you thoughts on Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 for '13 Honda 3.5 & '17 Chevy 5.3

At WalMart I can get Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 5-qt jugs for under $30.

I do oil changes on a '13 Honda Pilot 3.5, '17 Silverado 5.3 and a '17 Tahoe 5.3. I live in South Texas with high heat most of the year and non-freezing winters.

What are your thoughts on this oil for these 3 vehicles w/ Fram Ultra filters? I try to run down the OLM on my vehicles down to 5%-10% before doing an OC, but sometimes I will go past when it hits 0% due to my busy schedule.

Thank you

Get Mobil 1 EP HM 5W-30. For your climate, and give its composition, it's a better oil.
I concur as well with the Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 given your hot climate. I'd suggest upgrading the Fram Endurance line of filters if possible. This combination will give you extra peace of mind if going over the OLM.

I'm upset. Just went from HPL to Mobil1 ESP I had in garage. Soon as I started the 2018 Honda Accord it started singing with noise that was not present during last OCI. I thought it looked mighty thin when pouring in the oil. I am going to lose that one and go back to the HPL I have in garage this week, I cant stand an engine to sound like a typwriter. The HPL I had in it , one could actually not tell the motor was running it was so quiet. Plus I went from 0w20 HPL to 0w30 M1 but.....Then there are tons of folks who say their engines purr with M1 oil?

check out Quaker state ultimate 5w-30 or Havoline pro-ds (if you can find it),,or many good choices as Valvoline EP etc is a really fine oil.

I live in hot humid Miami Beach. Since new have been running 0w20 Mobil 1 EP in my 5.3 2016 Tahoe.. I also sit in a ton of gridlock plus a/c is constantly on. I will be more then happy to let everyone know when my Tahoe drops dead from 0w20. Have been running that oil for 171K miles.

The need for heavier oil for hot climates is garbage.

All that just IMHO. To each their own.

I live in hot humid Miami Beach. Since new have been running 0w20 Mobil 1 EP in my 5.3 2016 Tahoe.. I also sit in a ton of gridlock plus a/c is constantly on. I will be more then happy to let everyone know when my Tahoe drops dead from 0w20. Have been running that oil for 171K miles.

Who’s challenging 0w-20’s ability to protect? It’s well known for manufacturers to suggest higher grades of oil in very hot areas. 5.3 and 6.2 GM have been around for a long time and it ain’t the first time 5w-30 has been suggested. Given the OPs engine is DI and running long intervals it’s not a bad idea to run a 30 grade oil in his environment. I guess you just wanted the world to know about your achievements with 0w-20 🙄

No, it is not. However, if the engine has not been subjected to any significant stress, 0W-20 should suffice. That being said, much depends on the engine's design.
Exactly. It's about the film thickness, if oil temperature is tightly controlled then a lower HT/HS will suffice. But it never negates the physics of lower wear with a higher film thickness.

Humidity has no bearing on temps in an engine =, if anything, temps would be lower in contrast to dry arid areas. To humans Miami is hot, but to a a machine, especially at sea level, it is not.

1717445877534.jpg

Elevation also plays a factor in cooling due to air density, Elevation makes cooling systems work harder, which means more heat.

1717446267533.jpg

Las Vegas for example, is aprox 2030 ft above sea level. With almost 0% humidity and much higher average temps

You could run 0w30 for example of 5w30 for increased protection, and no adverse effects

I'm upset. Just went from HPL to Mobil1 ESP I had in garage. Soon as I started the 2018 Honda Accord it started singing with noise that was not present during last OCI. I thought it looked mighty thin when pouring in the oil. I am going to lose that one and go back to the HPL I have in garage this week, I cant stand an engine to sound like a typwriter. The HPL I had in it , one could actually not tell the motor was running it was so quiet. Plus I went from 0w20 HPL to 0w30 M1 but.....Then there are tons of folks who say their engines purr with M1 oil?
I run Mobil 1 0/40 in mine

another vote for 5w-30. swapped anything in the fleet requiring 0/5w-20 to 5w-30. actually bumped the accord and silverado to 5w-40. as other have stated, a 0w-30 would also be a solid recommendation.
+1👍

We used the last jug of 0W-20 I had in our Freightliner semi as power steering fluid.

Very few 0w20 I would run and all are boutique oil. Lately it's been M1 0w30 but the top off has been w redline 5w30. Already down to fifty mmi percent and got less than half a qt in top off. Currently Lil over 335,000 miles

The Honda I wouldn’t fret running 0W-20 on. After all, they invented it and it was their “global” fill for Japanese production in the aughts.

The Chevy, I’d run 5W-30. Especially if it’s an AFM motor, as there’s many reports of lifters and cams being wiped out on them. A Honda won’t complain either on 5W-30.

Back