Your favorite winter/snow/ice tire?

Presently handling a situation where someone I know has a car with inferior tires for the snow and ice. Looking for at least two better ones.

My decision on what to get will be largely dictated by what's at the used tire place but this thread is exactly what it says... very general, non specific.

Passenger car and trucks, mainly, what is your favorite snow and ice tire? And why? Brand loyalty? Performance?

Go!

Bridgestone Blizzack WS90 would be at the top of my list. Plus right now most places have them in stock. Price is attractive also. Conti Viking12 and General Artic would be attractive.

Last edited:
I have blizzak WS90's on my Ecosport. They've performed well. But I only bought them since i got a deal on FB marketplace. My go to snow tire is the Continental Vikingcontact 7. Super impressed with them.

Bridgestone Blizzack WS90 would be at the top of my list. Plus right now most places have them in stock. Price is attractive also. Conti Viking12 and General Artic would be attractive.
you put those backwards its the arctic 12 and viking 7

but the OP is looking for 2 used tires in an unknown size.. therefore anything we say has a 98% chance of being utterly worthless.

but the OP is looking for 2 used tires in an unknown size.. therefore anything we say has a 98% chance of being utterly worthless.
And if only buying 2 means probably planning to put them on the drive wheels. With majority of cars being FWD now that would set someone he knows up for unexpected snap oversteer spin out.

My kids are on 4x VikingContact 7's on their cars. Wife is on WinterContact Si, I have GY WinterCommand Ultra because the prorate warranty price was good.

Next set who knows. I have many Nokian, Gislaved, General Altimax Arctic, 1 set of Blizzak WS80, Mastercraft, Firestone Town&Country.

Don't forget All-Weather options that are better than worn crappy all season or summer performance.

General Altimax Arctic 12 has been great on Forte so far, first winter on the tires thou. They are very quiet and smooth on clear and dry pavement as well.

Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2 (currently under my Mondeo) friction tyres. They suit my needs perfectly. This is the 3rd winter with those and I haven't noticed any change in grip.

Dad's Toyota Auris now has Michelin X-Ice North 4 studded tyres. They feel quite nice and grip well.

I've had the blizzak WS80, 90 and DVM2, all vehicle pending. I've bought them all lightly used for less than half the cost of new. They have all been excellent and afraid to switch for the fear of disappointment.

I love the Continental VikingContacts. They are a terrific winter tire. I've tried Michelin X-Ice xi3, Bridgestone Blizzak WS70, General Altimax Artic, and Firestone WinterForce 2. The Contis were the most impressive of the bunch with stellar traction and good overall day to day characteristics. The low noise was also very appreciated.

My daughter has Sumitomo Ice Edge on her Chryco 200 and my son has Nexen Winguard Sport II's on the Optima.

Both were reasonably priced and have performed well.
I. Saw some Sumitomo Ice Edge on Amazon and they have some fine reviews.. only thing has me hesitant on pulling the trigger is the length of time they may take to come. They had good reviews.

Presently have a fast-talking local place, the kind packing a pistol in the desk drawer, says he has 4 for me for $100. I wonder. I really do.

I don't think I've ever had dedicated winter tires on a vehicle, but, the snow and ice event in Chicago has me possibly reconsidering. My All Seasons are doing OK; now, I know there is better.

Please keep the favorites coming..

That is not the case, Rand. This thread is not to shop tires. That will be whatever turns out to be available, whatever local tire shop has on hand in right size for reasonable price etc etc and does things the usual way of payment at time services are rendered, to avoid scam and theft and such... so that imperfect situation is ready handled.

This thread is

this thread is exactly what it says... very general, non specific.

Passenger car and trucks, mainly, what is your favorite snow and ice tire? And why? Brand loyalty? Performance?

Go!

Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT is my favorite, by far the best combination between snow/ice/dry.

The Blizzaks were too iffy in the wet and didn't display very good dry road characteristics despite their great deep snow performance.
The General Arctics were worse than the OEM Cooper tires on my focus.
Michelin Pilot Alpins were more designed around sport cars; felt more like an all-season with good snow performance. I haven't used them since the PA3 which were only available in 18"+ wheels.

I really want to try out the Conti VikingContacts or Michelin XIce next.

I. Saw some Sumitomo Ice Edge on Amazon and they have some fine reviews.. only thing has me hesitant on pulling the trigger is the length of time they may take to come. They had good reviews.

We've had them for a couple of seasons. I have tire machines at home, so the kids come over and I swap them out in late Fall and Spring.
I think we'll be able to get one more season out of them, so they've done pretty well.

My favorites were Green Diamond remolds. The big chunks of silicon carbide distributed throughout the tire tread made them a beast on ice and snow.

Sadly, they went out of business a number of years ago

attachment.php

Snow tires at a used tire place wlll be of dubious utility, and may be dangerous due to performance or false confidence...

Ive read that especially those Blizzak tires are GREAT when new, but the special compound doesnt go all the way down, so it loses performance quick.

Be sure that used snow tires are not done snow tires.
Snow wear bars are well above minimum required by law 2/32.

Any snow tire from 1st tier manufacturer if fresh enough and with enough tread depth will work.
Why would used tire place have them is different story.

I have 2 Xice Xi3 in 205/55R16 because two right ones were damaged when driving over pothole or metal cover (man hole it was not, it probably covers a valve or something, my now most dear to my wallet part of the local road). Maybe you are lucky and find somebody unlucky like me.

Krzys

Back