You guys experiencing wild used car prices?

SammyChevelleTypeS3

$50 site donor 2023
I been on internet searching for days. I could not last. After selling my last Chevelle less than24 months ago I am searching for another toy. This time I am moving up from the classic 70s stuff to the later models with EFI and not a show car / classic. I am looking for a Pontiac semi sports car. Been looking hard at Trans Am and Firebird Formula but also the neat 2000 era GTOs. I find them and then I see what they want, then go to Kelly Blue book or Edmunds for the correct (sane) values. There is the rub, All of the nice daily drivers that need nothing done to them with average 50,000 to 80,000 are ALL over priced by DOUBLE what the experts say they are worth.
What is happening in your neck of the woods? Used cars are selling way over priced or what? I can see modern late models as that is what most people need. I am looking for a car I don't need. A car some would think too old for their daily work commutes etc. Want to buy it to make it a semi - daily driver. Just a nice 20 so year old car, a really mint car to have some fun with. One I can do that with and NOT have to do much if any work on. Mostly washing / waxing and cruising. Was all fired up to buy this one and then saw itwas overpriced by double the value. 2000 Pontiac Supercharged GTS model. https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/80792708
2000-pontiac-grand-prix-gtp-2dr-supercharged-coupe.jpg

Last edited:
1. Cool Pontiac. 2. Yes, prices are all over the place with new levels of crazy being unlocked every day.

Dealers have colluded subconsciously to raise used vehicle pricing to make more profit.
Look at it this way, a real estate agent listing a home at 6% commission makes more on a $350K home vs a $200K one.

And I will add that Pontiac is rare because few Supercharged Grand Prix's are registered. Most have entered the salvage yards years ago and have since been melted for scrap metal. Plus you won't find many in such that good of shape and with low miles.
That car is a modern classic.

You know I did not realize how few of those were made (supercharged). I also been looking at the Ford ThunderBirds from the 1990s that some were also (supercharged) that many of that body style went to NASCAR. This one.... a super rare Pontiac Can AM (one year only) known as a Le Mans Sport Coupe....is one of my all time favorites of the 70s cars. There are very few around and little too big and I am not looking to restore any more at my age. I want to put the key in and GO................. after checking the oil of course.:)
100-0010_IMG.JPG

Been looking hard at Trans Am and Firebird Formula but also the neat 2000 era GTOs. I find them and then I see what they want, then go to Kelly Blue book or Edmunds for the correct (sane) values. There is the rub, All of the nice daily drivers that need nothing done to them with average 50,000 to 80,000 are ALL over priced by DOUBLE what the experts say they are worth.

You're look for a LS-powered RWD vehicle. What did you expect?

Asking price for decent 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird, GTOs, Trailblazer SS, G8, and CTS-V have been double blue book since long before the explosion of used car prices. Prices for these cars have been stupid for so long that it's starting to creep into other project territory. Try to find a good price on a regular cab 2WD V8 GMT800. They're the "new" 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird. The sloppy cam + Chinese whirlybird types can't afford 4th Gens anymore and have moved on to trucks.

They're also the cars that never sell. It's a giant circle that feeds on itself. Most of these cars are second vehicles (that's why they're in decent shape), so the sellers aren't hard pressed to move them. That means stupid high prices for anything decent. Thing is, the people who want to buy these cars won't pay that much, so they just sit there, forever for sale. In the mean time, high prices on decent cars that never sell push people selling clapped out buckets to ask even more too, making junk expensive as well.

This feeds itself: The retiree selling a garage-queen 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS with 10,000 miles for $25,000 makes the guy selling a second-vehicle 2002 Trans Am with 80,000 think it's worth $17,000. That makes the guy selling his daily-driver 1998 Camaro Z28 with 150,000 miles and a junkyard 5.3L think it's worth $11,000.

You're look for a LS-powered RWD vehicle. What did you expect?

Asking price for decent 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird, GTOs, Trailblazer SS, G8, and CTS-V have been double blue book since long before the explosion of used car prices. Prices for these cars have been stupid for so long that it's starting to creep into other project territory. Try to find a good price on a regular cab 2WD V8 GMT800. They're the "new" 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird. The sloppy cam + Chinese whirlybird types can't afford 4th Gens anymore and have moved on to trucks.

They're also the cars that never sell. It's a giant circle that feeds on itself. Most of these cars are second vehicles (that's why they're in decent shape), so the sellers aren't hard pressed to move them. That means stupid high prices for anything decent. Thing is, the people who want to buy these cars won't pay that much, so they just sit there, forever for sale. In the mean time, high prices on decent cars that never sell push people selling clapped out buckets to ask even more too, making junk expensive as well.

This feeds itself: The retiree selling a garage-queen 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS with 10,000 miles for $25,000 makes the guy selling a second-vehicle 2002 Trans Am with 80,000 think it's worth $17,000. That makes the guy selling his daily-driver 1998 Camaro Z28 with 150,000 miles and a junkyard 5.3L think it's worth $11,000.
Yeah. Its been insane/unobtanium prices for a long time. Just take a look at ANYTHING from MOPAR and its in the museum quality price ranges. Its a shame because it makes the owners fearfull and unable to drive and enjoy. Oh, I will find something. It will be a Pontiac / Oldsmobile or mabye even I will slip back into a mid 80s Monte Carlo like we had stolen from us twice until the 2nd time it was left on a street stripped clean of darn near everything but the paint! Must have put it in a local "chop shop" garage and then just rolled in into the street on 4 bald tires. Talk about stomach churning when the Police called me to see it. Oh well. I will find one. Looking for something I never had before this time.

Last edited:
. Plus you won't find many in such that good of shape and with low miles.
That car is a modern classic.
You totally correct. I was not familiar about those. I knew of the supercharged Fords during those years but not the Pontiacs. Its a shame GM killed off the Pontiac line. BUT High Performance is going the way of the dinos.

Dealers have colluded subconsciously to raise used vehicle pricing to make more profit.
Look at it this way, a real estate agent listing a home at 6% commission makes more on a $350K home vs a $200K one.
Silliest statement of the day...and it's early! It's called supply and demand. Its really a very simple concept.

Wait for a better deal like the Dutch did. They bought Manhattan for a box full of trinkets.
View attachment 81615
Mo matter the study and attention to detail, even talking to a few friends who were really good car salesmen (never sold my brands) and getting their advice I always felt I overpaid for most cars and trucks. I did get better with the classic cars. :cautious:

Back