow one for the day from a dealer to get a good test drive.

I'm looking at the Taco Crew Cab 2wd with either the SR5 or TRD package.

Your thoughts or experiences with them please.

It seems Toyota is having some trouble with their latest Tacoma, with engine and transmission problems being the most glaring. It's very 'un-Toyota', and hopefully isn't an indicator of slipping quality. My sister has a 2001 extended cab Pre-Runner which just cleared 105,000 miles without a single trip to the dealer for anything other than oil changes and her 90K timing belt swap. After hearing some bad word-of-mouth and reading about some bad press the Tacoma has garnered lately, she's decided to keep her bulletproof 2001 instead of buying herself some unwanted problems in a 2006. Neither of us are terribly fond of the Chevy Colorado style fender flares, so she's keeping Old Faitful, and I really cant' fault her for her decision.

Here's some reading for you:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_tacoma.html

Last Car and Driver had one for a long test and had problems with it here and there. Alot of Brake problems were the biggest ones.

This current month issue would have more info.

Bill

C&D's long term update was a little baffling to me...The Tacoma can't be the first vehicle they've driven where they perceived a 'mushy' brake pedal. And, why does that necessarily indicate a mechanical problem? I'm pretty sure the master cylinder design is at least somewhat different than the average passenger car, yet pedal feel was automatically viewed as a malfunction. They probably were all jumping out of Porsches and Vettes and straight into the Tacoma, which would naturally elicit a strange driving experience in anyone. Agreed, the stuck pedal is a defect, which was addressed. But a mushy pedal...that's kinda subjective. As for their other complaint, I can definitely sympathize with the Kenworth-like turning radius.

I have Tacoma pre-runner extended cub 2005 with 20k on it. Very comfortable and reliable vehicle I must say, no issues as of today. There always complains no matter if it manufactory fault or owner stupidity. One of the owners from the link above even complain about high rpm when engine cold..lol, I guess most latest engines do the same. No matter how bad new Tacoma appears under user reviews, it’s still best mid size truck on the market today and I drove em all prior final decision.

Toyota's come a long way since their original pickup offering...or have they? The Honda Accord and Toyota pickup are testaments to the virtues of keeping things light and simple. Back when they were both small and simple vehicles, they seemed to be bulletproof, garnering both makers with reputations for quality and ease of maintenace. I know the public demands ever-heavier and ever-more technology laiden vehicles as time goes on, but I guess it's reached a point where so much technology (and the weight) is going into vehicles that even quality-conscious companies like Toyota can't manage it. What I'm expecting to see is a return to smallness, or at least the addition of it to the current lines. For years, the Sentra was Nissan's smallest car, but now that's it's nearly reached the size of the original Maxima, what did they do? Created a whole new car to fill the 'small' spot...the Versa. Ditto for the Honda Fit. Trucks could be headed down the same road...and I kinda hope they are. I have wanted one of these since they were introduced. Tough as nails and simple to work on.
1982Toyota.jpg

i have had toyota trucks and tacomas of all generations. I currently have a 2006 double cab with the TRD and Tow package. The truck has a towing capacity of 6500 pounds and although it gave up some offroad prowess for it's new girth it is a good vehicle. Get the automatic Transmission. I think the 5 speed auto performs flawless and the 1grfe is my new favorite toyota engine. I would say more but I just got in from a red eye flight and i am to beat to use a shift key...also the trd has much better seats.

I agree with you 100%. I owned a 90 Nissan PU, and a 99 Toyota Tacoma. The new Tacoma is just way too big for me. I don't believe everyone needs a midsize or fullsize truck. I still think there's a market for small trucks. The only choices we have these days is the dated Ranger and slightly larger Colorado. One is a twenty year old design, and the other has a weak inline five. That leves us with zero small trucks to choose from.

I agree completely with CBDFrontier06 as well. Most of the "small" pickup offering is gone. I didn't want it to go away. The new Tacoma is bigger, heavier, and has fuel economy to match. Tacoma crew cab? Why not just go with a full size?

But if things keep going the way they're going, we may indeed see a three size truck market, small, mid, and full.

Quote:

It seems Toyota is having some trouble with their latest Tacoma, with engine and transmission problems being the most glaring. It's very 'un-Toyota', and hopefully isn't an indicator of slipping quality. My sister has a 2001 extended cab Pre-Runner which just cleared 105,000 miles without a single trip to the dealer for anything other than oil changes and her 90K timing belt swap. After hearing some bad word-of-mouth and reading about some bad press the Tacoma has garnered lately, she's decided to keep her bulletproof 2001 instead of buying herself some unwanted problems in a 2006. Neither of us are terribly fond of the Chevy Colorado style fender flares, so she's keeping Old Faitful, and I really cant' fault her for her decision.

