Your opinion on this winter's oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Jeep 4.0 with 160,000 miles. This winter I thought I would try full synthetic oil. Went with pennzoil platinum 5w30 HM. Filter Fran XG2 and one bottle of lubegard bio/tech.

The performance was amazing. At -30 full oil presure within 4 seconds. Last year was a nightmare with Valvoline SB 5w30 with Motorcraft filter. No presure for 10 seconds.

I am going to give the credit first to the Fram synthetic filter dome bypass compared to motorcraft celluloid filter and thread end bypass. Second to the oil. Read pdf on the pennzoil platinum 5w30 HM. -45 to -51 cold pour. I am sure the Fram filter went into bypass at those temps glad it did. Engine super clean so no worries there. The lubegard bio/tech probably helped. Where would you place the credit or was this just the right combination.

cold weather pumping is what is great about syn oils. At least a one of the several benefits.

Normally, a conventional can keep up with synthetic as long as they are the same grade. At -30 F however, they just seem to fall behind and are more viscous. For those who like conventional, maybe run it for all except the 3 coldest months and use a synthetic for those.

I kept a sample of the recent spring change but haven't decided to have it tested. Even though it's synthetic 5w20, I'd predict maybe some extra wear metals and a bit of gasoline contamination from the 60 cold starts.(another 60 starts were with 60 F oil kept warm by the heated garage.)

Last edited:
oil viscosity at given temps 40C and 100C in centistokes are just that under 40C they get thicker conventional is the worse with more wax left after refining, group 3 synthetics as most are are cleaner and better, then theres real synthesised synthetics group with NO waxes to be removed they flow best in cold. an easy test is putting each in a freezer, no high tech equip necessary

Originally Posted by benjy
oil viscosity at given temps 40C and 100C in centistokes are just that under 40C they get thicker conventional is the worse with more wax left after refining, group 3 synthetics as most are are cleaner and better, then theres real synthesised synthetics group with NO waxes to be removed they flow best in cold. an easy test is putting each in a freezer, no high tech equip necessary

Good advice +1
M1 0w30 would have been my pick or add a qt of Redline 0w30 to your current fill to drop the freeze point as -76 is redlines.

Originally Posted by littleant
Originally Posted by JC1
What type of oil is Valvoline SB? Is that a conventional oil?

Pennzoil platinum was doing its job.

Synthetic blend

Thanks

+1 on the full synthetic 0W-30 For your winter OCI. If you can use a block heater on that motor those cold morning starts will be much easier.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by benjy

Good advice +1
M1 0w30 would have been my pick or add a qt of Redline 0w30 to your current fill to drop the freeze point as -76 is redlines.

I think so too. +1

2002 Jeep 4.0 with 160,000 miles. This winter I thought I would try full synthetic oil. Went with pennzoil platinum 5w30 HM. Filter Fran XG2 and one bottle of lubegard bio/tech.

The performance was amazing. At -30 full oil presure within 4 seconds. Last year was a nightmare with Valvoline SB 5w30 with Motorcraft filter. No presure for 10 seconds.

I am going to give the credit first to the Fram synthetic filter dome bypass compared to motorcraft celluloid filter and thread end bypass. Second to the oil. Read pdf on the pennzoil platinum 5w30 HM. -45 to -51 cold pour. I am sure the Fram filter went into bypass at those temps glad it did. Engine super clean so no worries there. The lubegard bio/tech probably helped. Where would you place the credit or was this just the right combination.

Assuming you've own this 4.0L since new. With 160K I'd say you've done well up to this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARB1977

Assuming you've own this 4.0L since new. With 160K I'd say you've done well up to this point.
Purchased 5 years ago with 90,000 miles. Winter vehicle. Well maintained to the point of Obsessive-Compulsive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back