Your favorite winter/snow/ice tire?

I find I like General tires, well, in general.

All snows seem to get loud and wear funny on me, so none of them are really “favorites”, just a tool for the job at hand.

Where I live the roads are kept up to shape quickly, so I would probably avoid used snows and would rather buy new all seasons each fall. Very location specific! If I had to drive at o dark thirty no matter what then i’d always rock snows, but at the moment its more of a luxury having them.
The best option in ice and snow is simply to avoid driving.

If you have that option* then you are in a good position. It’s largely a proposition of sharing the roads with bad drivers in bad conditions, and even the best tires can’t always make up for the stupidity of others.

*My son, the skier, and my daughter, the skier and doctor, really can’t exercise that option. They have four snow tires mounted on separate wheels. Blizzaks for my daughter. Hakkapelliittas for my son.

I am taking my AWD V70R to Colorado later this year. It will get four good snow tires mounted on separate wheels for next winter.

To the OP my thoughts:

1. It is a very bad and dangerous idea to only install 2 winter tires. On a FWD you will spin out, and on a RWD you won't be able to steer. It may even be illegal to do this where you live, and no reputable tire shop will install them on your vehicle this way. Please don't do this.

2. I don't think used tires are a great idea because you don't know where they've been, and there may be invisible sidewall damage etc. even if the treads seem okay.

3. That being said, Michelin X-Ice Xi3 would be the better choice for a used tire because Michelin tire construction is superior, and they are designed to last longer, have slower treadwear, and to maintain decent winter performance all the way down to the wear bars (unlike some other manufacturers whose winter performance drops off a cliff when half worn (like Bridgestone).

4. In Canada Costo has good discounts on brand new Michelins every 2 months when they have their Michelin sale. Not sure if it's the same in American Costcos. The new model is the X-Ice Snow. (Costco also has the cheapest prices on new black steel winter rims.)

5. Brand new Michelins will last longer so the higher upfront cost would lead to savings down the line. But if you absolutely can't afford the Michelins right now, then brand new tires from a budget brand will be fine, just as long as it's not one of those crappy Chinese brands (LOL "Goodride"). Go with one of the budget brands of the major manufactures like Uniroyal (owned by Michelin), Firestone (owned by Bridgestone), Nordman (owned by Nokian), General (owned by Continental) etc...

6. You can save some money by downsizing your winter rims 1" from stock, but then you have to get a higher sidewall tire so that the overall diameter is still within 3% of stock (preferably within 1% and erring on the larger side), with a slightly narrower width. But you have to know what you're doing. 1010 Tires has a good calculator on their website to give you alternative tire size options. (If you don't know what you're doing just go with your stock size.)

7. A full set of good winter tires are worth every penny.

Last edited:
I also downvote the firestone winterforce due to loudness. They're also, IMO, a pretty outdated tire.
Oh, when I heard they were as loud as helicopters flying overhead.. that's a no. lol

Sumitomo Ice from Amazon, to a local installer, or, if the trip can be made.. anyone ever use these? Experience?
Screenshot_20220204-095835_Chrome.jpg

To the OP my thoughts:

1. It is a very bad and dangerous idea to only install 2 winter tires. On a FWD you will spin out, and on a RWD you won't be able to steer. It may even be illegal to do this where you live, and no reputable tire shop will install them on your vehicle this way. Please don't do this.

2. I don't think used tires are a great idea because you don't know where they've been, and there may be invisible sidewall damage etc. even if the treads seem okay.

3. That being said, Michelin X-Ice Xi3 would be the better choice for a used tire because Michelin tire construction is superior, and they are designed to last longer, have slower treadwear, and to maintain decent winter performance all the way down to the wear bars (unlike some other manufacturers whose winter performance drops off a cliff when half worn (like Bridgestone).

4. In Canada Costo has good discounts on brand new Michelins every 2 months when they have their Michelin sale. Not sure if it's the same in American Costcos. The new model is the X-Ice Snow. (Costco also has the cheapest prices on new black steel winter rims.)

5. Brand new Michelins will last longer so the higher upfront cost would lead to savings down the line. But if you absolutely can't afford the Michelins right now, then brand new tires from a budget brand will be fine, just as long as it's not one of those crappy Chinese brands (LOL "Goodride"). Go with one of the budget brands of the major manufactures like Uniroyal (owned by Michelin), Firestone (owned by Bridgestone), Nordman (owned by Nokian), General (owned by Continental) etc...