Here's some reading for you:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_tacoma.html

No offense, but the vast majority of the reviews in the article you linked to relate to previous Tacoma models, which have entirely different engines and transmissions than the current model. In fact, most of them are from the same generation as your sister's truck. I wouldn't judge any vehicle based on the quality (or lack thereof) of those particular reviews.

I am biased because I own a 4Runner with the 1GR-FE engine and five speed transmission, and it has been absolutely flawless. The 4.0L V6 is a workhorse engine specifically designed for light trucks, and it is being used around the globe in 4Runners, Prados, LC120s, Tundras, FJ Cruisers, Hilux trucks, and Tacomas. A destroked 3.5L version is being used in Camrys, RAV4s, Avalons, Lexus IS350s and ES350s, soon-to-be redesigned Siennas, etc.

I do not believe Toyota would put so much emphasis on an engine family if it were very troublesome. It is a modern design with impressive engineering and quality components. In addition, I frequent many 4Runner/Tacoma boards, and the only somewhat "consistent" complaint I have seen regarding the 1GR-FE is that it is a bit noisier than what some people expect from a Toyota engine. I have seen no indication of any significant engine failures of any kind, except one bad story on Yotatech.

The 5 speed transmission used in the 4Runner is the same transmission used in the Land Cruiser and Lexus GX 470 and LX 470. I am not sure whether it is the same transmission used in the Tacoma, but if it is, it would be one of the most proven, bulletproof transmissions available anywhere.

I say drive a Tacoma, and if it is what you like, buy it with confidence knowing that it will be at least as reliable, if not moreso, than any other truck in its class.

Last edited:
Same trannies. My tacoma and my wifes 4 runner(both '06) have the exact same transmission. Most the Nay sayers are not owners. As for the bigger size. It has pro's and cons but tthe new size has not limited me from getting on any offroad trails that my 02 taco could do. Most of the talk I hear is good ole resistance to change.

You people don’t know what you are talking about. New V6 Tacoma outperforms most modelsV6 and I4’s prior year 05 in terms of fuel economy, new I4 2.7l engine confirmed to be very fuel efficient up to ~ 30mpg and in some cases even more.

I have an 02 Tacoma Double-Cab and at 65,000 it has been flawless. I understand you are interested in a new one and they are quite larger now. I bought this vehicle first for its' reliability (that worked) and second for its' economy (not so sure this is working as I get 21-22 MPG and a full size Chevy w/ 6 cyl is close to that). Now that the truck size is blurred between the Tacoma and the Tundra I have to say that I would lean toward the Tundra to get that 4.7L which I think history will prove out to be one of the best engines ever? You can't go wrong either way, I just think you will get more for your money with the Tundra. I think the smaller trucks made a whole lot more sense when the full-sizes got 12-14 MPG and the minis got 25-30MPG and with the prices for a MID vs. a FULL sized being quite close the bigger truck can do more in its' life. Good luck with your choice!

Checkout www.ttora.com its a offroading site geared to toyotas. Some of the members on that site are complaining on rearend issues some offroad related and some not and also engine mount areas cracking.

Quote:

I have an 02 Tacoma Double-Cab and at 65,000 it has been flawless. I understand you are interested in a new one and they are quite larger now. I bought this vehicle first for its' reliability (that worked) and second for its' economy (not so sure this is working as I get 21-22 MPG and a full size Chevy w/ 6 cyl is close to that). Now that the truck size is blurred between the Tacoma and the Tundra I have to say that I would lean toward the Tundra to get that 4.7L which I think history will prove out to be one of the best engines ever? You can't go wrong either way, I just think you will get more for your money with the Tundra. I think the smaller trucks made a whole lot more sense when the full-sizes got 12-14 MPG and the minis got 25-30MPG and with the prices for a MID vs. a FULL sized being quite close the bigger truck can do more in its' life. Good luck with your choice!

