Your feelings about reduced visibility on new cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something you can get used in time, or 'Never! I'll stick with my older car with the fantastic greenhouse!'?

Seems, the 2013 Accord is the only new design sedan with an acceptable greenhouse. I've sat in a new Camry, and even it has reduced visibility compared to older versions. The new Mazda6 is one car that I was looking forward to but it too looks like visibility has been compromised.

Visibility is BIG deal to me, so this is one trend that I absolutely HATE.

Welcome to rollover and side protection. New regs and different tests are making the vehicle makers do things like making the window openings smaller.

I'm with you, I HATE it.

Bill

Art%2520Chrisman%27s%2520%2730%2520chopped%2520coupe.jpg

Yeah, the old coupes have better visibility, like a greenhouse I tell ya!

Seriously, I like more glass, but I think the Camry is geared towards people who are used to minivan-like storage but now trying for car-like fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
has to do with fuel economy. New cars are low to the ground to be more aero dynamic.

Nope. They have more aerodynamic features like air dams, belly pans, tire spats, squared off rear ends, etc., though. Put a older (90s or even 2000s) Accord or Civic next to a new one and see which one is taller.

Windows are poor insulation. They let in heat when it is hot outside, and they can also let in some ultra-violet and infer-red light heat energy. And the light energy they block can be turned into heat energy and some of that can get in. When you run your airconditioner if the vehicle has a lot of glass the AC has to work harder (run longer) and AC loads the engine down thereby causing a decrease in gas millage.

So along with reducing windows to allow for thicker metal sections to protect in a roll over, smaller windows improve the efficiency of the AC, thereby giving better MPGs on hot days.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Windows are poor insulation. They let in heat when it is hot outside, and they can also let in some ultra-violet and infer-red light heat energy. And the light energy they block can be turned into heat energy and some of that can get in. When you run your airconditioner if the vehicle has a lot of glass the AC has to work harder (run longer) and AC loads the engine down thereby causing a decrease in gas millage.

So along with reducing windows to allow for thicker metal sections to protect in a roll over, smaller windows improve the efficiency of the AC, thereby giving better MPGs on hot days.

When it is 110 degrees in the shade I'm still worried about the crazies and the Drunks more than I am about the heat. I can drink more water. Airbags aren't fun.

High belt lines and even higher trunks make seeing out the back of most new car designs a PITA at best .
I do like the visability on my Ford Five Hundred , it's excellent .

We have an increased rate of kids being run over on driveways - reversing down and running over a toddler. They are trying to push rear view video monitors in reverse to try and help. To me the big issue is poor visibility to the rear.

Originally Posted By: Silk
We have an increased rate of kids being run over on driveways - reversing down and running over a toddler. They are trying to push rear view video monitors in reverse to try and help. To me the big issue is poor visibility to the rear.

Back in the 90s, the Pedestrian Safey Council were doing a number on panelvans with their poor rearward visibility....XJS HE didn't seem to meet thier objections 'though.

within years, a standard Commondore was nearly comparable, trying to get a big boot and sweeping lines.

Higher beltlines mean better protection from side impacts.Imagine a 1 ton pickup and where its bumper would contact a door,raise the beltline and you cover more territory.However that leaves a smaller window opening.Now unless they raise the roofline further (some have) to some ridiculous amount (reminding one of old telephone booth Model Ts) they are stuck with limited glass area.A side benefit,is during a rollover,when the side glass blows out,you are less likely to be ejected.Overall though,I think the small openings hamper vision and cause more fender benders.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
has to do with fuel economy. New cars are low to the ground to be more aero dynamic.

Nope. They have more aerodynamic features like air dams, belly pans, tire spats, squared off rear ends, etc., though. Put a older (90s or even 2000s) Accord or Civic next to a new one and see which one is taller.

Yeah I find it kind of amusing when I park my Civic next to a modern "sedan" and it looks like it is sitting next to an SUV.

Hmm, so 20mm of empty space is required between the hood and the top of the motor? I'm okay with that anyway, it'll keep the paint from blistering from the heat.

Maybe that's another reason for dumb acoustical foam backed engine covers, padding against head injuries!

I have been running around in service vans for so many years with massive blind spots and mirror usage at a premium, driving any car is a treat for me visibility wise..

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
I have been running around in service vans for so many years with massive blind spots and mirror usage at a premium, driving any car is a treat for me visibility wise..

hahaha, me too! All I drive these days is a 3500 Savana loaded to the gills!

my 08 WK had really thick A-pillars. 3 times... I'd be waiting to turn left... and someone approaching the right would be completely obscured by the right side pillar. especially if I was still coming to a stop and they were "tracking" behind that pillar accordingly. Three times I'd start to go, and THEN see them poking out from that pillar, and mash the brakes. I learn to stop then bob my head back and forth to clear the pillar. It took some adaptation on my part, and I could not make go/no-go decisions as quickly. But I liked the feeling of having more metal there, though I'm really not sure if there was....

Originally Posted By: meep
my 08 WK had really thick A-pillars. 3 times... I'd be waiting to turn left... and someone approaching the right would be completely obscured by the right side pillar. especially if I was still coming to a stop and they were "tracking" behind that pillar accordingly. Three times I'd start to go, and THEN see them poking out from that pillar, and mash the brakes. I learn to stop then bob my head back and forth to clear the pillar. It took some adaptation on my part, and I could not make go/no-go decisions as quickly. But I liked the feeling of having more metal there, though I'm really not sure if there was....

I experience the exact same thing with my Scion Xb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back