Yet,ANOTHER reason to always change your own oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few quick lube places may be cheating customers in charging for no work had been done, or over charge for synthetic while using dino or HDEO, but it is very hard to believe that they would put 15 quarts of oil into a car engine. Even all of the workers at this quick lube work there the very first day when this happened, they do own some cars or SUV's and they should know the average sump capacity. They also have computer to enter customer info to get the oil filter, they should see the sump capacity right there.

I don't mean that I don't trust OP, be his friend may be confusing in sending the text message.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Maybe that is why they run away at full throtle?

Might be humor, but otherwise, I'm missing the point here. I suspect that performance might be "somewhat degraded" if the crankshaft were totally immersed in oil and the engine were filled to the cap.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Might be humor, but otherwise, I'm missing the point here. I suspect that performance might be "somewhat degraded" if the crankshaft were totally immersed in oil and the engine were filled to the cap.

I don't know about the internal capacity of a Toy V-6, but there could be some problems with foaming and excessive oil getting past the rings.

100 % Humor.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Few quick lube places may be cheating customers in charging for no work had been done, or over charge for synthetic while using dino or HDEO, but it is very hard to believe that they would put 15 quarts of oil into a car engine. Even all of the workers at this quick lube work there the very first day when this happened, they do own some cars or SUV's and they should know the average sump capacity. They also have computer to enter customer info to get the oil filter, they should see the sump capacity right there.

I don't mean that I don't trust OP, be his friend may be confusing in sending the text message.

It's the "Pentium Generation", if it does not have a micro-processor running at over a gigahertz they do not have a clue.

Last edited:
Sometimes these horror stories are so scary you have to find a laugh in them somewhere.

15 quarts could do some real serious damage, and just imagine the fight to get things right afterwards. Not to mention the time that the vehicle would be out of service.

It`s unfortunately a true story. Same thing happened a few years back to my best friend`s wife`s Ford Escape. Took it to a Ford stealership in Dallas (where her mom lives) to have the oil changed on their way back home (they lived in a teeny tiny town WAY out in bfe) and it started sputtering and smoking. He had it looked at the next day and they drained almost 9 quarts of excess oil out of it. It then ran perfectly fine. Like the title says.......Another reason to always change your own oil.

Last edited:
I witnessed the quick change guy start my car with no oil in it, at a place near my house. Eventually they did fill it. I haven't been back.

I still think my company truck a 2005 F150 with a 4.6 threw a rod, because they put power steering fluid in it instead of oil. We have to take our company trucks to get the oil changed, we cant do it ourselves. I take it to a garage now, I have no faith in Quick lubes. I have given coupons away for free oil changes, I change my own oil. I feel alot better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed

I don't know about the internal capacity of a Toy V-6, but there could be some problems with foaming and excessive oil getting past the rings.

That comment was my weak attempt at dry humor (oooo, bad pun I guess...). Anyway, somewhat seriously, in the 2GR 3.5L engine in the wife's Avalon, there's a vast area visible below the oil filler, which is above the passenger side of the engine (what would be the front if the engine were mounted North-South). With that, and the sump's 6.5 qt capacity, I have no doubt at all that you could pump 15 qts total into this engine if you had a psychotic mechanical deathwish.
cheers3.gif

Took the Jetta in once to walmart for an oil change. We lived in an apartment at the time. Added some gunk PS fluid to the PS system...not even close to VW recommendation and second they filled it to the top of the resevior. I came home and and removed most of the fluid.

This is only one of the reasons that I change my own oil:

I took my sisters 1972 Toyota Corrona MarkII to K Mart for a $4.44 lube, oil & filter. Watching the whole thing take place from the large window(as aquariuscsm's friend had done), I watched as the kid closed the hood on the car and began to start the engine when I banged on the glass with my fist yelling, "he didn't put any oil in the engine". The manager came over and opened the locked door between the sitting room and the garage, and again I said it loudly repeating myself. The manager yelled over to the kid, "shut off the car". They allowed me into the garage and the kid told the manager, "I did put oil in". I said, "check the dipstick". And the manager did, and it was dry.

They appologized, and the manager went over the car again himself checking to make sure there was a new oil filter on the engine and added the proper amount of oil. I told the manager that I watched the kid drain the oil, change the filter(I don't remember if this car had zerk fittings) and reinstall the oil drain plug. The kid then let down the car and procede to start the engine. He just didn't add the oil!

This is why I change my own oil. My father had a gas station/garage(ESSO) and we did all of our car repairs there(for everything of course)but, I think that he was retired and the station sold at this point but, I can't seem to remember all the details.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
This is only one of the reasons that I change my own oil:

I took my sisters 1972 Toyota Corrona MarkII to K Mart for a $4.44 lube, oil & filter.

You get what you pay for!
21.gif

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
sounds like the JIFFY Lube stories in here awhile back....

Reading all these stories, no wonder so many people advocate 3000 mile ocis. Think of all the things that could go wrong at an oil change.

1) A poor drain of old oil. Eg at Walmart I have seen cars sitting in a long line waiting for their oil change. The likelihood is that the oil is drained when it is quite cool.
2) A poorly tightened drain bolt, either too loose or too tight.
3) Reuse of a worn crush washer
4) Forgeting to change the filter
5) Poorly tightening the filter either over or under
6) Forgeting to oil the filter gasket
7) Using the wrong filter or a poor quality one
8) Using the wrong oil
9) Overfilling the oil
10) Underfilling the oil
11) Not filling the oil at all

Clearly 3000 mile oci is also some form of insurance against incompetence for the trustful owner.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
sounds like the JIFFY Lube stories in here awhile back....

Reading all these stories, no wonder so many people advocate 3000 mile ocis. Think of all the things that could go wrong at an oil change.

1) A poor drain of old oil. Eg at Walmart I have seen cars sitting in a long line waiting for their oil change. The likelihood is that the oil is drained when it is quite cool.
2) A poorly tightened drain bolt, either too loose or too tight.
3) Reuse of a worn crush washer
4) Forgeting to change the filter
5) Poorly tightening the filter either over or under
6) Forgeting to oil the filter gasket
7) Using the wrong filter or a poor quality one
8) Using the wrong oil
9) Overfilling the oil
10) Underfilling the oil
11) Not filling the oil at all

Clearly 3000 mile oci is also some form of insurance against incompetence for the trustful owner.

Two problems here. First, virtually all of these problems have the potential for creating very rapid disaster. Whether you plan to change oil at 3k or 10k miles, any one of these issues can kill an engine on short order.

Second, a 3/3 oil change is NOT "insurance" against anything. Insurance provides financial protection if a covered peril causes a loss. Paying for needless oil changes involves paying good money for something you don't need -- a very different thing.

These issue is not just at quick lubes. My dad has been taking his truck to the same dealer for 10+ years for service. On a 4 hrs drive home (about a couple of miles from home) his oil light came on. He pulled into the dealer to have them check it out. The oil filter was hardly on and most of the oil had leaked out. They put a new one on and filled it back up with oil. I never had a problem with any quick lube such as Jiffy Lube. I'm sure places like JL gets a bad rep becasue they change so many oil and it's more likely for something to go wrong than a dealer. My friend's sister took her car to Wal-Mart fot the oil change and they forgot to put the oil cap back on, the engine died later that day but the manager agreed to pay for what the car was worth.

Last edited:
I work at a Toyota dealership and I learned this from the master tech. If your ever doing an oil change first thing you do is remove the oil cap and place it next to the hood latch. That way if you ever forgot to add oil and close the hood it won't fully close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back