A fullsize Chevy 4.3 gets low 20s for fuel mileage. My opinion is there is no reason to get a compact truck if you're going to pay just as much and get the same fuel mileage as a fullsize. You can get a Chevy W/T, 5 speed, A/C for around 14k. FWIW the boss got the brilliant idea to buy 3 Tundras instead of sticking with Chevy and Ford and they are bitchin about them already. They get worse gas mileage and don't hold up to heavy industrial use like the old Fords and Chevys. The tailgate is buckled on one already and the seat is sagging with under 15K miles. Not as much interior room either, bed isn't as wide, bedsides aren't as tall. If you're going to use a truck as a truck, buy Ford or Chevy. You'll get a bigger pickup that holds up better and better fuel mileage to boot. Parts are more available and cheaper, as well as buying from a US company.
patriot.gif
cheers.gif

To respond to some posts.....

I'm having issues with Ford and GM right now. Both companies are in financial trouble. They are shutting down plants, laying off union workers, and deeply discounting all their products. If Ford has a F-150 with a MSRP of $30k, and they sell them for $20k, then it's really a $20k truck with an artificially inflated MSRP.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan and the Koreans are investing billions in the US economy to build more US plants, update current US plants, and hire more US workers.

Take a Toyota employee in the San Antonio Tundra plant and compare him/her to an employee in a GM plant where many of their co-workers have been laid off or being offered packages to leave which ammount to about 2 years of salary. The Toyota worker has a bright future ahead of them. The GM worker doesnt. Who do you think will wake up and build a better truck Monday morning.

The comment about buying American is not realistic in today's global economy. Both Ford and GM have plants in Mexico and Canada. Is it patriotic to support an American company who lays off workers and shuts down plants to save money instead of building better products and making better financial decisions? Ford and GM execs should be ashamed they have a history of introducing products to the market 5 years behind the Asians and Germans.

I'm a huge Chevy guy. But Toyota has a better resale value, their interiors hold up better, and they make a better quality product. I could do reaserch on the internet for a week and find problems with every make and model of truck. Every one has a weak point and a strong point. Untill the '07 Tundra comes out, Toyo and GM/Ford is an Apples an Oranges comparision.

I looked at the link that CBDfrontier posted. I'm not surprised but FORD and GM has problems also. There is no perfect car/truck. Which has made my desicion very difficult.

I'll post back when I get to test drive one.

Thank you for the posts. links and comments.

Anymore feedback is welcomed.

The Silverado I looked at was assembled in Fort Wayne, IN, with a 90% American parts content. The Ford was assembled in Norfolk, VA with a 90% parts content. Ford and GM are US companies, Toyota is from Japan. Profits for Toyota go to a foreign company. GM employs more Americans than all the foreign transplants COMBINED. http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/MI-plants.htm They also have more assembly plants in the US than all the others combined, that's taking the layoffs into account. Trucks are what US manufacturers do exceptionally well. I'm seeing from personal experience Toyota doesn't hold up as well in extremely hard use.

Quote:

Toyota, Honda, Nissan and the Koreans are investing billions in the US economy to build more US plants, update current US plants, and hire more US workers.

The comment about buying American is not realistic in today's global economy.

how does toyota's contribution to the us GNP compare with gm and ford over the last 20 years? i'm no economist, so if anyone can explain this to me, i'd be grateful

VIC, this truck would work well for you. If I was still in Corpus I would let you drive mine and check it out. The difference between the Taco and Tundra is about to grow again. The New Tundra is huge in comparison but the taco sits a little larger than a 4 runner. Go to Champion and see if you can spend some time with one of the new Tacos. Drive it on to the island and drive like your doing home showings and see how it does turning in the tight culdisacs.
Then turn around and go back down spid and test out the highway cruising. It is very stable and a very refined experince.

Good luck with your decfision. (btw, you may be able to finagle a good deal on existing 06 tundras due to the lot clearing activities for the 07's so keep an open mind for a good deal, you should also consider San antonio dealers becasue with multiple dealers in one area you can usually deal more up here than in corpus with one Toyota dealer. Seriosly I got a $23.5k '06 4 runner by working the dealers and looking for loss leaders.

Consumeraffairs is a horrable place to research anything! I gurantee you can look up any truck by any manufacture and all you find at consumeraffairs is problems!Every company makes some lemons that is just a fact but some companies make more then others. Even if the rate of lemons was only 1% that isstill a lot of unhappy customers!!! My mother has a 4X4 Tundra Extra Cab TRD etc........ It is a 2002 I belive and it has been problem free other then the front axle acuator going out and one 02 sensor. Toyota covered all the repairs under warranty. She has not had the brake issue,transmission issues that many on consumeraffairs claim to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back