Young people and technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeepW: Have a young Penn State engineer on my staff. He is far more mature than his peer group when it comes to safe behavior and judgement. No doubt in my mind his father was like yours. As they say in Oz: "good on ya mate" ...

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I have a friend who was driving a New 2014 BMW M3 when he was involved in a small overlap head on collision, both cars were traveling around 55 mph down a back road. The M3 did what it does and performed miraculously in saving his life, although it took him 18 months to walk again.

The 20 year old girl, driving a older Pontiac that caught fire and burned her terribly, died 2 days later.

The cause was determined to be that the girl in the Pontiac drifted over the painted median of the 2 way street.
They found the cell phone in the windshield heater, the rescue team heard it as it was still receiving text messages.

The girl who died and her best friend were arguing over a boy, and the best friend was angry that she had stopped replying to her text messages in the middle of the argument.

I'd hate to sound like a jerk, but she did the world a favour by not killing anyone else. I'm glad the guy in the BMW survived.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bNGtPI3AQLo

Last edited:
When you attempt to legislate away the consequences of bad decisions this is the mentality that takes hold. That attempt has also largely eliminated the natural selection that weeds stupidity out of nearly every other species…

Lets talk about old people and technology.

Hit this keyboard combination, ALT-F4

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I have tremendous sympathy for our youth today who have very complex social and communication issues to wade through. But, that does not excuse them from proper use of that technology and to make the effort to learn good communication skills.

What the heck? The "complex social and communication issues" are the same now as in history. It is, unfortunately, the level of intelligence being brought to the table by young people today. Our youth are morons, unable to deal with anything more than a sentence at a time, and when they get angry, it's dealt with by violence, and hate.
What happened to debate club? Chess club? Social building exercises? Community work? None of these things happen anymore in our educational system.
Where are the parents that play Monopoly with their kids? Do a puzzle? I learned a long time ago that I lose a turn, miss an opportunity, when I go to jail in Monopoly. And it can just be the luck of the draw, where you get punished for something you didn't even do! I learned to be disappointed, not just mad. I did lots of puzzles. It taught long term thinking, analysis, seeing things not only for what they are, but how they fit together, and ultimately, there is only one right way to do something.
We do not teach basics anymore, and no one is held to task for their mistakes. I do not wonder why kids are violent, text while driving, fill the jail system nationwide, and sometimes, pay an ultimate price with their lives.

There are always apologists and excuse makers for any thread on this board. You could post about a murderer that kills, cooks, and eats children...and somebody will show "sympathy" and misplaced understanding.

Our world is becoming one with no absolutes...no right or wrong....no objectivism.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The smart phone in general has taken over people's lives.

It isn't limited to "young people."

This.

I see many older people (40s-50s) using their phone while driving too.

It is not an age specific problem.

The only way I text when moving is by voice commands. It's incredible what "OK, Google" does. If for someone reason it has trouble understanding me, that text doesn't get sent. I also use voice commands to make calls. This is all through my Bluetooth device.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

This.

The only way I text when moving is by voice commands. It's incredible what "OK, Google" does. If for someone reason it has trouble understanding me, that text doesn't get sent. I also use voice commands to make calls. This is all through my Bluetooth device.

I simply avoid my phone altogether. No text or phone call in my life or anyone else's is worth the risk.

Any messages can be reviewed once I've arrived at my destination.

Never missed anything important in almost 10 years of texting.

12.gif

This.

Yes...it is an age specific issue. The VAST majority of texting individuals and other phone usage while driving, IS statistically the younger generations. But yes, older folks do some of it. Just not the overwhelming preponderance of it.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

This.

I simply avoid my phone altogether. No text or phone call in my life or anyone else's is worth the risk.

Any messages can be reviewed once I've arrived at my destination.

Never missed anything important in almost 10 years of texting.

12.gif

This is what I don't understand...why do people think they MUST do anything with a cell phone WHILE THEY'RE DRIVING? NOTHING is THAT important that it can't wait until they arrive at their destination. NOTHING!

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Remove all waning labels and let the chips fall.

The problem with that is it sometimes falls upon the innocent.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Superflop
Remove all waning labels and let the chips fall.

The problem with that is it sometimes falls upon the innocent.

Yup.

I think though that the perception that the % of stupidity is rising may not be totally accurate. That perception may be partly based on an ignorant media anxious to spread stupidity. Yapoo "News" is one of the worst offenders.

I couldn't care less if someone replies OK in 2seconds while stopped at a red light
(see it all the time)-- This is where the no texting law would be enforced on people who
are really doing nothing wrong as long as they arent texting and not moving when the light is green.

Its the ones where they pass me going 80.. slow down to 55in front of me.. weave on and off the road.

I goto pass.. they look up and are going 75-80 again... I get behind and they slow down and cant keep it on the road.

Then I get a dirty look when I block them from getting in front of me again.

They are totally oblivious to what goes on around them for a good 75% of the time. These are the people I wouldnt mind getting hit with a no texting law.

Every generation has thought these things about every subsequent generation from the beginning of time. It's a wonder we manage to survive
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Every generation has thought these things about every subsequent generation from the beginning of time. It's a wonder we manage to survive
whistle.gif

Another apologist.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I couldn't care less if someone replies OK in 2seconds while stopped at a red light
(see it all the time)-- This is where the no texting law would be enforced on people who
are really doing nothing wrong as long as they arent texting and not moving when the light is green.

Its the ones where they pass me going 80.. slow down to 55in front of me.. weave on and off the road.

I goto pass.. they look up and are going 75-80 again... I get behind and they slow down and cant keep it on the road.

Then I get a dirty look when I block them from getting in front of me again.

They are totally oblivious to what goes on around them for a good 75% of the time. These are the people I wouldnt mind getting hit with a no texting law.

No...it's not fine to text at a red light. Do you know how many lights I've missed because the idiot twenty-something in front of me has head bent down, staring at a smart phone?? By the time these fools look up, the light is turning yellow.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I couldn't care less if someone replies OK in 2seconds while stopped at a red light (see it all the time)-- This is where the no texting law would be enforced on people who are really doing nothing wrong as long as they arent texting and not moving when the light is green.

No...it's not fine to text at a red light. Do you know how many lights I've missed because the idiot twenty-something in front of me has head bent down, staring at a smart phone?? By the time these fools look up, the light is turning yellow.

You didn't blip the horn to wake them up ?

When you are on a public road (not on the shoulder) in your vehicle it needs to be illegal period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back