6. You can save some money by downsizing your winter rims 1" from stock, but then you have to get a higher sidewall tire so that the overall diameter is still within 3% of stock (preferably within 1% and erring on the larger side), with a slightly narrower width. But you have to know what you're doing. 1010 Tires has a good calculator on their website to give you alternative tire size options. (If you don't know what you're doing just go with your stock size.)

Hey, I appreciate all replies and responses. Having a busy morning just now saw!

1. Yeah the 2 tire idea is out.
RWD car, by the way.
Astro14's suggestion of "If you have the option, just don't drive" is the winning thing here, as the car is parked on a street in Chicago presently so. Discount Tire is in Oak Lawn... car soon to live in Oak Park. But for now, it is parked.

2. I did not revisit the sketchy "We don't have your tires but we will act like we do, let me put my Beretta Cheetah .25 back in the drawer" (I acted like I didn't see) place. Too much dishonesty. So that ship is sailing too.

3-7. Making me think of Michelins. Excellent write-up on how better than Bridgestone!

Many options here.

yeah like I said I've used a bunch of those Champiro Icepros and like them just fine. They aren't Blizzaks, but if the weather is bad enough to be Blizzak weather some yutz will jackknife and close the road you're trying to drive on anyway.
It ain't over 'til it's over. Now maybe 4 of these, if I can coordinate getting them to a shop ...

Screenshot_20220204-103837_Chrome.jpg

To the OP my thoughts:

To elaborate on this; it’s a good practice to install 4 snow tires. My father said putting 2 tires on a FWD vehicle may cause rear end to kick out and compromise control.

The best option in ice and snow is simply to avoid driving.

If you have that option* then you are in a good position. It’s largely a proposition of sharing the roads with bad drivers in bad conditions, and even the best tires can’t always make up for the stupidity of others.

*My son, the skier, and my daughter, the skier and doctor, really can’t exercise that option. They have four snow tires mounted on separate wheels. Blizzaks for my daughter. Hakkapelliittas for my son.

I am taking my AWD V70R to Colorado later this year. It will get four good snow tires mounted on separate wheels for next winter.
Because? Moving or work?

UNFORTUNATELY the car has some kind of parasitic drain issue on the battery (car is stone dead battery when time to start) which will postpone its use, and tire install...

Update: Still didn't select a set.. but the roads must have improved/ice melted or salted enough that the All Seasons are "suffeicient."

My friend parked the car during Chicago snowstorm/blizzard, apparently it is being used today.

Still may get a set, though it would be in March..

Never heard of an ice tire before.

Traditionally that's been studded tires, but there are so-called "studless ice" tires. A lot has to so with the rubber compound and the shape of the tread/sipes. I don't know exactly what all this means other than having a lot of edges probably means better contact (like I suppose a spider or insect can climb walls).

Competitive Ice Traction​

Absorptive compound improves grip in icy conditions and provides greater resistance to wear.​
********​
ABSORPTIVE TREAD COMPOUND
Cavity shape removes water film from the ice surface and delivers micro-edge effects.
MICRO DIAGONAL GROOVES
Add more edges for more grip on snow and ice.​

The three winter tires I've had on my cars:

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
Hankook iPike RSV
General Altimax Arctic 12

The Blizzaks were great on my FWD Fusion when I lived in the Ottawa area, which can be a fair bit colder than where I am now and ice was my primary concern. But that performance doesn't last and they wear quickly - not sure if the newer Blizzaks have changed in that aspect. Dumped them after 3 seasons.

I've had the Hankooks on my Fusion for probably five winters now. They perform well enough in snow, wear slowly, and I haven't really faced any super icy conditions. Good all around tire for the weather we get here in Toronto, but not sure they'd cut it in Ottawa.

The Generals are the newest ones I've had and I've really only had them on my Escape for a month. But the one large snowstorm we got in that time, they were unstoppable. Can't speak to longevity yet but so far I think it's a good choice and my favourite of the three. Pretty sure they are rebadged Gislaved Nordfrost 100.

I went from the Blizzak W965 studless to General Arctic LT with studs this year. For the most part, I'd rate them as very close. I think the studded tires do better on relatively "warm" ice with a layer of moisture on top. Conversely, I think the studless tires are better when the roads are simply wet.

Back