You people worry way too much about oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: teambeechstreet
Originally Posted By: XS650
Just remember that when a good Samaritan makes a change to anyone's car (for his car, an oil change is a big deal), anything that ever goes wrong with that car will be the good Samaritan's fault.

hahaha I learned that the hard way! oil change and spark plug change on father in law's Rav4 ended up turning into me doing a free wheel bearing replacement.

back on topic. these subie motors go forever! I posted up about a couple that had a wrx with over 400K!

True story: after I pulled the 'check engine code', the car died 3 days later. The symptoms were all sorts of funny electrical issues--speedo stop working when he hit the brakes?? He texted me and asked if removing the check engine code could have had something to do with it.

I replaced the alternator and battery yesterday... Fortunately, even the homeless dude who helped push him out of the street told him his alternator was just dead. 174K on the factory alternator, BTW. That seems pretty impressive to me.

Here's an update on the car: LINK!

The guy was genuinely appreciative of the help, and I think I've done a good job of explaining that his car is ready to blow up, so it's not on me when it does.

I'm impressed with the engine. First off, it's still running at 175K despite the mistreatment. Also, I've never changed an alternator before in 5 minutes, without getting dirty! Holy smokes, that was awesome! The oil change took about the same time, and the PCV valve was also incredibly quick. This is a NA engine, so that makes things easier. Replacing the missing air filter took the longest, but even that wasn't bad. Are there any real 'gotchas' on this engine when it comes to maintenance? Do you have to pull then engine out to do the spark plugs or anything crazy? I'm new to the world of Subaru, but I would consider one of these based on what I've seen so far--and they still make a wagon with a manual transmission.

I don't "worry" at all, I just use some of the best stuff out there, even if it is "more than I need" (as some on here might say), and leave it at that.
wink.gif

If I were not a performance enthusiast (and ONLY interested in 'bargains' and pedestrian dino oils and such for a point A to point B appliance) I probably would not be on here at all!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I don't "worry" at all, I just use some of the best stuff out there, even if it is "more than I need" (as some on here might say), and leave it at that.

Yeah there are defiantly some hand wringers here on BITOG that think like that, AFAIC you can't have too much protection...

Ok what does AFAIC mean? Why dont we make these abbreviations longer like IDKWTHHISTA?? ( I don't know what the heck he is talking about or how about: SDYGHAAAT? ( So do you guys all agree about this?) Lets have a contest to see who can make the longest string of letters to keep everyone guessing huh? Fun right?

Sorry the last one had one too many letters... guess which one... ok, Lol is cute, IMO Iis ok, lets not push it... I can even live with IMHO... OK?

The OP's post reminds me of one of those stories about Grandpa who smoked three packs of unfiltered Luckie Strikes every day and lived to be 90. Yeah, those cases do exist but what do the probilities say?

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
The OP's post reminds me of one of those stories about Grandpa who smoked three packs of unfiltered Luckie Strikes every day and lived to be 90. Yeah, those cases do exist but what do the probilities say?

Yeah, life's not fair! Many years ago, after replacing my timing belt, water pump and pulleys in my V70R (early!), the hydraulic tensioner (which supposedly never breaks) let go 10K later. $$Ouch$$... Meanwhile, guys like this gas and go and the engine lasts forever. That's just how it goes sometimes.

But still, I do believe in probability, and I'll continue to maintain my cars. That said, I now look at Subaru in a different light.

Stories like that give me goosebumps. Especially when my own mother is the exact same way. Does over 1 year OCI's on bulk dino doing 10+k in here 01 Saturn SC-1. When I pull up the dip stick and theres not a drop on it nothing but a varnish finish I want to throw up.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Ok what does AFAIC mean?

As Far As I'm Concerned

AFAIK -- As Far As I Know... Both are used often on the net, not just on BITOG

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: johnachak
Ok what does AFAIC mean?

As Far As I'm Concerned

AFAIK -- As Far As I Know... Both are used often on the net, not just on BITOG

I thought this was a car enthusiast site, not a twitter emporium. Ill have to get my kids to translate I guess.

