Yet another senior moment- stay young my friends, trashed my F350 tailgate

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
About six weeks ago, in preparation of moving from South Carolina to Washington I pulled my enclosed gooseneck trailer out of long term storage to inspect the trailer's condition, do some preventative maintenance, etc. The hook up of the trailer went flawless, only had to back up once, that never happens. Pulled the trailer out to a temporary site to park the trailer for a few days. Jacked the trailer up, disconnected the gooseneck, chocked the wheels, feeling good. Went back in the truck to pull away.

On pulling away, I hear a big crash....... I failed to drop the tailgate on the truck before pulling away. Smashed the inside of the tailgate to include the tailgate's internals. So the gate will no long open/ release/ drop. Drove 3,000 miles with the busted gate. I started looking for a replacement gate, but most were beat up and high priced. If one wants a 2017+ super duty gate in white, they are readily available and cheap. A 1999-2016 super duty tailgate, pricey and not so easy to find. I found a brand new tailgate in Florida on Ebay, $900 and local pickup only. I would have purchased but local pickup not so feasible.

Friday night I saw a 2002 F250 tailgate in Portland on Craigslist. $200. Tailgate was dirty but looked good overall. Tried to pay via paypal so I could lock in the purchase, guy seemed lost on what Paypal was. I blew off my Wife wanting to hang pictures on Saturday, instead I drove 150 miles down to Portland to grab the tailgate. On the way down. the Seller texted me on how much he had it listed on Craigslist for.

Paid the Seller his $200, I did not try to negotiate (I rarely negotiate, not something I enjoy), loaded the tailgate up in the back seat of my S-class, and returned home. Installed the tailgate this morning. Just a few minutes.

Worrying a bit about getting old..... forgetting things I should not be forgetting..

PXL_20220606_162146382.jpg

PXL_20220606_162136596.jpg
PXL_20220606_162508208.jpg
PXL_20220606_162131954.jpg
PXL_20220606_162734936.jpg

Last edited:
Glad that's all it is.

Surprised you cant find more. I see places that stock truck beds and tailgates because theyre pull offs for utility bodies and whatnot.

Glad that's all it is.

Surprised you cant find more. I see places that stock truck beds and tailgates because theyre pull offs for utility bodies and whatnot.
The 2017+ super duty tailgates are available everywhere. Especially in white, pulled for the reason you identified.

1999-2007 super dutys can use any 1999-2016 tail gate. If using a 2008-2016 tail gate on a 1999-2007, a new left bracket needs to be replaced, very easy, $20. So all the 2008-2016 white super duty tail gates pulled for fleet bodies years ago have dried up.

Sorry about your mishap. Good luck in your search. Backed into my garbage can the other day. Senior Moments, I hate them. Thankfully no damage.

It happens man it happens. I'm losing my awareness when I drive. Almost wrecked my sierras front end by nearly smashing it into the concrete grounded thick metal fence post reversing out of the twisty driveway last night. Slammed the brakes in the nick of time and went forward and tried again but carefully and didn't damage anything.

My senioritis is rubbing off on my part-time summer college student employee. He showed up this morning and I exclaimed "you're early". He said "no, it's 8 oclock". I said "don't you have class on Monday mornings?" Then, the deer in the headlight look! He jumped out of bed, intent to get some work done before the predicted rain and completely forgot about class.

I'm concerned that I will do the same thing with my workplace gooseneck trailer. Thanks for the reminder! Glad it worked out o.k. for you.

Reactions: GON

stay young my friends​

An admonition I have used myself. But those whose stay perpetually young never got the chance to get old. Now I advise to just stay well.

Last edited:
Look on the bright side! At least it wasn't one of those triple decker, electronically operated, push button, remote controlled, step bumpers! o_O

Nah, not getting old. Just too much stress at one time, trying to get a lot done at once. Moving from the east coast to the west coast, Navigator engine debacle, new job, new boss, replacing trailers and tires, moving boxes, trying to keep the spouse happy, and I 'm sure I not aware of some other stressors too. Heck, I would consider myself lucky if that's all that I screwed up doing all you were doing!

Reactions: GON
Back