Your High Milage Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 S-10 Blazer (beast) with 182,000 miles. Depending on whats on sale, but for winter, Synthetic 5w30 (Napa, Havoline, etc), for Summer/spring..Valvoline high mileage or Havoline 5w40 sythetic thanks to big lots.

1997 1/2 Regal GS (supercharged w/ mods a real sleeper). 95,000 miles. M1 or Castro Syntec 10w30 for summer, 5w30 for winter.

2002 Pontiac Montana AWD 27,000 miles (family truckster). Either M1 or Castro Syntec 5w30.

All vehicles usually get their oil changed between 4-5k miles. None of the vehicles burn or use oil, even the Beast.
cheers.gif

Car: 1993 Toyota Corolla 1.8L

Transmission: Auto

Miles: 188K (When I sold it)

Oil: Dino Havoline 10W30

filter: Fram (all the way man)

Interval: 3K-5K (one time I went 8K)

Driving style: Highway/County Roads (fast and hard)

Oil Useage: Maybe 1/2 Qt between changes

Mechanical Problems Replaced brushes in starter. (That was the only repair I ever had to do.)

I sold this car to someone in our small town, 2 years ago. They drove it from Minnesota to Washington and back. They have had zero problems with the car. I wish I would have kept it. My wife was expressing her concerns about the Corolla not being reliable anymore. Some men have to beg to get a new vehicle.

I was trying really hard in the debate to keep it. I happened to see it the other day. I said to my wife, "see it is still running and looking good".

Jeff

Just hit 250K miles; 1986 SAAB Turbo Convert(rare) nothing but regular 7500 miles intervals with Valvoline dino oil. Original engine, turbo(oil cooled) and auto trans, all without internal repairs. It has gone through a couple of tops and I replaced all the suspension bushing but it runs like a top, or actually topless :>) I drove it all summer with no problems.

Also - 1987 Buick Grand National; about 120K miles with Jiffy Lube Castrol GTX 10W-30 and Fram oil fiters since I bought it new in 1987. I drove this car HARD the first ten years of it's life and it now sits in my storage garage unless I need a "torque-fix" and have the urge to burn up a set of tires at the track. Runs and looks BEAUTIFUL!

[ November 14, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:
Just hit 250K miles; 1986 SAAB Turbo Convert(rare) nothing but regular 7500 miles intervals with Valvoline dino oil. Original engine, turbo(oil cooled) and auto trans, all without internal repairs. It has gone through a couple of tops and I replaced all the suspension bushing but it runs like a top, or actually topless :>) I drove it all summer with no problems.

Don't you know that Valvoline dino oil sucks and that you cannot run dino, especially in a turbo for 7500 miles!!! You will destroy your engine doing this.
grin.gif

When I see a post like this, I have to wonder if we are being over conservative with what we consider "acceptable wear numbers" on UOA's. I would love to see a UOA of the oil on the Saab after 7500 miles. I bet it would be highly oxidized, with high lead and iron. I would guess that if we saw the numbers on an engine with 50,000 miles we would say the motor would never make 100,000. Just out of curiostiy have you had to replace the turbo? Will you consider doing a UOA in the interest of the Group?

Cary

'95 Toyota Corolla DX, 1.8L 4cyl
190,400 miles
SuperTech 10W30 for the last 70,000 miles When I bought the car
SuperTech oil filter
change oil & filter every 3000-4000 miles
Moderate driver, primarily highway miles

I go through about 1 quart every 3000 miles. Very reliable, never had any engine problems. I plan on putting 300,000 miles on it before I sell it. I average approx. 39 mpg!

Nissan/Maxima GXE/3.0,SOHC- car manufacture/model/engine size

135000- mile

Pennzoil 5&10w30 summer/winter- brand of oil and grade

Nissan/Purolator/Wix- oil filter

60-90 days - oil change interval

2 miles twice a day x5, weekends try to take out for a 50 mile warmup drive- driving style

Nissan OEM - Air Filter

Techron once a year, Lucas OCL once a month, A little STP warter remover in the winter - Fuel additives

Shell Gasoline,(NO Methanol} Regular 87 octane - Gasoline used

[ November 15, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: 94MaxGXE ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back