yet more filters taken apart : Hastings, Baldwin and AcDelco PF44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been a Hastings filter man, but lately there has been some question to there quality. Some have said that their well made, and others have said that they are cheap. There has also been some discussion as to whether Baldwin and Hastings are the same thing, since they are made at the same plant. To give myself some peace of mind, I decided to cut open some filters and check it out myself.

For my study, I used the filter application for my new Chevy 1500HD 6.0. It uses the AcDelco PF44. This is the same filter found in many GM LS1 engines, trucks and SUV's.

-

-

AcDelco PF44 cost was $5.75 from the dealership. If you buy a case of 12 from partszoneonline you can get them for under $3.00 each.

-

I was totally shocked to find RUST inside the filter when I opened it up!!!

-

Baldwin B31 cost was $6.05 from a locally speed shop.
 -

Hastings Premium filter. Cost was $3.75 on sale (normally $5.00 at Farm supply store)
 -

Here are some random findings that I found:

1. The AC filter had a slightly wider gasket. It also had one fewer inlet holes, but the holes it had were much larger.

2. The AC filter had 60 pleats. The Hastings and Baldwin both had 44 pleats each. BUT the AC pleats were not as deep. I calculated that the AC had 125 square inches of filter material and the Baldwin and Hastings both had 137 square inches.

3. The Baldwin and Hastings looked to be identical in every way. I did not take a microscope to the filtering material, but they did look the same to me. From another filter study, I have been told that the regular Baldwins "microlite media" filters down to 6-8 microns and the Hastings filter down to 10-12 microns. The AC filtering material was very thick and hard almost like cardboard.

4. All three used the nitrile ADBV material.

5. The Hastings and Baldwin had the heavy duty spring under the filter, and the AC had that stupid clip thing.

6. I was surprised by the rust inside the AC filter. I am hoping that it was a fluke on their part.
I just bought it yesterday from the dealer.

What do I conclude from all of this? I think that the build quality of filters within a manufacturers line will very with application. Hastings may make an excellent P44 alternative, but that doesn't mean their PF59 version is good as other manufacturers version. I conclude this from the other studies that show the filtering area with the Hastings to be less than others, but equal in my study.

My next step is to e-mail Hastings and Baldwin to see if the filter material is the same or different in their standard filters. For now, I will continue to use the Hastings for $3.75. They appear to be well constructed in my application.

[ November 24, 2003, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Ross ]

Good data. You may be right about relative positions varying by application. I found a Hastings LF 143 only had 70% as much filter area as an AC PF 1177. Time may also be important. That data goes back several years. More recently I have found AC, ST, and Purolator all have less filter area than the same numbers of the same brand did before.

I have seen rust in filters too, but as long as it is on the dirty side, it shouldn't be a problem. It has always been well attached surface rust too. Since I seldom find the AC's, and the Hastings cost much more, I am sticking with ST.

For a common filter like a PF 44, you should be able to pick up one at Advance Auto etc. for less than $3.50 any day of the year. Not much support for paying more for another brand. For in depth filtration, the thicker media could be better.

You should take the rusty cut up AC back and tell them it is defective and you want a new one
grin.gif

I find it interesting the differences in endplate holes for different applications. My PH1218 equivalent Hastings and Baldwins have different patterns.

Here's a couple of pics of the baldwin b2hpg. 8 microns nominal 20 absolute. 4-7gpm flow.

Dan

-

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back