These are common forum abreviations wherever you go.
You don't have to post a question and wait for an answer when you run into an unfamiliar one, just open a tab to your homepage and type it in. Google for one usually pops right up with a translation and what it means...YMMV. I do it all the time.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Stories like that give me goosebumps. Especially when my own mother is the exact same way. Does over 1 year OCI's on bulk dino doing 10+k in here 01 Saturn SC-1. When I pull up the dip stick and theres not a drop on it nothing but a varnish finish I want to throw up.

If you weren't there to top it off-she would not be going the full year on an OC!!

Great story. I have a friend like this. Every time I ask when was the last time he change the oil he goes, "I don't know" but it has oil in there.

I really don't get people like this. Your car take you every where. So take care of it.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
Great story. I have a friend like this. Every time I ask when was the last time he change the oil he goes, "I don't know" but it has oil in there.

I really don't get people like this. Your car take you every where. So take care of it.

Yeah, my old Eurovan I would regularly run it between 8-10K on Yellow Bottle PZ, simply because I hated changing the oil in that thing. But this is one of those '5 minute oil change' cars. Literally. Super-accessible filter and drain plug.

As it turns out, I found the receipt for the last oil change in the glove box. The oil and filter were changed 57K miles ago. So there it is, a 57K OCI. He estimates adding about 1 qt every 3K...

...however, I don't think it's actually consuming oil, and I'm not sure it's even leaking any? When I changed the oil, the filter was barely on and covered in oil. So, I don't know how long it was loose or what's going on? But after now almost 500 miles on the fresh change, it hasn't consumed any. Also, the PS pump has a leak, which was throwing fluid around which I thought was oil. Cleaning the engine and underside has given me a lot better insight into what's going on.

There are a couple of other things I'm going to help him get up to speed on, then I think we'll call it good. I drove the car a bit, and I have to say it's still a good little runner. I've also learned more about the EJ22's than I ever thought I would. It's an impressive engine, and I have to say I like Subaru's overall design philosophy of having easily interchangeable stuff, and designing the engine for easy of service. I was put off by the boxer configuration, just because it was different, but color me impressed.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang

Yeah, my old Eurovan I would regularly run it between 8-10K on Yellow Bottle PZ, simply because I hated changing the oil in that thing. But this is one of those '5 minute oil change' cars. Literally. Super-accessible filter and drain plug.

As it turns out, I found the receipt for the last oil change in the glove box. The oil and filter were changed 57K miles ago. So there it is, a 57K OCI. He estimates adding about 1 qt every 3K...

...however, I don't think it's actually consuming oil, and I'm not sure it's even leaking any? When I changed the oil, the filter was barely on and covered in oil. So, I don't know how long it was loose or what's going on? But after now almost 500 miles on the fresh change, it hasn't consumed any. Also, the PS pump has a leak, which was throwing fluid around which I thought was oil. Cleaning the engine and underside has given me a lot better insight into what's going on.

There are a couple of other things I'm going to help him get up to speed on, then I think we'll call it good. I drove the car a bit, and I have to say it's still a good little runner. I've also learned more about the EJ22's than I ever thought I would. It's an impressive engine, and I have to say I like Subaru's overall design philosophy of having easily interchangeable stuff, and designing the engine for easy of service. I was put off by the boxer configuration, just because it was different, but color me impressed.

Funny 57k OCI adding 1qt in between. That's a good thing that happen to you. It's good to take in the experience diagnostic someone else mistake and filling us with the maintenance ! Unfortunately I will never touch my friends car after that.

I have a funny story too. The other day I drove his car, and I told him. Your power steering feels a little stiff it's hard to turn the wheel, and he says "It's those new tires". I told him, you know your power steering also needs oil he goes, Oh!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Subies seem to be pretty hard to kill.
Probably a good thing for many of the granola crunchers who seem to favor them.

Granola cruncher... never heard that one before, but I like it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back