Yokohama YK580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who owns a set of these? What is your experience?

My mom's car is down to 4/32". With the current sale at DTD, I can get these for Chinese Tire pricing.

Normally I'm a bit of a tire elitist and stick with Michelin, but my mom won't be able to tell the difference anyway - so I may as well save the $350 over Michelins.

Based on the Consumer Report reviews, they appear to the decent mid-grade tires.

Thoughts?

I agree she probably won't know the difference in handling, but I got a set of Michelin Defender last year. Best wet weather traction/braking I've ever experienced. Stick like glue in the rain. Could be the difference in a collision if some dimbulb pulls out in front of her. Just a thought.........

Defender isn't actually noted for its wet performance, quite a few other surpass it.. usually tires that don't have 80000-100000 mile treadlife warranties.

The YK580 is an exceptional tire with above average handling and year round traction.. although winter traction is average.

The worst gripes about the yk580 so far are about treadlife
and usually on heavier vehicles such as minivans.

PS. I own a set of defenders too and like them but I'm pretty open about tires... I'd like to think I'm fairly unbiased.

Also I think the defenders received an unannounced tweak to improve their rolling resistance... vs the very first models.

here for example was the wet testing from tirerack..
wetdefender.JPG

keeping in mind the dry testing was much better...

I feel its just a compromise between a Long wearing tire with good rolling resistance.. to have mediocre/average wet rating.

Last edited:
YK580 is a DT-exclusive. It's been around for a long time, though I think it has received small updates over the years.

I am always nervous about retailer-exclusives, as that screams "built to a price" in my mind.

I disagree about these being exceptional tires - I consider them to be decent mid-range tires based on my personal experience.
IIRC, the treadwear warranty is about 60K? I have a bit over 45K miles on a set on the Accord and they appear to have a good amount of tread left.
They are a harder-compound tire and are becoming quite noisy, even to the point where I checked front CV/wheel bearings to verify that the noise was indeed coming from the tires.
Wet handling is average.
Overall they are a fair value for the cost, I think that you would be ok with them.

your locale go for it and a mom who likely care most tires are black and round.

Originally Posted By: Mud
I disagree about these being exceptional tires - I consider them to be decent mid-range tires based on my personal experience.
IIRC, the treadwear warranty is about 60K? I have a bit over 45K miles on a set on the Accord and they appear to have a good amount of tread left.
They are a harder-compound tire and are becoming quite noisy, even to the point where I checked front CV/wheel bearings to verify that the noise was indeed coming from the tires.
Wet handling is average.
Overall they are a fair value for the cost, I think that you would be ok with them.

I would agree partially actually.

I by exceptional I was considering performance, and price/performance

basically I would consider them an exceptional tire in the OP's stated application. (Mom tires) and some others.

as these yokohamas in 225/60r17 are 500$ -220 in rebates.

Would they be exceptional on a 500hp wrx sti.. not so much.

Would they be much better than many OEM tires.. well depending on your priorities I would say yes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back